H&R Block Reviews

Reset
4.0
H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb
William C. Cobb

Pros
  • you are able to make a flexible schedule (in 58 reviews)

• Some people I worked with have been preparing taxes for 10-20 years with H&R Block (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • They simply were giving us false hopes so that we would not look for new jobs until the tax season is over (in 70 reviews)

• H&R Block is plagued by a lack of clear communication within the organization (in 49 reviews)

1. tax preparer

Former Employee - Professional Tax Preparer and Office Administrator in San Diego, CA

I worked at H&R Block (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, nice office and neighborhood.

Cons

the price are too much

2. Tax Professional 1

Current Employee - Tax Professional I in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Tax Professional I in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at H&R Block full-time

Pros

Help people to make a good filling

Cons

It is a Seasonal job

Advice to Management

give Insurance

3. Tax pro

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinesville, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hinesville, GA

Pros

Get your return +5 for free

Cons

Taking test to be able to talk to irs on clients behalf

5. Not a bad seasonal job

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Champaign, IL

I worked at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was at a location with good people, but I have heard from friends in smaller towns that sometimes workers are lazy and incompetent. I enjoyed working at Mattis ave. in Champaign-- there were plenty of experienced people who took the time to help less experienced people out. The training (3-4 months worth for a beginning tax associate) felt quite comprehensive, if you were to stick to simple forms. But I found myself working at much higher levels and having to do a lot of independent (but not unpaid) research on other state taxes and international taxes.

Cons

The first year isn't very profitable. The pay scale is minimum wage, with the promise that at the end of the season, you'll earn a bonus depending on how many clients and product sales you had. For the first year tax associate, it is basically impossible to earn a bonus. The upper management changes frequently for the Midwest region, so chain of command can be a bit confusing. Also, good customer service frequently relies on the receptionists to adequately communicate that there's been a drop-off, or a call came in for a particular tax pro, and sometimes it fails because most of them don't have any tax knowledge at all.

Advice to Management

Train receptionists better, and that doesn't mean email things for the general manager to print out and leave by the front desk. Do more mystery shopping phone calls to see how workers behave on the phone.

6. #4 on Forbes best work-life balance.

Current Employee - District Operations Coordinator
    Current Employee - District Operations Coordinator

Pros

Team work is heavily promoted. Company follows 4DX, when teams utilize it correctly it keeps everyone aligned yet still allows individual contributors to set their own goals. Block stars is a great tool for recognizing performance and praising others is a big part of company culture. The company is heavily invested in its people.

Cons

When in need of support(HR, payroll, technical) you may get routed multiple times before finding resolution. Many support departments contain many sub departments which don't have great communication channels. A request may be passed off to the next department without that department acknowledging its in their hands now. Some processes are in need of streamlining. Most requests for support are handled through email which can take days to get an issue resolved. The associates in the tax office have very limited access in the system and are unable to carry out typical tasks you would find in most retail businesses.

Advice to Management

Support departments are frustrated with the field and the field is frustrated with the support departments. This is usually a signal of messy communication. The company as a whole is headed in a great direction. I'm glad I'm here and I look forward to many years in the future

Seasonal Employee

I have been working at H&R Block (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, ends on April 15th.

Cons

Alot of management turn over.

8. office politics

Current Contractor - Senior Tax Advisor V in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Contractor - Senior Tax Advisor V in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

seasonal, have the summer off!

Cons

leader acted like a policeman instead of manager, literal person and retailated against SOME

Advice to Management

GET RID OF PEOPLE WHO DONT DO THEIR JOB

9. Work at home position

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at H&R Block full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did enjoyed working at H&R Block, it is a friendly working space environment company

Cons

I don't have one at this time

10. Tax Pro/Office Manager

Current Employee - Tax Professional II in Searcy, AR
    Current Employee - Tax Professional II in Searcy, AR

I have been working at H&R Block full-time

Pros

You can decide to what extent you want to work and earn. Access to extensive tax education year round.

Cons

Can be long hours. Sometimes, people don't like what you have to tell them.

Advice to Management

If it's not broke, don't fix it

tax preparer

Current Employee - Tax Professional in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Tax Professional in Tampa, FL

Pros

The company really works around your schedule. The managers really do not have a say, you post your availability with in the schedule, and the managers work around it. Very flexible hours.

Cons

Some of the tax preparers are used to having the run of the office, dictating whether they will accept a certain client or not. Unless you have a strong front desk person, you may end up with little to do, even during the "peak times." There really is little to no advancement here. You either settle for being a tax preparer, with the potential for being an office manager some where down the line, or don't apply.

Advice to Management

Some of the repeat training for tax prepares that have been there for 20+ years, is boring on ridiculous. Scale down some of the product training, and focus on giving us real information for the 18 hours you force us to attend in the November-December time frame.

Showing 454 of 1,357 reviews