H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros:
  • "there is a very flexible work schedule"
    in 55 reviews
  • "H&R Block offers a very thorough basic course on personal income taxes"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "The survey of clients during tax season is not a good survey to assess TPs"
    in 52 reviews
  • "This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

tax asociate

Tax Associate (Former Employee)
Vineland, NJ

I worked at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsGood place to get up the knowledge in tax preparation

ConsThe compensation was no really good in the first year, because is really low the rate

I love working for hr block

Field Systems Technician (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI get to travel trough out western Pennsylvania. Work my own hours. No micro management. My lead is great to work for. Get paid to travel.

ConsI can use more hours. Pay rate is on the low side for my profession. Some of the older tax professionals don't have any patience.

Loved it.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

ProsGaining of tax knowledge,endless opportunity to learn, plenty of advancement opportunities, meeting new people, and enjoyment of giving advice to clients. Flexible to work with your schedual.

ConsStarting pay and lack of hours given to work.
Every franchise is run differently because of management/owner so if you are not happy working for one franchise another may suit you better. Hours vary per paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is plenty of room for advancement and pay.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Side Career

Tax Professional II (Current Employee)
Columbus, GA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 5 years

ProsHRB culture is personable yet professional. The company provides tools to ensure success as a tax professional. Annual educational training costs only $20. You can take as many courses as needed, all online and your own pace. HRB makes certain you have correct credentials to prepare individual and small business taxes. Work hours vary according to your schedule.

ConsHourly rate is low but if you're willing to build your client base you can make $Ks (thousands) during the tax season.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone! They do a wonderful job and provides everything needed to be successful as a tax professional.

Comment on "underpaid" reviews

Seasonal Tax Preparer (Current Employee)
Flanders, NJ

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnderstand that you are not salaried employees. Your hourly rate is a draw against commission. You get paid based on what you earn for the Company. This means we have control over our compensation.

I started four years ago, 2011 tax season for 2010 tax year returns. I received minimum wage the first year. Though I was entitled to commissions my second year, I did not produce sufficiently to earn them. The last two years, though, I "hustled" and last year I earned my Enrolled Agent designation. (The cost of which was reimbursed to me, by the way). This has made a great difference. I also divide my work between two company offices - the commute to my "day job" makes it difficult to get to my "home" office, but this two has worked in my favor.

Last year I earned commission, based on which my draw increased to a little over $15. This year I produced significantly more and expect my draw to be over $20 per hour. I think that's fair. I know it's common in this industry...work for a CPA and they'll expect you to produce also.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this place to a friend...if you want to work and "earn your keep" (and yes, that means going out to find your own clients...sales-though with all their advertising, this is NOT a burden here). If you want to sit around "collecting your paycheck", this is NOT the place for you.

ConsI would like to see a higher commission rate. I'll be just over 23% this year and they "cap" at 27% for the largest returns (reduced from 30% in prior years). I've asked around to some CPA friends in my area, and they say 30-35% is more commom. But I must say (and I'm sure everyone reading this can attest) NO ONE advertises like HRB (think green bow tie!-) and that is EXTREMELY valuable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease open up your franchise opportunities again, especially in the NorthEast. I've attempted to discuss this and no one in Kansas City will take me seriously.

a learning experience

Tax Specialist (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities for advancements and they promote within.

ConsSome of the employees acting unprofessional and bringing their personal problems to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the tax professional as professionals and with respect and it will flow much smoother.

Neutral- either fast paced or very slow

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSeasonal, discount rate for tax course, PT works around your schedule

Conspay, seasonal, can be very slow paced when not in peak season

Worked part-time for company for more than ten years. Still employed there.

Tax Professional (Current Employee)
Torrance, CA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you're willing to work hard and learn, the earning potential can't be match by any other part-time position.

ConsWork stress. Managers are given nearly impossible quotas and goals, as are employees. Wide variety of skill level among tax professionals puts more pressure on the highly skilled people to support those with less knowledge/skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that storefronts aren't all alike. High-income areas are less likely to purchase some of the TPRG products like Emerald Cards and No Money Out of Pocket. TPRG is a great way to boost revenue as long as it isn't negatively impacting the core business of tax preparation.

Excellent work environment.

I have been working at H&R Block

ProsExcellent opportunities for growth. Self paced training to advance. It is up to the individual to make of it what he/she wants. The rewards are gratifying and on hand experience is excellent.

ConsJob is seasonal. Although there are a few year round offices it is not very easy to be assigned to one.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore year round stores to make it easier for clients to receive business services.

wonderful experience

Support Specialist (Former Employee)
Troy, MI

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company that's flexible and easy to work with your schedule, just work hard and do your best and keep the client happy, great focus on quality and customer service. I enjoyed my time there.

Constime off policy, personal growth for myself.

Advice to Senior Managementadvancement opportunities for all great employees.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H&R Block CEO William C. Cobb. All 653 reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees.