HC-One Reviews

1. Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Home Manager
    Current Employee - Home Manager

I have been working at HC-One

Pros

I love working for HC-One - no one day is the same and that makes for an interesting job! I feel that there have been lots of opportunities for me to develop within my role and feel well supported by my senior managers. HC-One is a very dynamic company that responds well to resident and staff feedback. They actively want to improve the lives of residents

Cons

Our brand isn't well known

2. Really?

Current Employee - Nurse in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Nurse in Lincoln, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked as a nurse for a number of private companies and the nhs over the years and can honestly say none of them come near this company, staff are respected, their opinion is sought from kitchen staff, cleaners, care staff up through to residents etc, they are made to feel empowered and they matter, I've not been sacked and can only assume others on this site have, look to yourself not the company for the blame folks

Cons

Time, we are all always busy and we would love to have more time to spend with the people who matter, our residents

Keep asking our opinion, we are at the 'coal face' we can tell you what you are doing right and where you are not quite getting it, and a pay rise would be lovely but I'm a realist and know that isn't going to happen until our government realises they cannot manage without care staff and nurses

Dec 23, 2014Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of working at HC-One. I’m so pleased to hear that you feel respected and empowered.

Thank you as well for your hard work and for your focus
    ... More

One of the best jobs of my career

I have been working at HC-One

Pros

Great work life balance, a good benefits package and great ideals. Co-workers that care about their jobs and the Residents.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment where change is inevitable and has to be dealt with on a daily basis.

Dec 23, 2014Head of People

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience of working for HC-One. I’m delighted that you are a part of a caring team and that you feel well supported. It requires a ... More

Big Mistake!

Former Employee - Administrator
    Former Employee - Administrator

I worked at HC-One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Near to home. Partial uniform supplied.

Cons

I agree with the other comments. Manager had no people skills whatsoever and no Customer Service experience. I left because no one could teach me how to do the wages correctly. It seems they are happy to muddle through with staff complaining every week that their money is incorrect. Since I left mine has also been incorrect for the last 3 months. Head office attitude has been dreadful. They have offered no apology, insist on making me wait forever, and keep deducting more and more from what I am owed. The whole experience has left me extremely stressed. Wages were also very poor compared to the work load. I was expected to undertake the role of Administrator, HR, Deputy Manager, PA and Receptionist all by myself! Despite probation period being 6 months I was told that I would be expected to cover the manager`s holiday period and run the home after just 3 weeks! Just to let you know I had never done HR, Wages or Deputy Home Manager before, which they knew at interview, but unbeknown to me at the time they had already had 3 others walk out just after starting in the same role. ( I wonder why?) My advice - unless you`re a glutton for punishment, or don`t take pride in your work then stay well clear. It`s a shambles!

Better management training is urgently needed. Managers need to learn to related to both Customers and staff in a respectful manner.

Dec 23, 2014Head of People

I’m very sorry you were unhappy with your experience and I thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We know staff are integral to providing high quality care. That’s why we
    ... More

Really? How bad can an employer be???

Current Employee - Charge Nurse
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse

I have been working at HC-One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing... I mean literally nothing! I have to write twenty words to submit this review... So here goes.. Awful, terrible, beyond description, bad !!!

Cons

If you could imagine how bad things could be in Victorian times (please sir, I'd like some more... MORE???) I honestly couldn't imagine that management could be this bad or do indefensibly arrogant. If the arrogance was based on ability that would be something... But the managers and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE that I encountered seemed to be totally incompetent! No people skills or ability to organise or plan! I was and am totally mystified how this company stays in business. Do I sound bitter? Yes, probably... Justified? Completely! These people and the entire company structure are a joke! I noted that one of the previous reviews said 'unemployment is a better option' I understand this completely... I would NEVER recommend this complete joke as an employer to ANYONE! I simply find it hard to understand that they do not feature regularly on TV on how bad things can be in a British workplace. If you are unlucky enough to be offered a position with this useless bunch of idiots... Think twice... Keep looking... And save yourself a LOT OF STRESS... The only good thing I could possibly say about this organisation is that you will really appreciate your next employer.

Please just go away.. You have NO IDEA how to run a business or treat people. You are totally and completely beyond redemption and the sooner you disappear the better the care industry will be!

Dec 23, 2014Head of People

I’m truly sorry to hear about your frustrations with the company. We know that nurses provide an incredibly important service to Residents and we simply could not support Residents to a high standard ... More

Horrible, terrible and awful

Former Employee - Senior Care Assistant
    Former Employee - Senior Care Assistant

I worked at HC-One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is not one thing I can think of to say that is positive.... This company is a joke

Cons

I read one on the feedback reviews on this site ... And congratulations to the manager or HR person for having such a good sense of humour.... You simply can never, ever had something positive to say if you have worked as a nurse, carer, kitchen worker or domestic staff. Fast changing environment? Yes! Can the incompetent management adapt? No! Can they organise? No! Can they plan? No! Can they communicate in a rational manner? Absolutely not!!! They believe to motivate staff the best method is to threaten disaplinary action...What's the reward? Pay just above minimum wage, very,very long hours and no positive feedback EVER! In the home I worked in the only long service staff were the truly unemployable who just would not get a job anywhere else.
    The managers were equally unskilled and to be fair not one of them should ever have been considered for a management role. They certainly wouldn't be with any decent forward thinking or progressional organisation. If you are reading this and are thinking 'oh this reviewer had a bad experience and was got rid of'. No, I left because i guenuinly hated the company, it's whole demeanour the way they treat staff and the total and complete incompetence of their managers. I know work for a company that truly values their employees, has professional and well trained managers and offers nearly 3x times the hourly rate... The difference? People do not leave, everyone looks forward to going to work and everyone is happy to give 100% to the company!

