HARMAN
www.harman.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

HARMAN Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
HARMAN – QuerĂ©taro – “Reception”

HARMAN Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It started outsourcing to "low cost countries" later then other companies but it caught up really fast"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

See Sr. Management feedback.

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Northridge, CA

ProsYou like living in the San Fernando Valley (but who does?). Decent discounts on employee purchase of company product.

ConsShort sighted management. Management is all from outside Harman. Little or no inside promotion and recognition. Careers are okay if you are content doing the same job forever (ridiculous!)

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce free cash flow is restored to a reasonable level, try 8 plus percent of gross, consider paying a high dividend...maybe four percent to attract income investors. The baby boomer generation will soon reward the companies that can pay a reliable and consistent dividend.

Fun products and coworkers; limited potential

Sandy, UT

ProsGood benefits, profit sharing, fun products to work on, fun and creative people, deep discounts on musical and home/car entertainment equipment.

ConsHigh turnover, even in sr. management. The best talent comes then leaves through the revolving door. President is very demanding and has no long term vision for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place has far more potential than we are reaching. Make it an environment where people want to stay and where talented individuals and middle managers can excel. You have to give people creative freedom or they will become demoralized and perform poorly. Take responsibility for the culture you have created, and stop blaming employees for a systemic leadership problem. Only then will we acheive our potential. Success is about people, not products.

Good Company, Great guys, Dedicated Employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWork Life balance, Good Salary

ConsTransparency is missing. Higher management have no communication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be transparent enough and open for any type for suggestions. Senior management needs to have more involvement with the employess

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No work life balance, NO Resource planning, over commitment, incompetent leads and managers, leads with bossy attitude

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsGood salary package only during joining
    After that hike will be given only if you are close to manager and say yes to everything he says [ even if he says put that glass over there]

Cons1. No Career path defined, only if you bring this issue they will think of that.
    2. some people [although don't know anything] think tha they know every aspect of automotive domain in this world.
    3. Leads and managers have very bossy attitude and would blame you for everything.
    4. Company does not provide tools, and resources to everyone..you need to beg, borrow and steal..

I really do not have words to describe the work-culture in Harman, people specially managers do not have any professional ethics...only thing they know is "Make it Happen"...how and in what way they don''t know...

Advice to Senior Management1. Learn to be equal to everyone.
    2. Provide opportunity to everyone so that they can prove their potential.
    3. Have some transparency.

Good brand name-not so good for work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsGood starting package for lateral joinees.

ConsIncompetent managers, technical leads. Ruthless CEO and engineering head. People in higher level are more busy in hiring people from their states or the people talking the same language. There are more managers than engineers. No proper planning in project deliveries. People who are personally close to country engineering head get all the benefits, higher positions in the company. Most of the current projects running in India are failures. Most of the lateral joiners are from service companies and play dirty, cheap politics. Most of the work is integration of already existing solutions to some other project. No work life balance. Your work won't get recognized unless you are a boaster and you are good with your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some capable managers, need good technical architects. Don't hire freshers from IITs and NITs by paying huge packages since they won't stay longer than a year. Give chance to students from local colleges.

Test

ProsTechnical work. In car Infotainement projects

ConsWork life balance, Technical trainnigs rea missing

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance. Should consider all the individuals while taking decisions

Good company to work in

Senior Software Engineer I (Current Employee)

Pros*Great place to learn
    *Good salary
    *Good people to work with

Cons*Middle level management is missing

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more employees

"Good Place ONLY If you are a 'Yes' Man or a dictator..Night Mare if you have good atitude, skills or good MNC exp."

Senior Software Engineer I (Former Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsCompensation, work life balance, Great Product Line, Lagacy.

ConsEverything expect above....Middle level management & most of the directors are dictators. They have revengeful atitude, If you say "no" or express a diff. opinion they well screw you to the end of earth. Highly regessive mindset. No Value for people who want to make a change, infact they are targetted so that they have to move out. No Vision. No policies. No defined career path. Degrading US & German Couterparts. If you resign they will not even talk & ask why are u leaving even after 3 yrs of service. 12 Yrs exp. people are directors...they don't even know 'M' of management...highly eccentric.....very arrogant...There basic are ZERO.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. The Real attrition in 2012 time frame was 33%....Focus on people's career also rather then your owns.

great company

ProsThere is Nice work envo,also there is gud work exp, also there are alot of intelligent people

Consthere is Long work schedule,

Excellent people. Excellent support to improve technically.

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bangalore (India)

ProsGood job benefits for employees. I was provided with on the Job training. I was also provided a good package to start with. And the manager is always open for questions and is very helpful. And good coffee.

ConsNone. I felt the everything was well tken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for HARMAN? Contribute to the Community!

HARMAN Videos

HARMAN – Why Work for Us?

​​ARE YOU READY TO GIVE A LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE?​​ ​ HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of world-renowned brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson®, Lexicon®, and Infinity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HARMAN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HARMAN CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by HARMAN employees.