H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish(in 53 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs extremely long hours the 4 months during tax season and the 5 months leading to(in 61 reviews)

• This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block(in 43 reviews)

I enjoy working at H & R Block each tax season

Client Services Professional and Receptionist (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsFlexible scheduling and work location is good

ConsNone really, I enjoy being a receptionist and so it really is a good situation for me

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to recognize your good workers and pay them accordingly

Great Company to work for, if you are willing to work, have a good attitude, and good customer service skills.

Office Manager I (Current Employee) Erie, PA

ProsGood pay (better than any national tax service chain), good bonuses, and great people to work with. Some people I worked with have been preparing taxes for 10-20 years with H&R Block. That's saying something.

ConsMostly a seasonal position for most. A better job for those who have another job or other form of financial support or retired. Tax program can be a challenge for some who have no patience.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport all your offices. Help them to grow and give them the resources necessary to do this. Give more incentives to them to return to work the next tax season.

A great seasonal job, make your own hours

Tax Professional (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsYou can make your own hours, work as hard as you want, promote yourself through your efforts and not because you know someone. You can learn as much as you want, take classes and practice as much as you want on your own. You are truly the master of your own course with this company. I could go on but there is not enough time in the day or room on this review.

ConsWhen the work comes in, it is busy, but when the slow times of late February and March come, then you may not get many hours, or you may get hours where there is nothing to do but study and do practice clients, you need to keep busy and be positive because those who are on commission are bitter and short tempered and this is not the best time to ask them for help. At the same time, this is the best time to improve your skills because the end of April is coming and if you don't want to be run over with new requests, you better be taking practice clients each and every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlock has really made changes to give the new people a chance to learn and get a handle on the work, but the older staff has no incentive to teach anything and as such they tend to withhold information and make it difficult for newer people to stay motivated. Also, as much as business requires schedules to be flexible, there should be a rule that schedules will not change daily or even in the middle of a shift. It is unfair to the un-expecting new person, and it could be a reason why you only have 28% retention of staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good learning experience, and flexible around your schedule.

Tax Advisor (Former Employee) Union City, GA

ProsMany of the instructors are very good allowing you to get an excellent education about income tax each fall. If you specify in the system when you aren't available to work you won't be scheduled then. Advancement is mostly closed to stupid people.

ConsAlmost no hours even during the busiest weeks of the year. Very annoying politics in whatever office you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Corey Sutton (district supervisor) pay a $50 fine to each person whose ears are ringing after a speech because he yells constantly.

Great office and staff-but poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe office staff was great and the tax preparers are basically self employed, so they are invested in making things work without the stress of having to answer to any boss but the numbers.

ConsAnswering to the numbers sometimes encourages quantity not quality.
    Management where I worked was really mismanagement--causing tension where there should be none. The tax preparers ended up rescuing the office and boosting moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind managers with a little more finesse and experience. Have the entire office peer review management, after all the money is in the office and the office is the preparers and support staff.

Thankful it's temporary!

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) Eatontown, NJ

ProsFun working relationships. Like helping people.

ConsSales pressures were so not worth the pay... I signed up to do taxes, not sell products!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a receptionist, my days at work were great! Do your job and go home! As a first year tax preparer, I felt like a salesperson! Sell the extended service plan, push emerald cards, more more more! So, instead of just looking forward to the unique personalities and situations everyday, I was dreading what product I would need to push when my manager walked through the door. As a first year, you don't commission, but you are faced with the same pressures as the commission based "seniors"! But, it's extra money in your pockets for 4 months... that's why most people keep going back! Paying off that loan or summer vacation!

Build a mansion with popsicle sticks

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsExtremely capable professionals, strong brand, great training resources
    This position is great for gaining experience and building a resume. You will get experience in a lot of areas very quickly. The workforce includes some of the most amazing individuals you will find.

ConsNo money to work with, complicated approval process for projects, contradicting priorities
    You will not be given the field resources or authority to accomplish goals. The company will talk a big game but get very quiet and hide under the desk when finances are involved. Constant stream of demands from corporate office and regional leadership make it hard to stay focused on local efforts and plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe position needs to be year round with increased responsibility. Why have skilled marketing professionals if you will not trust them to make basic decisons? Marketing Coordinators also need resources to accomplish goals in the field. You will not gain many clients with approx. $1000 per office yearly marketing budgets. Especially when the money is being used/watsed by District Managers and Operations Staff.

Many Years, but time to leave.

Senior Tax Advisor I (Former Employee) South Suburban, IL

ProsThey are very flexible with hours, some of the people that you work with are great, I had the best manager in the world.

ConsCommission based job, co-workers steal clients, expected to sell products.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe main reason I left my Block was because of it being a commission job and co-workers are able to steal clients. If management puts things in place, some co-workers don't care and they will find away around it. Daytime employees are able to work all day, there should be a cutoff time for them. They should only be able to work after their shift if they are going to take care of one their clients. The phone calls that are taken during the day from clients that have not been assigned to someone and want an evening or weekend appointment, should be given to the night/weekend employees. It is very hard to work this job as a part time evening/weekend employee.

Not enough work.

Tax Professional (Former Employee) Swainsboro, GA

ProsTraining was okay I guess. It lasted for about four months. Pay was okay. There were no additional benefits to the job.

ConsMy extra efforts weren't recognized when I went above and beyond the call of duty. Management didn't come in very often. You were pretty much on your own most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie about there being more work when there isn't any.

Nightmare @ HRB

Tax Specialist III (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsExperience, experience, experience, experience and experience.

ConsLow pay and Bonus. Can be rather cut-throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as assets, not liabilities.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!