H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish(in 53 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else(in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs extremely long hours the 4 months during tax season and the 5 months leading to(in 61 reviews)

• This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block(in 43 reviews)

Office Manager... Great place to start

Office Manager I (Current Employee) Charleston, IL

ProsGreat training opportunities, great co-workers. You pick your hours. Excellent job experience and reference. Transfer is very easy. Tax advice and free tax preparation.

ConsStarting hourly pay is pretty low vs work and administrative responsibilities. Only seasonal work. Extend hours .

Good Place to Work

ProsThe environment is laid back and expectations are outlined very clearly for you. Training for the job was thorough and ongoing. Supervisors/Senior staff members would readily available for questions and assisting you when needed.

ConsThe seasonal nature of the job is the only con to working there.

has opened the door to many career and job opportunities.

Receptionist (Former Employee) Des Moines, WA

ProsFriendly and patient supervisors. Diversity of clients. So much to learn.

ConsA few difficult customers. Some things are complex to explain to clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company built on seasonal staff; should treat us that way

Tax Researcher At the Tax Institute (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWorking at the HQ is a professional and enjoyable experience; I had good managers who encouraged me to do my best work and were fun people to work with

ConsThis year, seasonal staff was no longer able to get health insurance coverage during tax season; this was stressful and disappointing and made me feel like I wasn't valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestore seasonal health insurance coverage, and don't blame the Affordable Care Act for not giving seasonal employees this benefit: it's disingenuous and is NOT doing the right thing.

Ease Into the Tax World

Tax Associate (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe company is interested in training and retaining employees so they will return year after year for this seasonal job. They also require employees to continue taking courses each year, so your knowledge will continue to grow (not just experience).

ConsI worked in a busy office, and I didn't receive as much supervision as I was told I would. The intention was to ease new employees into the role and work with a mentor until capable/comfortable working by themselves. Unfortunately, a big rush started for a few weeks, and there wasn't time for this.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to ensure that all new employees will be comfortable working alone with clients before requiring them to do so.

Wonderful company and rewarding experience.

Tax Associate (Former Employee) Houghton, MI

ProsAllows flexibility in schedule.
    They provide continuing education.

ConsOnly seasonal employment in my area.

Great place to start a career if you have flexibility.

Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsFlexible schedule. Good training, some of which is paid. Opportunity for advancement. Great coworkers. Nice work enviroment. Supportive supervisors/managers. Interesting and challenging work. Great place to gain some experience or make extra money if you have another job. Managers work year round.

ConsStarting salary is pretty low. It's not hidden from you, and the incentive is that you make more as you make more as you continue to grow your client list, become able to work faster, and to do more complex returns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a more reasonal higher starting salary.

Really fun and interesting job. I got to meet so many people who later became my clients.

Tax Professional (Current Employee)

ProsIt was a great experience for me as a student. It helped boost my resume a lot and I also enjoyed the environment and my co-workers. Knowing tax laws is very beneficial. I also built a nice client base and they even speak to me out in public during off season! It feels good to know that my clients appreciate my work.

ConsI have no problems or concerns with being an employee of H&R Block.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Answering phones, scheduling clients, and keeping the office supplies in stock.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe best part of working at H&R Block was the orginization of the office. Everything was in its place and where it needed to be. Also, the pay is fair starting off.

ConsSome of the co-Workers would fight and try to steel clients. They also had 2 other CSP so it was manditory to be part-time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMostly everything worked well, except of the client steeling.

Technical support

ProsEasy job , relaxing at times helping tax pros with software issues.

ConsNone so far.My experience has been pretty good so far nothing has made me think bad of it yet.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!