HBO Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
200 reviews filtered by
3.9
Richard Plepler

Pros
  • Development opportunities abound if you seek them and the work/life balance is amazing (in 27 reviews)

• Great benefits, salary plus benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not too many opportunities for advancement (because people tend to stay and be HBO-lifers) (in 9 reviews)

• There is not a lot of movement so upward mobility can be slow (in 9 reviews)

1. CREATIVE ENERGY CONTINUES TO FLOW

I worked at HBO

Pros

I found good division crossover during my time at HBO. Unrelated groups were truly vested in making sure your project was the best it could be...Most of the co-workers I dealt with were positive and upbeat. Solid benefits

Cons

Advancement is somewhat limited. Few people leave HBO once they settle in. Last few years have become a bit more bottom line corporate. Good, legacy folks have left

Coffee was marginal. Sauna or steam room would be nice.

2. Intern

I worked at HBO

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, and just wants to help you. You get to leave work early on fridays, and every other week there are free bagels. The program itself is amazing. They give you a project where you write a scene from one of their shows, and they have an exec from every department talk you twice a week.

Cons

Sometimes you may have to stay late.

3. Couldn't have asked for a better internship.

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at HBO as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

HBO's internship program is very structured and involves lots of great networking/learning opportunities, including speaker series with execs and a summer-long project that all the interns work on together. There were 50 interns in NYC, all spread out throughout many departments. My manager was incredibly clear, approachable, and helpful, and gave me plenty of meaningful work to do. From what I've heard, most other interns had similar experiences. HBO also pays interns quite well by entertainment industry standards - $15/hr.

Cons

Virtually none. I wasn't a huge fan of "Project HBO," the intern project we all worked on (didn't always seem like a meaningful use of time), but everything else was great.

Keep it up with the great intern program!

5. Great company to work for but difficult to make even lateral departmental changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HBO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits package including generous vacation and sick time, matching 401k, good medical, dental and life insurance and yearly bonus depending on title

Cons

My department at least was very "management heavy". I worked within a very small team that still included 2 managers. In my opinion, however, the managers did little actual managing. The title appeared to given only as a way to upgrade the position to another pay level with seemingly no consideration given to if the people actually had the chops to manage anyone. The several times yearly PPR Review Process was a joke. It was simply busy-work and never resulted in any actual change or challenge or promotion to the people that actually deserved it. All in all, although the company is very forward thinking in many areas, it is still mired in a fairly rigid corporate culture with little imagination in terms of managerial style.

Less managers in charge of only 2 or 3 people. Promote more women in general, especially to the leadership positions. Still a lot of white males in charge with women stuck in the assistant and associate roles. Encourage managers to act more as mentors to those in their teams rather than just the person who does someone's PPR.

6. Excellent work/life balance, and the staff takes pride in creating a great product.

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at HBO

Pros

Benefits are fantastic, the culture is respectful and elegant, success is measured by awards and industry respect.

Cons

The company tends to move very slowly with key decisions made by a select internal group.

Use your new digital distribution opportunities to experiment with new programming.

7. Working at HBO has been one of the best things that has happened in my career so far.

Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at HBO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have had the opportunities that no other company offers to entry level positions. I have grown real quickly.

Cons

The promotion opportunities rarely happen because to be promoted to a position higher either there has to be an opening or you have to apply for it if there is an opening.

I think it's important for management to tell their employer when it's ready for them to move on. In other words, when the employee is ready for the next step and help them achieve that.

8. internship

I worked at HBO

Pros

great corporate environment, many things to learn

Cons

hard to make connections sometimes in such a big company

full of very nice people

9. Best in Class

I have been working at HBO

Pros

Creativity, Content, Smart, Collaborative, Good work-life balance

Cons

I focus on the positive each day

10. Great Entertainment Cable Company

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at HBO

Pros

Great company with good people, benefits, and salary.

Cons

Hard to get in lol.

Great eye-opening experience, yet no room for growth.

I have been working at HBO

Pros

Great people to work with, excellent programming, was able to learn alot.

Cons

Very political, competitive, and stagnant.

Get better management that encourage and lead, instead of sitting back and being complacent.