HCA Shared Services

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.9

Michael O'Boyle

My experience was positive because I was able to learn a lot in the medical field. Which I had little experience

Former Employee - Underpayment Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Underpayment Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company provides great opportunity for advancement if you are willing to put in the hard work

Cons

Benefits are fairly average could be better based on a large company

Continue to listen to your employees for ideas and advice when rolling out new projects.

Worst Job Ever!!!! Management with Master's Degrees needs to ask for their money back from their colleges.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Triage in Loxahatchee, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Triage in Loxahatchee, FL

I worked at HCA Shared Services

Pros

There are no pro's to working here. Run for the hills!!!

Cons

Worked for this company for 4 years as a Medical Assistant/Triage(I have 17 years total experience as a medical assistant front/back office). In the 3 years since HCA took over our practice we have had 3 different Managers who are all a joke( a Master's degree is useless if you have never worked a patient up in your life). Too many patients and not enough help or time to properly attend to their needs. Employees are not held accountable for bad behavior, rudeness to patients and co-workers, tardiness, calling out for days. When someone leaves, quits or calls out, jobs are absorbed and no one is hired to replace them. Overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated. Raises range from 10 to 25 cents a year(if you get one). No bonuses. Christmas bonus was an umbrella with HCA plastered across it.

Advancement is a joke and nonexistent. Finished my Bachelor's degree in Healthcare Administration while working there and applied for various positions that I am qualified for within the office and company. My application and resume were scrubbed stating I was not qualified for positions ranging from A/R posting to Business Office Specialist. I have 17 years experience in the medical field(front and back office) and a bachelor's degree, If that is not qualified---god help everyone. I quit this horrible job and went to work for a normal company.

Pay more attention to your employees needs. Advance your employees. Compensate your employees. Appreciate your workforce or they will leave. You can fill the schedule to the brim with patients everyday but will not make a profit if you don't have employees to work them up or are too busy to care for their needs. Hire managers that have real world experience in both front and back office.

Awful job

Former Employee - Scheduler/Insurance Verifier in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Scheduler/Insurance Verifier in Nashville, TN

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management did a good job when it came to fixing my schedule. I would go back but I would want to be in a different department.

Cons

They have got to do some research on the supervisors. I would get called into the office for some of the stupidest stuff like "looking at someone wrong." I don't even remember looking at someone wrong and I probably was dealing with an irate customer. As a manager I would not even address someone for something so ridiculous. The job is stressful enough because you are asking dying people for their money over the phone but the supervisor sure made it worse. They will write you up and pull your bonuses so don't expect a bonus. They will find a way. One of my co-workers that was going through chemo-therapy got wrote up for being late. If I was a manager, I could not do that to a person. She still put her 8 hours in but was a little late and I would respect that. I really think I would've stayed their if I had a different supervisor. He was a drama queen and had no backbone for his department. The goals were unrealistic and he would have two people know how to do one job so if one person called out, then the other had to take the load. If both called out, then it just didn't get done.

Hire better managers. I am young and could do a better job than some of them. Place more emphasis on productivity and less on experience. I was the youngest in the department but was pretty high on the productivity portion of the job because I knew several short cuts that older people did not know. Either take away the productivity or use it as a pay raise. Their is no reason for the sheet if you don't use it except to QA people. This job was not worth 13.66/hour and should be way higher. We are calling dying people for money and this is a heartless job so at least pay a decent wage. Nissan pays two dollars more as entry level and the only stress is physical labor.

The company is focused on money - not patient outcomes.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was above average but not congruent with workload.

Cons

Company values and leadership are not consistent with the mission.

Hire an advanced practice nurse leader for all management and higher administration positions.

Great Company

I have been working at HCA Shared Services full-time

Pros

love the benefits, people, and job!

Cons

no real complaints, hca strives to help you succeed in and carreer you might want to do!

A true dead end job

Former Employee - Supply Technician
    Former Employee - Supply Technician

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The hours were consistent, good benefits, no weekends and rather easy job

Cons

Went through 4 bosses in 7 years, some were,for lack of a better word,stupid. No promotions from within(even though it is stated), dealing with some unruly employees added to stress when management ignored constant issues

care more about those who do all the work, pop in more than once every 4 months to make sure director is actually doing his job, actually discipline those who refuse to carry their load causing issues in department

Two month interview process - after working three months given two week notice & severance pay due to Co. restructuring.

Former Employee - Revenue Integrity Nurse Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Revenue Integrity Nurse Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and training - I was not able to use any of the benefits since I was not there long enough.

Cons

Company had to know they were going to be restructuring when they hired me and, hence, were going to lay me off. Direct leadership was encouraging but higher leadership were all bullies.

They probably hired me as a full time employee because it was somehow cheaper than hiring a contract person with similar skills. HCA would do well by their employees if they could implement a degree of trust and job security. They wasted my time when I could have pursued long-term employment elsewhere.

Great company

Former Employee - Document Imaging in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Document Imaging in Irving, TX

I worked at HCA Shared Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

they have so many opportunities in so many areas. Incentive bonuses are generous. Time off is ample and training is both mandatory and helpful. They continue to train through online learning. education reimbursement

Cons

the yearly pay increase is only 1% they start off rather low pay, expect you to know and do things in a fast productive way or you get incentives cut. weekends are mandatory (tues-sat) or (sun-thurs) . repetitive and robotic

have a higher pay range for those who have a degree rather than grouping the one's off the street at the same low pay

Excellent organization. Progressive and driven

I worked at HCA Shared Services

Pros

Highest caliber employees. Knowledgable and driven to provide operational excellence. Staff is well trained and informed. Integrated within hospital leadership team to provide positive savings opportunities.

Cons

Large corporation causes some limitations but provides excellent resources. Work load can be stressful and staffing can feel too light. But teams are driven to exceed expectations in spite of obstacles.

Continue to be progressive

Challenging, fast paced working environment, I loved it!

Current Employee - Patient Access Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Patient Access Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at HCA Shared Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Campus, great parking, great benefits. Excellent training.

Cons

Long hours, too many chiefs, not enough indians.