HCC Insurance

Add Photos

Christopher J.B. Williams

Ok company to work for.

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

ProsThe company has a global presence.

ConsUpper management needs to work out new computer systems. Productivity is down almost half the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more resources to your IT department.

Don't bother they'll just lie!

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMedical insurance is decent

ConsEverything that has been written is true! They are now telling the new hires that things have changed since the bad postings. Don't get fooled! Management doesn't care to fix the problems; they are the problem. The only thing that hasn't been written about is the location. Unsafe & more scary each day! Employees approached in parking lot by strangers; employees beaten outside the gates....all in all it's an experience to work here but probably not one you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees you have; the ones in the trenches not in the offices!

Underwriter

I have been working at HCC Insurance

ProsNone that I can think of, wish this company would improve

ConsTerrible company that plays favorites, pay is awful, benefits are terrible. No work from home option (except for a select few). Different rules for everyone depending on who you are buddy buddy with in upper management. No work life balance, you have kids and want to work one less day after being at the company for a decade, forget it! Not suitable for working moms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on what a work/life balance is. Have some flexibility for working mothers. Stop playing favorites in the office and giving only a select few (we all know who they are) options that others don't have. Everyone in the mass office is fed up with upper management

Disappointment

I worked at HCC Insurance

ProsBenefits are great, opportunities for charity work, free flu shots, free soda and coffee. They also have pretty decent holiday parties.

ConsToo many. The company has good intentions on the lower management levels but it's hard to express gratitude with incentives like average pay or bonuses when they're not allowed by upper management. The pay is incredibly low on an industry standard basis and despite several pleas from within there is no attempt to change. Due to this fact new hires tend to have little experience and/or education translating into a weaker work drive and too many mistakes. There is no internal education required on what products are sold or what the company does in general, the resources are out there but either the employees aren't aware of them or don't care to educate themselves. Open meetings and classes should be required so that the employees understand why they are working for. Another incredibly important oversight is the lack of communication, or openness to communicate between employees and management. I've actually heard more than one person complain of being too afraid to voice a concern due to retribution in some form and have actually experienced it on more than one occasion myself. There are no 1 on 1 meetings outside of the yearly reviews ( which are almost 100% negative and do not in courage improvement) and there is a pretty large gap between levels of experience, there is little to no interaction on a professional level between administration, underwriting and management...you are well aware of "your place" and importance (as in little to none). One last issue I personally saw was quite a degree of backstabbing and unprofessional behavior of both employees and management. I have seen a manager actually call out and employee in front of their colleagues and also make that person cry on what I found out later was a matter that was handled in an incredibly unprofessional manner from management. Overall there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make this office a good, healthy environment for it's employees if they want to keep a higher level of employee retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore education required to employees, open interaction inter office wise, educating people on how they're all interconnected. Higher pay, at least average, if not at least offer bonuses to hourly employees. One on one time every month should be required, not once a year. Encourage employees to voice any dissatisfaction and actually work to address these issues instead of ignoring them or making that employee feel like a terrible person. Their employees are human and have rights and deserve to be treated in a manner that drives them to want to work harder and represent the company in a positive way.

Keeping their promises...

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I took the job I was told that I would have the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. I've been working here for over 2 years and so far management has kept me engaged and learning new things. I am taking on more responsibility and enjoying it. My manager is a good person and seems interested in my career. Benefits are good and the pay is good. I don't understand where these other Glassdoor comments are coming from. I don't see evidence of the things that are talked about in some other posts. It's a shame that people take advantage of anonymous forums like this to spread untruths under the guise of offering advise to other job seekers. If you don't like your job or the company maybe look at yourself first?

ConsThe company is growing pretty fast and there are some obvious growing pains. I see that upper arrangement is trying to bring in the right people to help with this. Several system conversions or upgrades at the same time is a challenge so I would make sure these get the attention they deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is great to work for. I would advise senior management to communicate that they understand the amount of change that is happening and that everyone is working hard. More consistent communication from C level would help with this.

So far, so good

Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time for less than a year

ProsA profitable company, leader in its market. Provides very good benefits and flexible time off policy. Excellent co-workers and support from manager and management team.

ConsNot every employee has an assigned covered parking space. The commute is often hectic. No Jeans on Friday.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify employees with a positive attitude that care for the company, those who will bring new ideas and add value to the organization.

An average learning experience

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has a very talented, experienced and friendly co-workers. Health benefits are good too.

ConsUnfortunately all the individuals in the management are not friendly or approachable.
No work-from-home option, but you cans till work remotely.
I don't like the pay either.

I feel sorry for the interviewees who don't know any better.

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsAt least the CEO acts like he cares.

ConsWhere do I begin? Shall I start with the Draconian values, shall I offer up the immature high school mentality, or should I just elaborate on the truth that this is probably one of the worst companies to work for in the United States? Yes...it is that bad. I have been around and have worked for many years, and have never seen a place this bad.

Let me just start with the most obvious: HR is clearly tasked with getting people in the door, then the management staff are tasked with pissing people off so bad that they quit. And this is a fact; there have been many, many people leaving the company, so fast they leave that HR cannot hire replacements quickly enough. If you want to be stuck in the same position for a decade, berated on a daily basis, and treated like pond scum by communist, racist, bigoted filth that just so inhabits the Houston area and call HCC their employer, then by all means take a job there.

Don't want to take my word for it? Ask a professional recruiter! Word on the street is that HCC has been blacklisted by a few firms who know better than to send competent, ambitious, caring people their way.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no hope. You guys would need to completely reformat the management staff.

nom no do oggoorudon

Claims (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthey have a flexible spending account for medical.

Consthere is no room for growth or advancement. I am in claims. only growth is supervisor. you cant go to other departments. high turnover in claims dept. says a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter. they don't listen.

Worst, soul draining, petty company I have ever had the displeasure of working

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time

ProsPay is decent.
They have a few big events for employees

ConsDraconian Office rules ...business smart attire, blinds have to be at a certain angle - they must be vampires due to their avoidance of natural light. No eating at your desk nor eating snacks etc. All drinks must be in styrofoam cups - they're real environmentalists. No clear business objectives and every week the priorities change. The upper management lives in some disjointed dream world and are generally out of touch with employee issues. The central corp entity has very little control over what standards and rules to apply to the subsidiaries which makes implementing new procedures, processes and systems nearly impossible. I could go on for hours about the terrible, paranoid working conditions but I just don't want to spend any more of my life thinking about that soul sucking place.

Advice to Senior ManagementShut the company, the business model and employee treatment will continue the ~1/3rd of the corp employees turn over each year.

Worked for HCC Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HCC Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HCC Insurance CEO Christopher J.B. Williams. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by HCC Insurance employees.