H&M

Updated August 20, 2014

3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part (in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M (in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved it!

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Geneva, IL

Pros

The family atmosphere, first dibs on cool clothes, the 25% was awesome! We would get free food when we met goal.

Cons

The long hours. The 1-10 shift is the devil lol. Sometimes we didn't have a store manager but when we did they were super strict and didn't make work easy. Also I think we should have had a 5 min grace period before we clock in. Because sometimes the managers could do it but the regular sales advisors couldn't. And they will doc you for being 1 min late. If they want to. It depends on the sup that day.

Change the attendance policy or make a grace period. That's Why H&M turnover rate is so high because on attendance.

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Many opportunities are available, and you get to meet a variety of people with vibrant personalities. Also: employee discounts!

Cons

Not AS flexible a schedule as I needed, and I had to miss out on a lot of things in university that could have benefited me. I had to put work first - have to pay the bills somehow.

Please, be more flexible with scheduling!

H&M is everything a college student looks for in a job!

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Tempe, AZ

Pros

H&M pay is more than reasonable for what it is. H&M more than a job, it seemed like a family. They value every single one of their employees and they want you to succeed with them. You get many opportunities to grow with them. Most store managers started as part time sales advisors. How crazy is that?

Cons

Customers can sometimes be very demanding of you and it may be overwhelming when trying to accomplish one of the many fun tasks management has assigned for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

cool job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

friends i made were cool, checks were good

Cons

not enough people on the clock workload gets heavy

hire more people !

Good place to Grow and Save money!!

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Washington, DC

Pros

I've been doing retail for a minute now.So far so good.I think that working at H&m gives you room to grow.They also start you off with great pay. Co-workers are nice.They have great benefits as well.

Cons

Being a new employee, training can sometimes be a little crucial. There are people who are just rude and don't know how to talk to people..

They need to be a little mindful of how they approach people ,Be a little more uplifting.

H&M is a great company. Just don't work in the DC Market.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

pay and benefits. industry-leading training programs on coaching and merchandising.

Cons

favoritism, Eurocentric. promotes the wrong people, senior leaders within district are lazy and do not follow the core values

Stop promoting people that babysit your kids. Stop promoting people where their husband stole money and got fired and you feel bad. Think about your actions and what it looks like to all the staff that wants to grow.

It was Ok.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

Pros

This company has a great business model that starts at the top and trickles down to the bottom. All retail employees start at the same level and then you have the opportunity to prove yourself and work upwards. Pay was decent.

Cons

I was working at a new store with a lot of younger people who were JUST starting off in retail. A lot of immaturity from the employees and those trying to "prove" themselves. Too many managers with conflicting ways of wanting to do things. Felt like I was in a circus many times.

Cool coworkers, very tiring work, understaffed

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part. For longer shifts you get 15 minute breaks and 1 (unpaid) hour break. The discount is nice. It's fun being around trends and listening to the store's soundtrack. It was a decent job while being in school since the starting pay is higher than most retailers. Some people have stayed with the company for years and received promotions. For staff meetings and overnight shifts there would be potlucks and free food. If sales were high, you'd get free food too.

Cons

The work itself can be very tiring. Expect sore feet after 9 hour shifts. The biggest con was being constantly understaffed. H&M is a very busy store in this area and having 1 person on the floor opening on Sunday morning is stressful. This means you run the register, fitting room, sales floor, AND answer the phone. Even with 2 people it's difficult.

There's also favoritism amongst managers and advisors/visuals, so promotions aren't always based on work performance. If you're new or not a manager's favorite, you can get stuck on register for your entire shift. But there are several floor managers so each shift is different. And as always, the customers can be a bit rude, but I think more so at H&M because of the cheap price-point. The store was always a mess at closing.

Great company but...

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chicago, IL

Pros

They have great values, great time-off policies and a lot of team activities. They try to be very upbeat and productive in constantly advancing. Management is nice and co-workers are nice.

Cons

They claimed that they help people move forward in the company but they sometimes play favorites. If you do not get to shine in front of management then good luck moving to a higher position. Hours are retail hours and even after hours, which means you will be working nights and weekends which is difficult for people who have children. This job is good for people that do not mind crazy hours and who do not mind if they do not get promoted.

Make sure to treat everyone equally, do not help one person advance just because you were friends with them before or because you have more in common with one person. There are various talented people in the customer service center, so make sure to acknowledge them as well.

it was great

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Miami, FL

Pros

the people are friendly great benefits

Cons

bad management staff, based on favoritism

bad management staff

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!