HCC Insurance Reviews

2.8
Christopher J.B. Williams

1. Great people and nice campus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with. It's a very diverse workplace with many who've been with the company for many years. The job isn't overly difficult and they give you (and highly encourage you) to keep educating yourself in not only your respective expertise, but also with the insurance business. I have yet to put in any overtime so the work/life balance is a good one. The CEO is friendly and easy to engage if you are lucky to be able to encounter him - busy fellow. The campus is undergoing remodeling and one section finally reopened - very nice!

Cons

It's a large campus divided by 2 stories in the first building and 3 stories in the second so getting to know people can be tough at times. Some teams have micro-managers while others are more trusting and relaxed, but I guess that's how it goes in most places. Some people say the area surrounding the campus is "sketchy" but I've not encountered any difficulty nor fear for my safety.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees aware of important details such as the recent acquisition, it helps with fears. Encourage all leaders to be more trusting of their employees across the board through policies.

2. Sales Rep

Pros

Good work environment flexible schedule

Cons

On the phones all day not much growth

Very Stable & Continuing to Grow

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

Pros

Very competitive salary, excellent vacation policy and a robust benefits package. The people here are smart, bright and professional individuals. A lot of tenured folks; some have been here for 10+, 20+ years, which has somewhat of a correlation to how much they enjoy their work. • The recent acquisition announcement by Tokio Marine has been seen as very favorable by both management and employees alike • The Houston office is undergoing a major renovation and the facilities are very well taken care of (this is noticeable on your first visit) • The company sponsors activities for employees throughout the year: Go Texan Day, Health Fair, Astros Day, Spring Picnic, Holiday Party, ect • After one year of service they match your 401K up to 6%

Cons

I have read through the cons that others have posted and I'm actually quite surprised. It's sad that they have had such a bad experience but mine has not been the same. It is a typical business environment and people tend to keep to themselves. Having said that, everyone here is friendly and helpful.

Advice to Management

I think the only advise I can give them is to stay visible to employees. With offices throughout the US and Europe they stay very busy. I've sat and talked with everyone including the CEO at company events, which they all usually attend.

A good, stable company that has made great strides to become an employer of choice!

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Professional, intelligent colleagues that work together to get the job done. Opportunities for those that prove themselves. Comprehensive benefits.

Cons

I would like to see the company continue to evolve and communicate at all levels. There are some things that still need updating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Solid company with a capable and dedicated group of employees

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A financially stable organization that makes wise decisions regarding business risks. Opportunities for advance for based on merit and performance. Compensation is market-competitive.

Cons

The organization is a bit too conservative in some aspects of its operations. For example, working from home is not encouraged or even allowed.

Advice to Management

Need to be a bit more trusting of employees by allowing them to determine how best to complete a task and then recognize and support those employee decisions.

7. It's been a good place to learn the insurance industry

Pros

It's an insurance company that continues to grow and do well even under current economic conditions

Cons

It isn't a professional or corporate environment Some departments do not offer opportunities for growth and are dead end positions. Also they aren't generous with pay or benefits.

8. Not bad

Current Employee - Processing
    Current Employee - Processing

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

Pros

Friendly and approachable management; Work/life balance; clear definition of job goals; take actions to show appreciation of employees; paid early closure before major holidays

Cons

No clear path to promotion; feedback about job performance is rare

Advice to Management

Be honest about the ability to move up in the company.

Learned a positive lesson

I have been working at HCC Insurance full-time

Pros

Financially strong company, doing better things for employees. Not sure why all the comments are about, but one thing is for sure, everyone speaks though their own perspective; in my point of view, if someone has so many negative things to say about a place and they actually take the time to write about it, they mean harm, so don't believe everything everyone writes. I learned my lesson and follow my gut to take this position: I'm happy I did and did not put a lot of weight in the negative comments.

Cons

Just like any company it has its cons, maybe I don't get to receive the perks of the upper management, but I understand, I'm not a manager.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the disgruntled employees, they do a lot of harm, even if it means to have more negative reviews here....

Idiotic mid-level fraternity-style mgmt in a toxic, sexist, work environment

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get benefits and 2 weeks off a year. You can work in a nice office with parking

Cons

-terrible communication -no employee recognition (did not celebrate employees at all; had to buy each other birthday cakes, cards) - did not stock the break room with supplies. Coffee was out for weeks at a time - they are terribly insecure. They take everything personally. They don't know how to manage at all and have created a terrible work environment. They enjoyed controlling the office yet they wereterrible at their jobs. Last in, first to leave. Dress code-strict. No eating at desks. -they had a fake receptionist to make themselves feel important to the 5 visitors they get yearly (all about putting on a show). They only interacted with employees when there were visitors. Strangely, they were only interested in each other. Weirdest thing watching grown men take all bathroom breaks and lunches together -the office environment most likely resembles a morgue - they encourage employees to rat on one another. I was promised an office manager role if I did so -feels like there was no common goal in office -deadening silence in the office. Was so incredibly uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Smaller offices need HR presence. No one is happy. We need the opportunity to rate/review the place we work

11. Just a job

I worked at HCC Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company parties, early closure before holidays.

Cons

Lots of favoritism, no opportunities for advancement, extra duties not listed in job description, low morale and zero teamwork from peers. Sneaky coworkers coming in extremely late, leaving early and not recording their time.

RSS Feed </> Embed