HARMAN International
www.harman.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

HARMAN International Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
HARMAN International – QuerĂ©taro – “Reception”

HARMAN International Chairman, President and CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal

Dinesh C. Paliwal

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedules creating a good work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "The company offers good hourly wages; good benefits package; and a clean work environment"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It started outsourcing to "low cost countries" later then other companies but it caught up really fast"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Good Company to work for

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHarman is a very flexible company with many opportunities. I have seen significant growth here, and there is more to come with the many products we are developing with our customers.

ConsNo cons to share at this time

Working in Sound Design

I worked at HARMAN International

ProsRelaxed work environment all year round

ConsNone none none none none

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Tshirts!

The company's bosses will probably make the company prosperous, but they'll sacrifice employees to do it.

I worked at HARMAN International

ProsHarman has a legacy of outstanding audio from famous brands such as JBL and Harman Kardon. It's especially strong in automotive and concert sound.

ConsCost-cutting may have weakened the quality of the company's products and has definitely led to layoffs and outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have outstanding people working for you. Let them do their best work, and send the work to outside contractors less.

Avoid at all costs - miserable people led by blind CEO

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can get discounted electronics (refurbished sometimes).

ConsCost cutting of US work force for India. They have let go of all the good engineers and scramble when projects the engineers were working on suddenly go into crisis. Poor executive management that needs pinches pennies on individual contributors but fly half way around the world for a "meeting" . Poor company wide organization. Executives lead through fear - if you don't play ball or drink the Kool-aid then don't bother coming to work. CEO makes blind decisions and has blatantly lied in the press twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet CEO go asap and clean house.

Farcical

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at HARMAN International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are still some of the finest technical folks in the world on the payroll. If you're a VP at any other corporation, it'll be easy to get a job here. Just say, "Oh, your problems aren't so hard. All you need to do is...[Insert imaginary silver bullet here]". They'll pay you a lot of money. It's easy to vacation in your office.

ConsNo one in top management knows anything about the audio industry. Company is an ATM and entertainment provider for the CEO and his co-conspirators. Revenue generation by sales at any price and margin management by cost cutting isn't a recipe for success. Age discrimination rampant. Relentless focus on emerging market growth is a disaster waiting to happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake short positions against your own company, if you haven't already.

too much management change

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, good medical, and decent severance package

ConsManagement changes direction to frequently

Brand reputations being ruined by cost-cutting and cheap labor. Engineers are managers, not engineers.

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at HARMAN International for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits. Work hours reasonable.

ConsWorked as an engineer at Harman for over 12 years. Went from designing great products in the 90's and early 2000's to overseeing the design of crap product by employees in low-wage countries. The current management ('08 to present) is doing everything & everything to show short term success & profitability at the expense of competency and quality. It won't be long until the formerly prestigious brands mean nothing to people (frankly the cats already out of the bag as the general consuming public is very informed these days). If you want to work as an underpaid engineer only to manage incompetent engineers overseas this jobs for you.

Workplace attitude was terrible. Mostly because they laid off hundreds of employees and left a skeleton crew and acted like nothing was happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing is clueless on technology. Engineers should have input on the 5-year product roadmap. As engineers, no matter how much we tried to innovate, no one listened. Research was fruitless. Products were only spec'd in response to product innovation from competitors.

It's a big company, and profitability rules all, but they need to look long-term. But they're not. The company is too big. It's all about the next 'quarter', and trying to convince investors that they're profitable. Senior management will pay themselves hefty salaries and then move on to their next venture... leaving Harman in the dust.

Good place . Bad boss.

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products and technology. Dedicated people. Global operations - lots of moves; many opportunities. Company focused on great customer experience. For audiophiles the place to be!

ConsMoved production out of US to china and mexico. Ruthless management that cared little about employees. Lot of pressure to meet the numbers. People getting burned out - if you are in company polictis and played well you did good..

"Where Sound Matters," But People Don't

I have been working at HARMAN International

ProsMultinational company with a good reputation for quality products

ConsThe focus seems to have shifted from quality to cost saving, as the company had moved more and more of the operations to China, India and Eastern European countries like Hungary. The company does not care at all about its employees, having laird off longtime workers who helped to develop and sell its technologies and products. Executives tend to favor bullies, as many Harman managers and execs manage with bullying, abrasive tactics. Management is focused on getting the most done for the least amount of money, sending jobs overseas, which has affected the quality of the products. For salaried employees, there is no work/life balance, as you are expected to do whatever is necessary to meet deadlines that often change at the last minute based on Corporate's whim. Office politics run wild, and there is no room for advancement for many, especially women and certain minorities. This is not a good place for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees who make your products possible. It used to matter that your products were made in the U.S. It still should. Overhaul your HR department, and bring in some people who can show some concern for people. Take some sensitivity courses or offer training so all staff know how to deal with each other as men/women and different ethnicities. Stop encouraging bullying and rewarding overly aggressive management styles.

Environment is filled with negativity-AVOID THIS PLACE

Engineering (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at HARMAN International full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay, decent benefits, good work experience

ConsPoor management, constant arguing amongst managers and employees, managers will give you good reviews and then tell the opposite to management, VP of this location is the most unprofessional person I have ever met. Constant foul language and hand slamming on tables during meetings

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit letting managers take 3 hour lunches while they only put in 6 hour days, Make managers perform and complete goals just like employees, allow employees to suggest ideas to improve the company

Worked for HARMAN International? Contribute to the Community!

HARMAN International Videos

HARMAN International – Why Work for Us?

​​ARE YOU READY TO GIVE A LEGENDARY PERFORMANCE?​​ ​ HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of world-renowned brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson®, Lexicon®, and Infinity… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HARMAN International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HARMAN International CEO Dinesh C. Paliwal. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by HARMAN International employees.