HCC Insurance

Not bad

Current Employee - Processing
    Current Employee - Processing

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

Pros

Friendly and approachable management; Work/life balance; clear definition of job goals; take actions to show appreciation of employees; paid early closure before major holidays

Cons

No clear path to promotion; feedback about job performance is rare

Be honest about the ability to move up in the company.

Learned a positive lesson

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

Pros

Financially strong company, doing better things for employees. Not sure why all the comments are about, but one thing is for sure, everyone speaks though their own perspective; in my point of view, if someone has so many negative things to say about a place and they actually take the time to write about it, they mean harm, so don't believe everything everyone writes. I learned my lesson and follow my gut to take this position: I'm happy I did and did not put a lot of weight in the negative comments.

Cons

Just like any company it has its cons, maybe I don't get to receive the perks of the upper management, but I understand, I'm not a manager.

Get rid of the disgruntled employees, they do a lot of harm, even if it means to have more negative reviews here....

Idiotic mid-level fraternity-style mgmt in a toxic, sexist, work environment

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get benefits and 2 weeks off a year. You can work in a nice office with parking

Cons

-terrible communication
    -no employee recognition (did not celebrate employees at all; had to buy each other birthday cakes, cards)
    - did not stock the break room with supplies. Coffee was out for weeks at a time
    - they are terribly insecure. They take everything personally. They don't know how to manage at all and have created a terrible work environment. They enjoyed controlling the office yet they wereterrible at their jobs. Last in, first to leave. Dress code-strict. No eating at desks.
    -they had a fake receptionist to make themselves feel important to the 5 visitors they get yearly (all about putting on a show). They only interacted with employees when there were visitors. Strangely, they were only interested in each other. Weirdest thing watching grown men take all bathroom breaks and lunches together
    -the office environment most likely resembles a morgue
    - they encourage employees to rat on one another. I was promised an office manager role if I did so
    -feels like there was no common goal in office
    -deadening silence in the office. Was so incredibly uncomfortable.

Smaller offices need HR presence. No one is happy. We need the opportunity to rate/review the place we work

Just a job

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company parties, early closure before holidays.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, no opportunities for advancement, extra duties not listed in job description, low morale and zero teamwork from peers. Sneaky coworkers coming in extremely late, leaving early and not recording their time.

Not A Bad Place To Work

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working here and really miss the place. The company as a whole is okay, nowhere near as bad as these negative reviews put it out to be. Just like in any company, do your work, be easy to work with, and you'll be fine here for a long time. The company is very stable and was always making bigger profits every year. You do get bonuses here for your hard work and get recognized for your efforts. Health insurance is really cheap compared to other companies. Company closed early before major holidays which was nice.

Cons

The location, it's just not a nice area to be in especially with all the construction going on. When I was there, an employee was assaulted and left unconscious in the middle of the afternoon near one of the gates which is why there are only 2 ways to enter the property now. Pay is lower than competitors, or at least that's what everyone complains about working there. Company loses many employees every year and doesn't seem to care.

Give your employees less reasons to leave.

The culture at HCC Insurance is toxic and miserable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at HCC Insurance as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the employees who share your misery are pleasant (misery loves company).

Cons

An appalling void of leadership. Very insulated and arrogant executives. Observing the executives demonstrate bazaar favoritism to some who are deeply mistrusted and disliked throughout the entire organization is mystifying. The protection given to some of the worst members of the organization (poor performance/delivery obvious to the organization) at the expense of the best (who generally won't tolerate this behavior long and won't stay) creates insecurity, disdain, and mistrust for the executive team. HCC's reputation as a brutal, uncomfortable, unfulfilling, and unsupportive organization in the Houston community is well deserved.

From the looks of these reviews, management doesn't heed "advice" (not surprising) so I'll refrain from wasting my time. Most employees are left to conclude that the executive's interests lie only in their personal gain, as these complaints have been consistent for years and nothing ever changes.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow within the company, especially if you have a good work ethic and can produce results. Good pay and benefits. Management has done a great deal to improve morale and create a more inclusive culture. Very surprised by many of the negative reviews - it almost made me second guess my offer, but I'm glad I joined!

Cons

The decentralized business model presents a lot of challenges because many entities work in silos and refuse to unify. Communication can also be weak between different groups, departments, and entities. HR is a somewhat of a mess right now, so getting good candidates is not happening.

Work harder at unifying subsidiaries and creating standard processes. You can still have a decentralized business model with standard processes and unified systems. Don't get greedy - reward your hard working employees.

HCC is a changing environment.

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great learning opportunity for beginner

Cons

company is to strict on time management.

Not a good place to work. Working here in Houston for less than 1 year

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to start off.

Cons

Against my better judgement I accepted this position and turned down a different one. I wish I hadn't!! Everything on here is true. I read the reviews and said I'll judge for myself and boy did I make a mistake. It seems like HRs job is to lie to people about what the job is just to get them in the door then everything changes. Trust these reviews. There have been almost 6 people quit from my department in less than 6 months. Very high turnover and no one seems to care. Money is everything around here... Not flexible not fun everyone and everything is so "professional" too much! Can't even wear jeans on Fridays. No kind of team building. Hard to work with the other locations and no one ever seems to know what they're doing. If you have another offer.. Take it don't come here. The location is horrible!!

Show some thought and care for your employees. Let's have Fridays as Jean days like the rest of the world! Do some team building where people actually see management and interact with them.

Less than impressed

I have been working at HCC Insurance

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Micromanager. Location is horrible. High turnover and no one cares. Silly petty obsessions by upper management. Don't care about employees who are lower in the food chain. Only upper management is valued in this company. Too strict with time and attendance. No jeans on Friday. Not a fun environment. Hard to communicate with subsidiaries. I will not recommend anyone to work here!!!

Show that you care about your employees and be more flexible.