H&R Block Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.6

H&R Block President & CEO William C. Cobb
William C. Cobb

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, work as little or as much as you wish (in 53 reviews)

• H&R Block offers an education program that you can not get anywhere else (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • DMs extremely long hours the 4 months during tax season and the 5 months leading to (in 61 reviews)

• This was my 2nd time returning to H R Block (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Office manager at H&R Block

Former Employee - Office Manager  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at H&R Block full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, location preference. Easy work to do everyday. Not much authority above you. Once in a while district manager visits and weekly meeting in his office. Sales driven.

Cons

Very very low salary. Business depreciating every month, boring job. All the tax professional under you are troublemakers because they also dont get enough salaries. No receptionist full time.

Overall it has been a nice experience

Current Employee - Office Manager II  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Office Manager II in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The experience of working with all types professionals meeting all kinds of people.

Cons

Dealing with upper management and their fairness across the board with their office leaders....

You need to focus on your management team to ensure they are happy this will make your business successful......Your DM's need to be evaluated at some level as to the way they treat their employees

Easy Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at H&R Block full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work to pay ratio was adequate. The call volume was high so it kept you bust during your shift. Lots of overtime opportunity .

Cons

Repetitive work is not my thing and I found that out while I worked in this position. Sitting for long hours and having to meet an exact time schedule.

If an employee has experience and skills for another position, it's in the company's best interest to move that employee to a position where they can better utilize their talents.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Success in spite of management.

Current Employee - Tax Professional  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Tax Professional in Tampa, FL

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedules and no micromanagement.

Cons

Poor communication regarding compensation plans - nothing specific is every spelled out.

Consistent marketing strategy would be nice.

Not nice company

I have been working at H&R Block part-time

Pros

Hire you fast when given and interview.

Cons

Fire you fast. Cannot train a person with a B.A degree or will hire you and tell you we don't have enough time to train you. Friend worked there for a couple of month hired in the field for what she went to college for and had the B.A degree. I got hired there a couple of years later with a technical degree. The do not understand
     accessibility and laws for diversity and handicapped.

H & R Block

I have been working at H&R Block

Pros

Flexible schedule. You can choose days and times you want to work

Cons

Pay is too low. Additional bonus potential was not explained.

Cliquish

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at H&R Block full-time

Pros

Working on a national brand. Also, there are some really good people in middle management roles, although they are hindered by the dysfunction of senior management.

Cons

Leadership in the digital software division is nonexistent. People play favorites and often those without needed skills get promoted because they are a pet of a long time employee.

Pay attention to what's really going on.

You Should Never Go Back!!!

Former Employee - Tax Associate  in  Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pottstown, PA

I worked at H&R Block part-time for less than a year

Pros

There really were no pros. For $20 a year you can get some good tax training. For me that was the only pro.

Cons

I paid $20 in Dec. and another 20 in January. That didn't make me happy. During preseason training I saw a person that the company was helping to overcome a physical injury to succeed so when I got injured the day before I was to start I thought they would work with me. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Though I told my office manager that I had fallen and was trying to fulfill my commitment to Block, the end of Jan. I found myself scheduled for repetitive 12 - 13 hour days sometimes without lunch scheduled. They said that was your availability. I countered that at the time I told them we could discuss their needs and we would adjust my hours accordingly. That didn't happen. When my health got worse my doctor what kind of hours I was working. I showed him my schedule for the next several weeks and he wrote me off work. It was April before I could came back to work but I was locked out of the scheduling portion of My Block. So I took that as a hint. Never did any one from Block try to contact me!
    They took out a few dollars from my pays for the 401 that I guess I was grandfathered in. I do not remember signing up again(I would have asked about fees). So, long story short I had less than 100 dollars taken out of my pay and they hit me with a $65 fee. No that have no family values. No body would take 2/3 of someones money if they had a inkling of pride.

Make sure people are aware of how you operate your offices. Just because someone says they are available from 8AM to 10PM doesn't mean you schedule them for those hours after you tell them they can't do anything but a basic return. If there are fees for your 401 be sure before you take one dollar from that person they are aware of them.

Ok

Current Employee - Tax Preparer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Preparer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at H&R Block part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, as long as you complete the courses you have the job.

Cons

Constant training, if you don't have your own clients you don't make extra money.

Very good training and update training and working with a team of talented people

Current Employee - Master Tax Advisor  in  Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Master Tax Advisor in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at H&R Block as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy the challenges set forth by the clientele and finding solutions. I enjoy working s a team to find solution to more complex situation. Employees come from former work backgrounds which is a plus in the tax office.

Cons

working around the outside duties that upper management think that we should include while trying our best to satisfy customer-outside marketing in the busy season instead of in the off season.

spend a week inside of an office in high voume itmes and learn not to impose outside training at that tim or outside marketing.

Worked for H&R Block? Contribute to the Community!