HARMAN

HARMAN Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros
  • Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing(in 6 reviews)

• Cost cutting is painful and counter-productive as everything has been outsourced(in 6 reviews)

interview software intern

Software Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood work profile, learning experience

ConsSalary is low as compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary is less as compared to other companies

Future growth of the Luxury division in question...

ProsProducts look good and have good sound quality.

ConsMoving all US based R&D, engineering and ops overseas. Abandoning US Retail channel and reducing overall quality for cost savings.

Rewarding but painful

Manager, Brand Services (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsA great tradition of high end audio system. Respected by audiophiles worldwide. Employees very dedicated and cohesive, overall.

ConsPoor marketing efforts. They rely on reputation and word of mouth to extend brands. BOSE and Beats out-market Harman with mailings, print ads, web ads and broadcast commercials.
    Senior management determined to outsource all functions to China and India, Many lay offs in the US and Europe. Senior management rewards themselves with large bonuses while their products list numerous defects and the supply chain dynamics deliver damaged packages. Employees nervous about their futures within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementBring jobs back to USA, especially engineering and manufacturing. Spend on marketing and operations so most products don't sit on shelves without recognition or visible box damage. Apply stricter quality controls in manufacturing to avoid releasing defective products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for everyone

Various Functions (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat engineering teams so incredible products.

ConsYou will find only one, at most 3 people at the leadership level in HQ that are competent. Most should not be at the executive level. Direct quote from someone on the executive team “People that have MBA are just show offs”. What!? And this quote is not “taken out of context”. Is says exactly what you think it says. If you don’t believe me when I say that skills are lacking at the top, just attending one of the open “investor” calls (very embarrassing for Harman).

The CEO dictates the culture of the company and unfortunately, that is not his strength. He is no doubt a person with strong financial skills, but he is far from being a mature leader. HR leadership at the top level, especially in the US is second rate, actually, let me correct myself, third rate, at best. Turnover rates are of course horrible! They try to hire the best (and from top companies) and guess what?? The best end up leaving (usually within the first year to a year and a half) due to a complete lack of professionalism and expertise at the VP level. People at the top, get promoted purely based on friendships. You better be having personal dinners with the CEO for you to be one of the “favorites”. Funny enough, the CEO is bold enough to mention this in one of his recent articles published in New York Times (way to go communications department). Last, but not least, if you are a woman, stay away! No matter how intelligent and accomplished you are, you will be just an object to look at, nothing more. Do your research, talk to people that worked there (you can always find them on LinkedIn).

The success of the company is built purely on the passion of the acoustics engineering teams (I am not an engineer but their contribution is what keeps the company going). What goes on at Harman is shameful and there is no-one to stop it. Now, are the products exciting? Yes. Can the job be challenging and interesting? Yes. But be aware, is you are someone from one of the best-in-class organizations and are used to mature leadership, you will not find that here. It just does not exist. This will not change unless the CEO is replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do have some incredible people working for you, let them help you create a 21st century culture in your organization. Your way or the highway is obviously not working. You have great products that people enjoy around the world, stop screwing it up.

Harman has figured out how to draw blood from a stone - everyone is overworked!

Director (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsFairly competitive pay
    Great sounding product
    Some people who have been in the industry for a very long time and new Harman in the good old days

ConsIT infrastructure is among the worst I've ever seen
    Complete lack of resources
    - Leads to a finger pointing, non-cooperative work environment
    - Incredibly high amount of office politics
    Too much outsourcing to India and China

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in IT infrastructure and top IT talent
    Start investing for the future (3-5 years out), and not just for the coming fiscal quarter-end. Being so cheap is hurting Harman's long term prospects for market dominance

Rude management personnel, Poor installation jobs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Highland, MI

ProsTo get paid for your hard work.

ConsRude managers, lack of professional presence and conduct. Careless workers/peers, perform jobs with the least carefulness and professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kind to others.

Solid Company To Work For

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe people were great and that really made a difference. Solid commitment to the brands from top management down. Learned a great deal when given the opportunity to work with VP's. Human Resources was always very friendly and open even when I decided to pursue another career opportunity. All vacation was paid out and HR even let me keep my phone for a few extra days until I started my new job.

ConsNothing specific...there are problems and issues at every company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer or give the opportunity of harder and challenging projects/accounts to people looking/wanting to work more. Also, I always learned a great deal when I had the opportunity to be a part of senior management meetings where VP's could offer advice, knowledge or expertise. You could learn a lot just by watching and listening. Maybe include people who want to learn more, gain more experience, etc. in meeting, situations, or just some one on one time with the people who are on a succession plan.

One of the most depressing places you can imagine spending your waking life

Engineer (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

Pros- Sometimes interesting projects
    - being in Southern California obviously has its perks
    - working with talented people in the audio industry

Cons- Incredibly low employee moral
    - Low pay compared to other companies
    - hideously drab and uninspiring office building
    - lack of management competence
    - zero room for growth
    - overall sense of worthlessness instilled in employees from management

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees; tame down the cost cutting measures; understand what our core competencies are and leverage them; decorate the office a little bit

Be prepared to only see your family on Holidays

Analysis and Repair Electronic Technician (Former Employee) Franklin, KY

ProsThe company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment. The site has a decent cafeteria.

ConsUnfortunately they believe in ten hours a day and seven days a week. I lasted almost six months and then realized I wanted to be a person not just a worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementA products quality will always go down when the people working are not given sufficient time off. Less mandatory overtime!

A company now run by bean counters who forgot Harman's core competency: great sound!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsHarman has a wonderful history, some great brands, and has developed some great audio products in the past. The opportunity to produce great sounding audio products that people hear everywhere in the world is unmatched by working any other audio company in the world.

ConsIn recent years, corporate management in Stanford has become large and bloated, made up of mostly people from outside the audio industry who understand little about audio technology and the audio business. To make the non-corporate underlings more accountable they've put into place hierarchical layers of bureaucracy in all processes. As a result, decisions take forever to be made, often without valuable input from the people who know best. The slow decision process and compensation scheme means product managers are often unwilling to take risk: not exactly an environment to nurture innovation and new technology. Compensation is based on meeting unflexible targets set 1 year in advance (not long-term goals), so managers make decisions to maximize their bonuses, not always what's best for the medium-long-term health of the company and the consumer. A good example is arbitrarily moving factories/engineering to Mexico/China without adequate preparation. In the short-term, it saves money on paper, but at what cost? Time will tell whether the leaders realize what Harman's core competency is (good sounding products) and get behind it, before they destroy it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a medium-long term strategy around Harman's core competency (best-in-class audio and acoustics) and put into place processes, infrastructure and talented people who ensure that Harman continues to make best-in-class products.

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!