H&R Block

H&R Block Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb

William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish (in 53 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs extremely long hours the 4 months during tax season and the 5 months leading to (in 61 reviews)

• This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

The environment is welcoming, I loved everyone in the office.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)

ProsManagers are very flexible with your schedule. The training is great because they prepare you very well.

ConsThe compensation is not very appealing.

I enjoyed working at H&R Block

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed working at the office I worked at. Great people and I learned a lot.

ConsTerrible pay for new employee. Biggest complaint from client, over charging.

The experience was a learning and growing experience

Client Service Professional (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPros: learn new skills, software, how to prepare taxes, meet interesting people, learn to work under pressure, free training on new tax laws

ConsHaving to deal with multiple personalities especially the senior members who feel that they are entitled to NOT have to follow the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the needs of the associates and do not jump to conclusions if there are misunderstandings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Office Manager... Great place to start

Office Manager I (Current Employee) Charleston, IL

ProsGreat training opportunities, great co-workers. You pick your hours. Excellent job experience and reference. Transfer is very easy. Tax advice and free tax preparation.

ConsStarting hourly pay is pretty low vs work and administrative responsibilities. Only seasonal work. Extend hours .

Good Place to Work

ProsThe environment is laid back and expectations are outlined very clearly for you. Training for the job was thorough and ongoing. Supervisors/Senior staff members would readily available for questions and assisting you when needed.

ConsThe seasonal nature of the job is the only con to working there.

has opened the door to many career and job opportunities.

Receptionist (Former Employee) Des Moines, WA

ProsFriendly and patient supervisors. Diversity of clients. So much to learn.

ConsA few difficult customers. Some things are complex to explain to clients.

A company built on seasonal staff; should treat us that way

Tax Researcher At the Tax Institute (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWorking at the HQ is a professional and enjoyable experience; I had good managers who encouraged me to do my best work and were fun people to work with

ConsThis year, seasonal staff was no longer able to get health insurance coverage during tax season; this was stressful and disappointing and made me feel like I wasn't valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestore seasonal health insurance coverage, and don't blame the Affordable Care Act for not giving seasonal employees this benefit: it's disingenuous and is NOT doing the right thing.

Ease Into the Tax World

Tax Associate (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe company is interested in training and retaining employees so they will return year after year for this seasonal job. They also require employees to continue taking courses each year, so your knowledge will continue to grow (not just experience).

ConsI worked in a busy office, and I didn't receive as much supervision as I was told I would. The intention was to ease new employees into the role and work with a mentor until capable/comfortable working by themselves. Unfortunately, a big rush started for a few weeks, and there wasn't time for this.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to ensure that all new employees will be comfortable working alone with clients before requiring them to do so.

Wonderful company and rewarding experience.

Tax Associate (Former Employee) Houghton, MI

ProsAllows flexibility in schedule.
    They provide continuing education.

ConsOnly seasonal employment in my area.

Great place to start a career if you have flexibility.

Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsFlexible schedule. Good training, some of which is paid. Opportunity for advancement. Great coworkers. Nice work enviroment. Supportive supervisors/managers. Interesting and challenging work. Great place to gain some experience or make extra money if you have another job. Managers work year round.

ConsStarting salary is pretty low. It's not hidden from you, and the incentive is that you make more as you make more as you continue to grow your client list, become able to work faster, and to do more complex returns.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have a more reasonal higher starting salary.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!