H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros:
  • "there is a very flexible work schedule"
    in 55 reviews
  • "H&R Block offers a very thorough basic course on personal income taxes"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "The survey of clients during tax season is not a good survey to assess TPs"
    in 52 reviews
  • "This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

What to expect

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible scheduling, work site location requests are considered sincerely to promote worker satisfaction. Since this is a seasonal position, workers qualify for unemployment benefits.

ConsThis is not a job to completely depend on for a living wage. The normal pay for customer service reps is $9 per hour, which is also a seasonal, part time position. Which you will have to compete for even those few hours with other customer service reps.

Office Manager 1/ CSL

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Charleston, SC

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for less than a year

ProsThe required classroom training is a step above the "rest". Being able, as manager to make your own schedule is the plus. The overall possibilities would be a "great" and "challenging" experience but .....

Cons1st year Managers are expected to learn independently. The hours can be long without the cooperation of your staff and scheduling; and the hourly salary doesn't compensate for this. Too many policies and procedures cramped into a few meets, that are basically above your head, since you're not as "familiar" with the company as others (2nd, 3rd, 4th year employes); but you're expected to remember these things for the entire tax season, without question. At time the clients can be more enjoyable then your co-worker. Theres too much inter-company gossiping and clicks (basically from senior employees that have been grandfather in). They'd rather judge and talk about you, than to give you any support. There's the illusion of team work, but it only last until first peak; then you're on your own. Your "team-players" (including management) attitudes and demeanor changes. There's way too many chiefs and not enough indians; this include most of the senior tax pros. Respect is only earned after you become equally or more knowledgable then your predecessors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a 1st manager and tax pro; the policy and procedures written in black and white, states the DM is to mentor the new manager in. This should be utilized and practiced. It's "extremely overwhelming to learn and carry through on all the policies and procedures of two different positions; all before peak season. Especially when each position consist of certain things that should be completed before you could began utilizing those responsibilities. This does not include the last minute changes and additional information being thrown at you, up until that point. Also getting to know the various personalities and attitudes of the tax pros assigned under your leadership is another challenge in itself. There's is no support system in place; that's doesn't offend "other" leaders time, assistance and patience. My personal experience has left me feeling used and abused. I did not feel valued as a employee. I felt as if was I was placed in that position because there were no other choices available. I was actually expecting to be and get more.

Office Manager's Work for very little money!

Office Manager III (Current Employee)

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsIf you like to work hard with very little pay this is the Company for you.

ConsNot enough staff. Not enough pay. They have way to many targets to hit, this season 12. If you are on salary they make you work 70 hours a week. This is my last season with H&R Block. The Targets have become so high there is no possible way to get your Season Bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the high office targets and get some new Tax Professionals that know how to do tax returns.

Great growth in income tax prep training and experience. Ability to train at home via computer. Lots of resources!

Tax Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of support by other staff, owners and company training

ConsNo shows for appts. Taxpayers unhappy when owe taxes to IRS and State.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater pay for tax pros

Everyone I work with are amazing.

Customer Service Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at H&R Block part-time

ProsCo-workers
Management
Customers are nice
Office is clean
Organization

ConsPay
Not too much room for advancement
none

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great place to work

Csp (Current Employee)
Laredo, TX

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsMy coworkers are all very professional and the environment is always a positive and efficient one

ConsDuring peak season there is a lot of people so you need to learn to be patient and not take things personal if a client is upset and begins complaining. and its only seasonal

Flexibility and world-class training opportunities

Tax Advisor (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor for more than 8 years

Prosflexible scheduling, office of your choice, best training in the industry (no maximum--you can take advantage of as much as you want), most of all, wonderful, loyal clientele

Consannoying mandates from Corporate, high fees for clients that sometimes can't be justified

Advice to Senior Managementallow individual offices a bit more leeway in handing out fee reductions to loyal, returning clients or others with overinflated billing

H&R Block is Great!!!

First Year Tax Professional (Current Employee)
Huntington, WV

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsThis company is innovative, dedicate and about helping America rather than just to get them as clientele. H&R Block truly does care

ConsThe only con that I can think of is that we charge for 1040-EZs now

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on trying to lower our prices for the 1040-EZs and instead of having our businesses in a set location, why do we not branch out to store like Wal-Mart where there is a heavy flow of people everyday. We could consider it as our company trying to better serve our clients by making ourselves more accessible and convenient.

Nice place to work at..

Tax Professional (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible schedule and opportunity to grow..

ConsLow pay for first year but it is more of the paid training..

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing a good job :)

Seasonal Marketing Coodinator

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at H&R Block as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with. There are a lot of things done for you, you just have to use them. Excellent training & support system!

ConsSeasonal work (only from Oct to Apr). Long hours including evenings and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you significantly change a job, from season to season, make it perfectly clear what those changes are. Support your people!

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H&R Block CEO William C. Cobb. All 653 reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees.