HCA International

2.8

HCA International President and CEO Michael T. Neeb
Michael T. Neeb
1 Rating

I have good experience overall with HCA.

Current Employee - Picu Staff Nurse  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Picu Staff Nurse in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HCA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good career opportunity with progress toward senior positions. Supported well in my learning needs, I completed PICU course in my 2nd year of employment.

Cons

There is not enough core staff working on the unit , operates with great amount of bank and agency nurse.

Choose your employer carefully!

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HCA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good quality of care for patients and heavy investment in new medical services and treatments.

Cons

One of the worst Sick-Pay-Schemes I've ever seen and any discretionary benefit (e.g. maternity) is at the statutory minimum. Not enough support for employees. People are stuck in their job position and don´t get any opportunity for further development. Senior Management and Managers completely unqualified, not supportive and disorganised.

London Bridge Hospital is a very dynamic environment with a great leader as CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at HCA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Look to quality first. Great physicial working environment. Great and highly skilled people

Cons

HCA finance dept often quite remote and do not understand process

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do NOT Work Here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HCA International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm trying to be impartial but am really struggling to find a decent pro for the organisation.

Relative stability throughout recent economic troubles.

Heavy investment in new medical services

Cons

Substantial problems with how the Legal & HR function is managed and who it is managed by - very damaging to the business; known about but ignored.

Pension scheme is one of the weakest on the London market. Benefits are so so.

As is mentioned in another review, the pay is terrible and there is no market matching process meaning that irrespective of what you should be paid, you will not receive this.

I again second the comments in another review about turnover in the HR function. HR here may as well be called the 'disciplinary' department. This organisation seem to view HR as a means to inflict suffering and misery on their workforce hence the fact that no HR staff stay for longer than absolutely necessary and are usually young and inexperienced for the roles and therefore don't realise how bad what they're being asked to do is.

There are company policies that state you can be sacked after 10 days continuous sickness (so you cannot be sick when working for a healthcare organisation) and any discretionary benefit (e.g. maternity) is at the statutory minimum.

Staff training and development generally constitutes a pat on the back.

The company are very profitable yet share nothing with their employees. Salaries are weak, benefits are primarily employee paid, company policies are to give as little as possible to employees.

I'd have to assume that the actual patient care side of the business is very good; shame that staff aren't treated in anywhere near the same way!

Sort out your HR function so that it actually operates in a way that's geared towards employee satisfaction and retention rather than a disciplinary / sacking machine. The imapct of this poorly run fuction is affecting all other areas of your business.

Oh, and sort out the legal & hr director - all I hear are horror stories about how this individual treats the staff in their department.

I had the best experience so far with the Procurement team at the London Head office.

Former Employee - Procurement Administrator  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Procurement Administrator in London, England (UK)

I worked at HCA International part-time for less than a year

Pros

The exposure to the nature of work that the procurement department did was incredible.

Cons

Disappointed that they did not offer work placement or internships...

Consider investing in students that may bring a positive outlook of the organisation and allow them to begin building their careers with such a reputable company.

Think how much more profit you could make if you paid for better staff who made fewer less costly mistakes.

Current Employee - Middle Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at HCA International

Pros

HCA is the dominant private healthcare provider in London. They make huge profits, but also reinvest heavily to ensure their hospitals are equipped with the latest and best equipment. In turn this attracts the better doctors thus ensuring better healthcare. This is good for staff who can be trained in the latest techniques by experts which then allows them to seek better paid positions elewhere.

Cons

Very little respect or care is shown for staff, who tend to be treated as resources rather than people. Salaries tend to be the least the company can get away with. There are a lot of double standards and window dressing. There is a published code of conduct, regular training sessions in ethics, statutary training in moving and handling and Fire, etc. but it comes across loud and clear that these sessions are really for the protection of the company rather than individuals. When it comes down to it we are all just a number. For instance the senior manager in our central laboratories retired earlier this year after over 30 years of exemplary service, but received no retirement party or leaving present or even an announcement in praise and recognition of his contribution. Most of us did not know he had left until some time later. The lab has many outside customers, many of whom commented badly about the way the company had treated him. Many staff also were left disillusioned. The company pays poor salaries, but boasts that these are good. They have a grading system, but very few people seem to be told which scale they are on, and the scales certainly are not available to view. Because of this there is a high turnover of staff (the highest turnover is apparently in the H/R department itself) and this makes it very difficult for managers who have to constantly train new staff.

Come around and visit us at the sites. See what we do and what our problems are. Listen to our suggestions and accept that we might know more about it than you. Let us know what is happening at other hospitals and in the market, and what we are doing in response. Let us know how we can help in this. Pay better salaries. Don't be mean with the benefits. Give us the financial support we need to recruit and retain good staff so that we may build strong departments on a firm base of knowledge and experience. In the end we shall all gain from this. We will have an easier time keeping more reliable staff, and those staff will perform better and make you more profit.

HCA International Photos

The Lister Hospital, Chelsea (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Anstiss, Some Rights Reserved)
The Wellington Hospital (Photo thanks to Geograph user Stephen Craven, Some Rights Reserved)
Sevenoaks Medical Centre, London Rd (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo

Worked for HCA International? Contribute to the Community!