H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedule you set your hours"
    in 59 reviews
  • "The best thing about working at H&R Block is the work/life balance"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "This means during tax season you rarely get any time off"
    in 56 reviews
  • "This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Really fun and interesting job. I got to meet so many people who later became my clients.

Tax Professional (Current Employee)

ProsIt was a great experience for me as a student. It helped boost my resume a lot and I also enjoyed the environment and my co-workers. Knowing tax laws is very beneficial. I also built a nice client base and they even speak to me out in public during off season! It feels good to know that my clients appreciate my work.

ConsI have no problems or concerns with being an employee of H&R Block.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company to start preparing tax returns. A lot of things to learn if you demonstrated interest.

Tax Associate (Former Employee)
    San Juan, PR

ProsYou learned a lot of individual tax returns. Flexible work hours.

ConsThe composition is below average.

Great place to start a career if you have flexibility.

Customer Service Professional (Former Employee)
    Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsFlexible schedule. Good training, some of which is paid. Opportunity for advancement. Great coworkers. Nice work enviroment. Supportive supervisors/managers. Interesting and challenging work. Great place to gain some experience or make extra money if you have another job. Managers work year round.

ConsStarting salary is pretty low. It's not hidden from you, and the incentive is that you make more as you make more as you continue to grow your client list, become able to work faster, and to do more complex returns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a more reasonal higher starting salary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Answering phones, scheduling clients, and keeping the office supplies in stock.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part of working at H&R Block was the orginization of the office. Everything was in its place and where it needed to be. Also, the pay is fair starting off.

ConsSome of the co-Workers would fight and try to steel clients. They also had 2 other CSP so it was manditory to be part-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMostly everything worked well, except of the client steeling.

Great experience but wouldn't make a career out of it.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe team atmosphere make this job enjoyable. There is a system for everything. This company is organized. Pay is based on prior year revenue which makes it fair. Top Producers can earn as much as 60 bucks an hour or 100k during the 4 month tax season. Training is provided to become an Enrolled Agent. Enrolled agents can make 100k easily. You can become an Enrolled Agent in 1 year.

ConsPay is typically low. First year is typically minimum wage and you have to bring in and create clients. . Because it's seasonal, you should have another job on the side especially during your first years. The company gets 3 bucks for every buck they pay you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the bar on who is hired. Make it more difficult to get employed. Require that people know how to spell and communicate at an above high school level.

OK part-time job if you just want some extra money, but not a career

Client Service Professional (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe best things about this job were the co-workers. I worked with some very nice, hardworking people who weren't paid nearly enough for all of the crap they had to up sell to customers. Flexible schedules are offered, making it easy if you have another job.

ConsStupid marketing ploys, having to bug customers on the phone to set appointments, rude and misguided upper management who doesn't even know how to prepare taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, stop calling customers every 2 weeks who get irritated and don't want to be bothered, and lower the prices. I can't tell you how many customers never came back when they found out a simple return would cost them 80 bucks to start!

Very good training and update training and working with a team of talented people

Master Tax Advisor (Current Employee)
    Jupiter, FL

ProsI enjoy the challenges set forth by the clientele and finding solutions. I enjoy working s a team to find solution to more complex situation. Employees come from former work backgrounds which is a plus in the tax office.

Consworking around the outside duties that upper management think that we should include while trying our best to satisfy customer-outside marketing in the busy season instead of in the off season.

Advice to Senior Managementspend a week inside of an office in high voume itmes and learn not to impose outside training at that tim or outside marketing.

Marketing Coordinator

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome opportunity to get hands on experience with a variety of programs.

ConsSeasonal. Very little opportunity to grow.

Great Place to Work

Tax Preparer (Current Employee)
    Hoboken, NJ

ProsOther tax professionals are always there to help. Enjoy my clients

ConsSeasonal. Wish they offered more money off season.

franchise employee

Office Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI work for a franchise & the owners are great.

ConsIn following the corporate lead for advertising I feel that not enough is given to targeting local offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe national advertising material does not allow for local offices to add info.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at H&R Block reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for H&R Block CEO William C. Cobb. All 764 reviews posted anonymously by H&R Block employees.