H&M Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part (in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M (in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

cool job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

friends i made were cool, checks were good

Cons

not enough people on the clock workload gets heavy

hire more people !

Good place to Grow and Save money!!

Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been doing retail for a minute now.So far so good.I think that working at H&m gives you room to grow.They also start you off with great pay. Co-workers are nice.They have great benefits as well.

Cons

Being a new employee, training can sometimes be a little crucial. There are people who are just rude and don't know how to talk to people..

They need to be a little mindful of how they approach people ,Be a little more uplifting.

H&M is a great company. Just don't work in the DC Market.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at H&M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay and benefits. industry-leading training programs on coaching and merchandising.

Cons

favoritism, Eurocentric. promotes the wrong people, senior leaders within district are lazy and do not follow the core values

Stop promoting people that babysit your kids. Stop promoting people where their husband stole money and got fired and you feel bad. Think about your actions and what it looks like to all the staff that wants to grow.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was Ok.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

This company has a great business model that starts at the top and trickles down to the bottom. All retail employees start at the same level and then you have the opportunity to prove yourself and work upwards. Pay was decent.

Cons

I was working at a new store with a lot of younger people who were JUST starting off in retail. A lot of immaturity from the employees and those trying to "prove" themselves. Too many managers with conflicting ways of wanting to do things. Felt like I was in a circus many times.

Cool coworkers, very tiring work, understaffed

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at H&M part-time for more than a year

Pros

H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part. For longer shifts you get 15 minute breaks and 1 (unpaid) hour break. The discount is nice. It's fun being around trends and listening to the store's soundtrack. It was a decent job while being in school since the starting pay is higher than most retailers. Some people have stayed with the company for years and received promotions. For staff meetings and overnight shifts there would be potlucks and free food. If sales were high, you'd get free food too.

Cons

The work itself can be very tiring. Expect sore feet after 9 hour shifts. The biggest con was being constantly understaffed. H&M is a very busy store in this area and having 1 person on the floor opening on Sunday morning is stressful. This means you run the register, fitting room, sales floor, AND answer the phone. Even with 2 people it's difficult.

There's also favoritism amongst managers and advisors/visuals, so promotions aren't always based on work performance. If you're new or not a manager's favorite, you can get stuck on register for your entire shift. But there are several floor managers so each shift is different. And as always, the customers can be a bit rude, but I think more so at H&M because of the cheap price-point. The store was always a mess at closing.

it was great

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

the people are friendly great benefits

Cons

bad management staff, based on favoritism

bad management staff

Great company but...

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at H&M full-time

Pros

They have great values, great time-off policies and a lot of team activities. They try to be very upbeat and productive in constantly advancing. Management is nice and co-workers are nice.

Cons

They claimed that they help people move forward in the company but they sometimes play favorites. If you do not get to shine in front of management then good luck moving to a higher position. Hours are retail hours and even after hours, which means you will be working nights and weekends which is difficult for people who have children. This job is good for people that do not mind crazy hours and who do not mind if they do not get promoted.

Make sure to treat everyone equally, do not help one person advance just because you were friends with them before or because you have more in common with one person. There are various talented people in the customer service center, so make sure to acknowledge them as well.

Friendly environment but overworked

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at H&M part-time for less than a year

Pros

A fun environment to work in with many different individuals with different personalities.

Cons

Super busy on weekends and holidays but that's a given with retail jobs.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at H&M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

H&M as an overall company was great to work for. Excellent health benefits and amazing opportunities to travel and open stores.

Cons

Store level management was a joke. Favoritism ran rampant as those with little skill would be promoted quickly due to their friends in higher places. Professionalism is near non-existent as management would gossip and act inappropriately on the sales floor often.

Hire people who can contribute to the success of a store and/or district, not people who are experts at "playing politics".

ok i guess

I worked at H&M for less than a year

Pros

good comapny, great discount,excellent working staff

Cons

bad manageent, poor development favortism has a lot to do with it

pick better management you dont have to be 30 to be a manager

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!