HCC Insurance

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher J.B. Williams

HCC did more for my career that any other single company

Senior IT Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIn the IT department we had a large amount of training available to us. Granted, we had to be ambitious enough to ask for it. Not a big cost for valuable training. HCC allowed me to get a vast amount of exposure to other technologies as the flat organizational structure promote cross technology cooperation. There was some political drama, but those managers and leads are no longer at the company. A lot of liberties were given to resources who had the ambition to think outside of the box and to look towards new technologies. The constant interaction with C-Level executives provided a lot of transparency.

ConsWhile the pay may had not been the best, the training options more than made up for it.
    Subsidiaries can be somewhat abrasive and sometimes outright deceiving, but we had a lot of support from local management allowing resources like myself to stand up for what we new was technically sound.
    Change control was a little informal at the time (excel spreadsheet) but the change manager does well with the tools provided to him.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank You! My time there has help me become the Virtual Architect that I am today. If it were not for you guys i would still be stuck in an oil patch somewhere!

Inequality, Antiquated, Lack of Female Executives

(Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, 7.5-hour work day, early release before holidays, nice employee parties, free sodas, casual Fridays, flat organizational structure allows many non-management positions to work directly with executive management.

ConsAntiquated, extremely conservative, stuck in the 60s with only a select few "favorites" allowed to telecommute or work part time even though it wasn't allowed for anyone else. Very strict "business casual" attire. Extremely slow to adopt new technology. Wasteful with money by flying employees all over the place for pointless meetings rather than using technology. Very few females in executive roles and women are very unlikely to advance. Flat organizational structure allows little room for advancement. After a decade of employment there with nothing but stellar reviews by management and peers, was told "you should just be happy you get to interact everyday with executive management" when inquiring about advancement opportunities. Quick to turn on former dedicated employees once they retire or leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementResist showing favoritism and demonstrating inequality amongst employees. Consider recognizing dedicated, proactive employees by creating new titles in lieu of a true promotion since there are few promotion opportunities available. Allow everyone the opportunity to telecommute or dress more casually. A little humility goes a long way.

They need to do more to catch up with the rest of the industry.

Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEarly release before a holiday. That is about all that I can commend them for, however that is pretty typical in most area workplaces.

ConsNo work from home options, no flexibility in time and a culture seeped in 80s management techniques. The favorites game is obvious and the salary is paltry for the industry. Although they have good ratings from the financial standpoint, that is awarded on the backs of lower level employees who are treated as cogs in a machine- easily replaceable so no investment is thrown in their direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop down overhaul. It's about more than just the bottom line- as your competitors have learned, happy employees are productive employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underwriter

ProsNone that I can think of, wish this company would improve

ConsTerrible company that plays favorites, pay is awful, benefits are terrible. No work from home option (except for a select few). Different rules for everyone depending on who you are buddy buddy with in upper management. No work life balance, you have kids and want to work one less day after being at the company for a decade, forget it! Not suitable for working moms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue on what a work/life balance is. Have some flexibility for working mothers. Stop playing favorites in the office and giving only a select few (we all know who they are) options that others don't have. Everyone in the mass office is fed up with upper management

Don't bother they'll just lie!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMedical insurance is decent

ConsEverything that has been written is true! They are now telling the new hires that things have changed since the bad postings. Don't get fooled! Management doesn't care to fix the problems; they are the problem. The only thing that hasn't been written about is the location. Unsafe & more scary each day! Employees approached in parking lot by strangers; employees beaten outside the gates....all in all it's an experience to work here but probably not one you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees you have; the ones in the trenches not in the offices!

Disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are great, opportunities for charity work, free flu shots, free soda and coffee. They also have pretty decent holiday parties.

ConsToo many. The company has good intentions on the lower management levels but it's hard to express gratitude with incentives like average pay or bonuses when they're not allowed by upper management. The pay is incredibly low on an industry standard basis and despite several pleas from within there is no attempt to change. Due to this fact new hires tend to have little experience and/or education translating into a weaker work drive and too many mistakes. There is no internal education required on what products are sold or what the company does in general, the resources are out there but either the employees aren't aware of them or don't care to educate themselves. Open meetings and classes should be required so that the employees understand why they are working for. Another incredibly important oversight is the lack of communication, or openness to communicate between employees and management. I've actually heard more than one person complain of being too afraid to voice a concern due to retribution in some form and have actually experienced it on more than one occasion myself. There are no 1 on 1 meetings outside of the yearly reviews ( which are almost 100% negative and do not in courage improvement) and there is a pretty large gap between levels of experience, there is little to no interaction on a professional level between administration, underwriting and management...you are well aware of "your place" and importance (as in little to none). One last issue I personally saw was quite a degree of backstabbing and unprofessional behavior of both employees and management. I have seen a manager actually call out and employee in front of their colleagues and also make that person cry on what I found out later was a matter that was handled in an incredibly unprofessional manner from management. Overall there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make this office a good, healthy environment for it's employees if they want to keep a higher level of employee retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore education required to employees, open interaction inter office wise, educating people on how they're all interconnected. Higher pay, at least average, if not at least offer bonuses to hourly employees. One on one time every month should be required, not once a year. Encourage employees to voice any dissatisfaction and actually work to address these issues instead of ignoring them or making that employee feel like a terrible person. Their employees are human and have rights and deserve to be treated in a manner that drives them to want to work harder and represent the company in a positive way.

Ok company to work for.

ProsThe company has a global presence.

ConsUpper management needs to work out new computer systems. Productivity is down almost half the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more resources to your IT department.

So far, so good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA profitable company, leader in its market. Provides very good benefits and flexible time off policy. Excellent co-workers and support from manager and management team.

ConsNot every employee has an assigned covered parking space. The commute is often hectic. No Jeans on Friday.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify employees with a positive attitude that care for the company, those who will bring new ideas and add value to the organization.

Keeping their promises...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWhen I took the job I was told that I would have the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. I've been working here for over 2 years and so far management has kept me engaged and learning new things. I am taking on more responsibility and enjoying it. My manager is a good person and seems interested in my career. Benefits are good and the pay is good. I don't understand where these other Glassdoor comments are coming from. I don't see evidence of the things that are talked about in some other posts. It's a shame that people take advantage of anonymous forums like this to spread untruths under the guise of offering advise to other job seekers. If you don't like your job or the company maybe look at yourself first?

ConsThe company is growing pretty fast and there are some obvious growing pains. I see that upper arrangement is trying to bring in the right people to help with this. Several system conversions or upgrades at the same time is a challenge so I would make sure these get the attention they deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is great to work for. I would advise senior management to communicate that they understand the amount of change that is happening and that everyone is working hard. More consistent communication from C level would help with this.

An average learning experience

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis company has a very talented, experienced and friendly co-workers. Health benefits are good too.

ConsUnfortunately all the individuals in the management are not friendly or approachable.
    No work-from-home option, but you cans till work remotely.
    I don't like the pay either.

Worked for HCC Insurance? Contribute to the Community!