H&R Block Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb
William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish (in 53 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs extremely long hours the 4 months during tax season and the 5 months leading to (in 61 reviews)

• This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great chance to learn new skills.

Current Employee - Tax Specialist
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Schedule and location flexibility
    great training available

Cons

No real opportunities for advancement and most positions are seasonal.

Pay unemployment to long time seasonal employees. How do you expect to retain experienced professionals when you can only offer them 3 months of employment?

Best in the business

Current Employee - Client Service Leader
    Current Employee - Client Service Leader

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Block trains their tax pros more than most. It is a seasonal position so it is a 2nd job for most. Great coworkers who share knowledge and encourage collaboration

Cons

They do not pay enough to keep the talent. The commissions in smaller offices are limited thus putting you back to minimum wage. I should go back to the old way where there was hourly with additional commissions with increases each year. The talent is aging and do not care but they are retiring. Summer hourly associates make the same as our local mental disabilities workshop people do.

Consider higher wages. Keep talent that we have rather than train new.

Enrolled Agent with 10-years tax prep experience, preparing business and individual tax returns.
    IRS negotiations.

Current Employee - Master Tax Advisor  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Master Tax Advisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great tax educational system, plus flexible work schedule. Good team spirit.

Cons

Non tax preparation work, such as marketing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tax Specialist

Former Employee - Tax Specialist III  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Tax Specialist III in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

H&R Block has great online or instructor led training and continuing education for it's prospective and seasonal employees. They have high expectations for excellency being an industry leader, requiring those to pass with at least 80 percent to be hired or promoted within company. There are plenty of opportunities available for advancement as well as the ability to franchise if one has an entrepreneurial character. Great tax and financial products at competitive rates for the consumer. The branding of the company makes it efficient to market for new clientele. Incentives, promotions and contests for associates to meet goals. Decent management, technical and back office support through their intranet site and toll free numbers to do your job effectively, even in the midst of issues. A great job overall as it is recession proof, a good fit for students, retirees or anyone looking to supplement income or start a new career.

Cons

It is a seasonal position, so it may not be for everybody. Also, shifts and hours are based on seniority and level of expertise so expect to work part time overall and only working full time or overtime during peak tax season. Despite being paid hourly and biweekly, it is a commissioned position. The company keeps track of gross commissions and any commissions earned that exceed what was already paid in regular wages will be issued as a separate bonus check at the end of tax season. This is something most first year (or even post 2nd year) tax associates misunderstand when they get hired as it concerns compensation.

Learn to set realistic goals for the office and staff given their levels of expertise and scheduling. It would be nice for regional and district management to provide better support to the local office managers during the season, not just when something bad happens or they exceeded company expectations.

Love my job!

Current Employee - Tax Associate  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the flexibility, growth opportunities, amazing office level leadership, ongoing educational opportunities, open-door policy and my coworkers. I am constantly being offered management training, instructor training, and other career growth opportunities. This job is definitely what you make of it!

Cons

Pay is low in the beginning. There is a certification process in order to get higher pay, but it is doable.

my experience at H&r block was Productive in learning how to dfeal with clients and staff

Former Employee - Office Leader  in  Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Office Leader in Queens Village, NY

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you learn how to do taxes and you meet a variety of different people

Cons

when business is slow there are lack of hours

try being more open with the staff to learn ways to make company better

Have worked as a tax professional seasonally since 1998 and do return every year.

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

I very much enjoy doing tax returns and working with most clients, so the job itself is an excellent fit for me. One of the best benefits is all the tax courses available to employees for only $20 a year.

Cons

Getting enough hours is sometimes an issue as is getting the hours one is available rather than being asked to work non-preferred hours, however it's not that big a deal in an office where everyone gets along and works as a team. I also wish the pay were a bit higher although I can influence that by raising my certification level through testing - the problem with that is finding the time to do it (non-paid, naturally).

Doing good so far!

Great staff to work with.

Former Employee - Tax Preparer  in  Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Tax Preparer in Metairie, LA

I worked at H&R Block part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff welcomes new employers and explain the new rules for the individual taxes.

Cons

Keeping all clients appointment everyday.

Tax Associate

I worked at H&R Block part-time

Pros

It was very educational to join the training program to learn about taxes and of course it is nice to be paid when/if you pass the tests and get work later.

Cons

Well it is a seasonal position, so it wasn't something you could count on having all year and it is hard to do training if you are in college full time as well or have a lot of other things to do. I noticed it was hard to understand some of the abbreviations and terms used employee handouts. It was as if management assumed the new people were in the know. But I think they tried hard to be a good place to work.

I don't have too much to say.

Seasonal FST

Current Employee - Field Service Tech  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Field Service Tech in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

Pros

autonomy and travel money is fair. Can be very challenging and a lot of fun.

Cons

Total lack of communication on operational matters to many managers and no direct Line of
    command. sometimes the payroll screws up and no real provision to replace lost info except
    within regular cycle. There is a lot of selectivity with in the structure and this causes unfair
    abuses.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!