Please just leave, let some professional managers come in a run the business because you are hopeless!!

Dec 23, 2014Head of People

I’m really sorry that you didn’t have a positive experience and I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

We know how important it is to listen to all feedback, both positive and

THE PITS!

Current Employee - Underpaid Care Worker in Bolton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Underpaid Care Worker in Bolton, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RESIDENTS, STAFF AND NURSES!

Cons

If you want to become a manager and have no people/social skills, this is the company for you.
    In all my working years, I have never, and I stress, never, worked for a company like it! Chai Patel CBE? I should be awarded a CBE myself for just signing their contract!

Advice to management? Yes, CLOSE DOWN!

Nov 27, 2014Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I’m really sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the management and leadership at your home.

HC-One is working very hard to make every home a
    ... More

Only apply if you like working long long hours no time off and not even a thankyou

Current Employee - Care Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Care Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at HC-One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

£6.36 a hour
    free uniform consists of a blazer only.
    Good carers and nurses

Cons

You work 12 hour long and short staffed shifts.I have worked 16 hours Staughton on a number of occasions there's also people who work 24 hours.
    Admin change your shifts when ever they feel like it and your expected to be free and get child care at the drop of a hat.
    Your touchstone training has to be done asap because if u fall behind and are bank staff they can take your hours off you. Training also has to be done on your own time.
    You will never get a thankyou for anything you do. .The management are bullies who know nothing about doing a 12 hr shift of caring with broken equipment no pads a pack of wipes between 16 residentsno soft diet options half a loaf of bread between 40 residents (2 floors). If you have children and have a meeting or taining your expected to bring them even with all the bugs and infections all the residents have. The management are BULLIES and have no problem threatening you with violence. If your ever heard being a bit short with any residents even the ones that shout and swear at you. Then expect you to jump to their tune there and then,even though you have 4 other residents buzzing. If you don't jump to there tune asap. They report you. You will never have any rights.

Make sure kitchen staff leave bread ham yogurts fruit for the night staff to make residents supper not everyone wants jam sandwiches EVERY NIGHT. Make sure you have the things we need to do our job like wipes and pads and more staff especially at night. Make sure management have good people skills

Nov 27, 2014Head of People

Thank you for your post. Your feedback is really important and I’m truly sorry to hear your concerns.

We all know how important the hard work of dedicated staff members at our homes is – you

Soul destroying

I have been working at HC-One

Pros

Meeting alot of kind genuine people, the chance to make a good differance in people life.

Cons

I could literally be here all day, Management have absolutely no respect for staff, administration is a joke, although there are many bugs that we are susceptible to in our line of work there are many times staff are scared to phone in sick because of fear of being dubbed a 'let down' or gaining Bradford points. E-learning another ridiculous time consuming waste of money, I have witnessed them taking members of staff off busy units leaving them short so they can spend time on E-learning. But yet hc1 claim to have residents interest at heart? Joke! I can not tell you how many members of staff I have seen come and go because of being overworked and stressed out with the continuous demands and expectations or fear of a 'supervision form'. They don't give a damn if your face does not fit, they are unprofessional, the whole company are just money driven. I feel sorry for the family who are taken in by the illusion because they have no idea what goes on!

Stop being a**e holes

Nov 27, 2014Head of People

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience but I do very much appreciate you making the effort to let us know how you feel. Our caring, dedicated colleagues at HC-One’s homes are the most ... More

The first rule of HC One: You are worthless and replaceable

I have been working at HC-One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always plenty of overtime available (due to constant staff turnover)

Cons

Pay barely above minimum wage, long shifts, compulsory overtime, shifts changed with as little as 24 hours notice, aggressive interrogation if you dare to be too ill to work, incompetent management who shift blame onto their subordinates, more red tape than you would ever believe possible (there is literally a form for everything - one for replacing jugs of water / juice, one for cleaning something, and for the lucky senior care staff, a form to confirm all the other forms have been signed!) resulting in more time spent pen pushing than actually caring for the residents, constantly short staffed due to high turnover of staff (the endless cycle of doom), formal investigation / disciplinary action taken for the most minor of oversights (e.g. forgetting to sign one of the aforementioned forms), no performance related bonuses (only a 'Kindness in Care' award for great performance, which means having your photo displayed in a nice little frame for a while), condescending and sarcastic management style that involves berating you in front of your colleagues and making you feel like you're at school again...

I could go on forever, but if you're still insane enough to consider working for HC One after reading all of the above, the best of luck to you and don't forget to hand in your uniform when you inevitably leave.

Address the work-life balance. Give your managers training in people skills, or better yet, replace them with people that actually know how to do the job and don't just shift the blame downwards until it sticks somewhere. Actually bother to investigate why staff turnover is so high. Pay more than a poverty wage.

Nov 27, 2014Head of People

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and I am really sorry to learn that you are not enjoying your experience working with us.

We are determined to provide