H&R Block Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
3.6

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb
William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish (in 54 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Its more for retired people or people who just want a part time job during tax season (in 68 reviews)

• Must compete with online software, including, H&R Block website (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Company - they truly do the right thing for clients, associates, and shareholders

Current Employee - Sourcing Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sourcing Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

This is a pay-for-performance environment. If you are effective and can drive business change/value, you will be very successful here. The senior management team is the best. They are highly ethical and have a true vision and strategy for the future. This is the best place to work. The vision of Henry Bloch are still alive and well here. The management team is top-notch, communicates frequently, and always has the best interest of the company and the associates at heart.

Cons

There are no cons from my perspective.

Keep doing the right thing! The decisions made to date have been very positive for the associates and our shareholders. Thank you for having the right strategic vision to move us forward into the future. Thank you for believing in the associates and letting them flourish in a very learning-friendly environment.

Growth opportunity is there...you just have to work at it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company does put a lot of energy around internal talent development. I think the key is that associates need to have the initiative to take advantage of it, or work for a leader who makes it a priority. I've been promoted 4 times since starting work at the company, so the opportunities are definitely available.

Cons

There is a lot of "us versus them" mentality among different departments and between the corporate headquarters and the field. It has improved dramatically in the last few years, but still has a long way to go. There is an excellent framework to company values, but associates don't necessarily exhibit those values regularly.

I am an employee

Current Employee - Client Services Professional and Receptionist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Client Services Professional and Receptionist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Professional and Helpful staff.

Cons

Most of the work year is seasonal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best in the Tax Prep Industry / Primarily a Seasonal Employer

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

H&R Block strives to provide the strongest tax theory training for it's Tax Preparers and works diligently to improve the tools and resources available to it's Associates. There is a strong focus on Client Service and has been increased emphasis on Associate Satisfaction in recent years. 90%+ of positions are Seasonal annually in the January through April timeframe. Best Pro for considering working at H&R Block is that it is the Industry Leader and has strong stability - having been providing it's products and services for almost 60 years.

Cons

Too much pressure to sell additional add on products to Clients and Field Leadership is forced to evaluate Associates performance more based on these aspects than the accuracy of the returns they prepare and their overall Tax Knowledge. Associate Benefits have been minimized even though senior leadership consistently touts desire to increase employee satisfaction.

Prepared tax returns for clients using online tax program

Former Employee - Tax Associate  in  West Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in West Haven, CT

I worked at H&R Block part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Compensation was good, but not great.

Cons

No room for advancement whatsoever.

Make positions permanent.

Good company to work at if you like working with people.

I worked at H&R Block

Pros

You can start from zero and in the first year have more than 80 clients that will most likely come back the following year.

Cons

Other tax preparers steal your clients, and if you want to honestly help their clients when they're waiting, they think you want to steal the clients from them, too much paranoia, everyone is in a defensive mode.

Office managers should organize who gets the clients, there are clients waiting for hours while other preparers are free.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Tax Associate
    Former Employee - Tax Associate

I worked at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my time working for H&R Block. It was a great learning experience working alongside some good, knowledgeable people. H&R Block offers their own educational curriculum with courses covering issues concerning federal and state income taxes, but they also offer courses covering a number of necessary career skills that can transfer to other careers. Employees can take advantage of these learning experiences at their own pace while maintaining their continuing educations requirements. There is an annual fee of $20, but they do provide all of the materials you need to learn and grow for that cost. The only other requirement is to complete your required continuing education courses within H&R Block's timetable, and they will work with you to accomplish that as long as you take responsibility for your career. That was one aspect I really liked about working for H&R Block because I always strive to learn new things and improve myself. I worked in an office with coworkers who seemed to get along well most of the time. There were times when tension was high, but you have that at any job. Working peak season in a tax office will definitely test anyone's patience to the limit. You just have to keep that in mind at those times. There are opportunities to earn commissions and incentives beyond the hourly base pay. Scheduling is very flexible for employees who have job or family obligations, so work-life balance is better than many other jobs. I've also met many great clients who taught me as much as I taught them.

Cons

H&R Block is seasonal employment for most employees. That does somewhat limit opportunities for growth and advancement for employees seeking a career path. Most employees have other jobs to fill in the gaps outside of tax season. It can sometimes be stressful to fit a year of work into about three months. The base pay for tax professional jobs is too low, but there are opportunities to earn incentives and commissions on top of the base pay. One thing I really disliked about working at H&R Block was the constant push to sell tax plus offerings to clients. Management is very high pressure on upselling the extras, and they will nag you to death about increasing your numbers at all times. Even if you are meeting or exceeding their preset goals, they will hound you to do more. Another thing I disliked about working at H&R Block was their obsession with marketing. Some types of networking events like tax talks or having a booth at community events to increase visibility were fine. However, management often expected you to go door-to-door begging other businesses to distribute flyers. They also expected you to constantly call on clients to set appointments, remind them of appointments in addition to the national call centers also constantly calling clients. Clients don't like the constant nagging, and neither did I. Management also had all sorts of visibility gimmicks like putting out tons of signs, balloons, banners everywhere they could. They even wanted employees to stand out and wave at traffic on occasion as if we were some sort of panhandlers. The upselling and marketing tasks were overboard for me. I'm not the pushy type, and I sympathize with others who don't like people constantly pushing themselves on others. I find that aggravating, also. Plus, I felt like these activities were distracting from the primary task of growing my knowledge and competence as a tax professional. These activities were a major turn off for me. Plus, I also worked another job on a year-round basis and had a family. I already felt enough limits on my time without additional stress of pushing since H&R Block has marketing people who are supposed to be taking care of these tasks. H&R Block is plagued by a lack of clear communication within the organization. One hand often does not know what the other hand is doing. You constantly have to ask repeatedly for information necessary to stay on top of things, and you still may find yourself outside the loop if you don't happen to ask the right people. I like things to be clear, simple, straight-forward, and consistent. Those things are hit and miss depending on who keeps you informed on what is going on at any given time.

When I was at H&R Block, I never understood why they didn't focus on offering year-round accounting services that would complement their tax business in all offices. Premium offices have these offerings. Also, management should back off their upselling and marketing gimmicks so tax professionals can focus on what they are paid to do -- taxes. If there were opportunities for year-round employment where I could have grown and developed my skills, I would have likely stayed with it. I enjoyed most aspects of working in the tax office, and I liked most of my colleagues and clients. I went to H&R Block to learn taxes, and that's what I wanted to do. All in all, I miss being at H&R Block, but their goals were not in line with my personal goals.

CSP

Current Employee - Client Service Professional  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Client Service Professional in Wichita, KS

I have been working at H&R Block full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love working seasonal. The people are nice and you recieve a free tax return

Cons

Short term employment and sometimes dealing with angry people

Professional work environment. Gained knowledge about tax laws.

Former Employee - Customer Service Professional  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Professional in Atlanta, GA

I worked at H&R Block part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours. Great for scheduling around classes if you are a student.

Cons

Low paying and seasonal position

Flexible scheduling, good team in office. Good work envionment

Current Employee - Tax Professional
    Current Employee - Tax Professional

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great to help clients. Mgr is easy going and very helpful. Works with you regarding schedule

Cons

Corporate wanted you go sell too many add on products. Force too much marketing on tax pros. I'm a numbers person not a sales person

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!