H&R Block Reviews

1,226 Employee Reviews

1. Excellent Tax Study Guides

Former Employee - Tax Advisor in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Tax Advisor in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Good starter position, can lead to a great seasonal position

Cons

Low earning income, unless you are one of the favorites. Walk in customers are given to the "select" few who are favorites, prior year clients also distributed based on who you know, not what you know. Poor management, have no idea how to plan an employee schedule, total lack of tax skill coaching, could not sell themselves out of a paper bag, total lack of ability to inspire improved job performance. Worse job of my 50 year working life.

Advice to Management

Train managers to manage

Tax Preparer

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Preparer in Plano, TX

I worked at H&R Block (More than a year)

Pros

At least in my Plano Texas Office, the other tax preparers were smart and very professional so it was a nice professional atmosphere to work in

Cons

When I worked there in 2008 or 2009 the tax preparers made less than minimum wage the first couple of years. Once you took into account the training that you had to pay for yourself.

Advice to Management

I don't know - it's not a great business model. Smart people with a lot of money use software to prepare their taxes or hire a CPA if they are very wealthy. The bulk of the H&R block customers are low income who want their refund fast and don't have the capability to do their own taxes... so I understand that the margins are small on each tax return done and so you can't pay much for people... but geeze it seems like the tax preparers could make more money working at chipolte!

3. Seasonal Office Clerk

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Monroe, NC

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Upbeat environment. People that really care about doing a good job.

Cons

This is only a seasonal position, and I wish that I could work for them year round.

5. Challenging work, low pay.

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Denver, CO

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping customers with their individual income tax returns is challenging and exciting!

Cons

The hourly pay is barely above the hourly minimum wage. Employees are not paid for the challenge and stress of the job.

Advice to Management

Pay your tax professionals what they deserve!

6. Tax Professional

I have been working at H&R Block part-time

Pros

The training and education you receive is second to none.

Cons

the pressure to sale additional products at the end of a tax return takes the fun out of providing a great experience for your client.

7. receptionist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy place to work at

Cons

Can get pretty nuestra

Tax Advisor

Current Employee - Tax Advisor/Office Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Tax Advisor/Office Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at H&R Block part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good, seasonal pay. Hours are flexible. Company offers an extensive amount of training and requires a minimal amount to be re-certified.

Cons

District and Regional Managers don't know what it is like to be in the trenches. They are primarily concerned about the bottom line and care less about the client experience.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the tax offices to see the challenges faced by a tax professional.

District manager

Pros

Great people, opportunities for growth

Cons

Hiring seasonal associates increases needs for constant recruiting and building your bench

H & R Block has good training, but doesn't pay what it should.

Former Employee - Ctec Tax Preparation Specialist in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Ctec Tax Preparation Specialist in Monrovia, CA

I worked at H&R Block part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have to say that I enjoyed working for H & R block because I thought their training was very good and I liked the people that I worked with. I also liked the job itself and working with people. I enjoy helping people and I am good with numbers. It is a better job for people that are already retired and want to still work some during tax season, then for someone that is younger and needs to work, because it is only Seasonal.

Cons

They don't pay for you for the training. They should and there was even a lawsuit against them because of that. They don't pay what they should pay, considering how much they charge per tax return. They charge at least $90 and upwards to $250 per tax return and they only pay their people like $10 an hour at least that is what they paid me in 2007. They also give you a commission, but it goes against the Salary. Meaning you know you will get a Salary, plus a little bit more with your commission, but it not enough to live on, plus I was not getting as much hours as I would have liked which did not help either. For what you need to know, they should pay alot better. .

Advice to Management

Pay your people more and show up to work yourself. Also give people more hours if they need it.

11. marketing coordniator

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Teaneck, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Teaneck, NJ

I worked at H&R Block (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, get to meet a lot of good people. Possible opportunity to switch into tax pro position

Cons

not real marketing. More of a sales position Since its a six month contract there are no benefits

Showing 1,226 of 1,347 reviews