HCA

HCA Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

HCA President and CEO R. Milton Johnson

R. Milton Johnson

Pros:
  • "Is getting very tech savvy and work life balance outlooks is good"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Ethical company, good benefits, fair pay"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management constantly micromanage and inconsistent with policies and procedures"
    in 10 reviews
  • "No work-life balance; medical insurance is not good"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience but poor mgmt

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HCA

ProsGreat overall company, holiday events for the staff are a big plus

ConsSome are promoted to management without one day of mgmt experience or mandatory mgmt classes which become quickly apparent in their failure to lead and manage which has caused quite a few people to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that all managers take outside mgmt courses that teach effective mgmt and leadership qualities

Ok

Healthcare Provider (Current Employee)

I have been working at HCA full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of resources, salary is above average

ConsVery business minded, not much room for advancement

Very educational, learned so much more about all aspects of hospital environment.

Physician Sales (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX

I worked at HCA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI was working with a facility that provided quality healthcare and leading edge technology.
I was able to work with some incredible physicians and able to help them learn the market and grow their practice.

ConsNo real downsides just took awhile at our local hospital to get equipment and new technology. There was a long process and tight budget due to current economic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership was fantastic and supportive of our sales positions and what we were trying to accomplish. I love the upper management and had no issues.

Great Company with many opportunities

I have been working at HCA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHCA is a large company that is continuing to grow. Also, HCA's scale in healthcare is unmatched. They offer a competitive salary, a wide range of benefits, and opportunities to grow professionally.

ConsUpper management are stuck in their ways

Strong Company and Healthcare Leader

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Franklin, TN

I have been working at HCA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFinancially strong company with volunteer opportunities.

ConsDifficult to implement change quickly due to company size.

Good job

I have been working at HCA

ProsVery Flexible with working schedule

ConsBig company issues, communication is tough.

Loved the co workers..... management needs to get out on the floor and see the reality of the job

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
Pasadena, TX

I worked at HCA full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat co workers, client and families. Most of the staff are dedicated , hard working professionals. often sacrificing breaks and meals to get the job done

Conshours, unreasonable workload. don't always have needed supplies, often had to work thru lunch and breaks. was never able to leave work on time

Advice to Senior Managementstep out of management and work the floors for a month --- be the one to put on scrubs and take care of 7-8 patients.... doing total care: meds, assessments, admissions, discharges, wound care, monitoring respiratory status, monitoring for falls - which opens up another whole 24 hour monitor protocol.... .....Then make productive changes. i think by doing that single move will make more of an impact than any study, meetings, or conferences. Employees don''t feel that that their voice is heard.

Job Security in a Great Industry

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at HCA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are employees who have worked here for 30 years. Firings and layoffs are rare. If you show up, treat people with respect, own your responsibility, and are not an idiot you can enjoy a long career. They promote from within and value internal endorsements. The company truly cares about providing quality healthcare to individuals and is committed to constantly improving process and patient experience. The Caring for the Community campaign is a testament in itself to the company's sincere and foundational commitment to people in the local community. Work-Life balance is encouraged and most managers are quite flexible about time off requests or working from home until it is abused. The company has a culturally diverse workforce and is gender-neutral in management and above positions.

ConsAbundance of governance, standards, paranoia, and red tape lingering from the late 90's Medicare fraud investigations. Over-communication within departments, and poor coordination, communication, and alignment across business lines. Overly-complex performance review and goal-setting process leading to lack of personal connection to company direction. Burdensome project governance stuck in Waterfall-only mentality, reactionary leadership, and vacillating organizational goals. A generally guarded and calculated culture makes transparent and candid communication difficult. Agile process is virtually impossible due to resource management that allocates resources across multiple projects at once. Innovation is spoken of highly but oppressed by the culture of governance, security, and territorial departments resistant to joint ownership. The company overly ties itself to external vendors, outsourcing, and contract workers rather than trusting its own home-grown talent (which is substantial). Raises, bonuses, and promotions are limited if you are not a director or above.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously re-examine the culture of governance and security to make sure you are not stifling innovation or efficiency. Improve communication at the executive levels across business lines. Rethink and simplify performance review process, goal setting, and tools. Give meaningful incentives (bonuses, raises, rewards) and career opportunities (promotions, increased influence and authority) to respected workers. Stop committing to more work for your people than you know is realistic so your talent can be used more efficiently rather than spread across multiple efforts at once. Trust your people like you want them to trust you. The turnover you see is because good people get burnt out, see little incentive for doing a good job, and go somewhere else.

Loved Working for HCA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at HCA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTreated very well, competitive pay, great benefits. It was like a big family from the top to the bottom. HCA takes care of their employees and even has an internal program to help employees with financial hardships.

ConsI was laid-off after acquiring a new facility, I would have appreciated being moved to a different location or position; although I did receive a severance package, they did not throw me to the wolves.

Friendly atmosphere

Technical Analyst (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at HCA as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood advancement, management is flexible with scheduling days off, lots of teamwork offered

ConsCompensation is less than average for the state.

Worked for HCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HCA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HCA CEO R. Milton Johnson. All 238 reviews posted anonymously by HCA employees.