HCL Technologies

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.2 2,833 reviews

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta

Anant Gupta

Pros
  • Provides the work life balance which is a major concern in todays corporate world(in 232 reviews)

• Work environment is more friendly & provides full opportunity to take lead in higher responsibilities(in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Working timings needs to be streamlined to allow better work life balance(in 57 reviews)

• Only company words say "employee first" but no concern on employee whatsoever(in 82 reviews)

2,833 Employee Reviews

A good company to work but with no salary hike

Prosan environment where you could learn many things apart from your project oriented skills

ConsThis depends upon the type of manager you get. apart from this everything will be good, and one main thing is the salary hike will not be as expected

Its been a funfilled learning and growth

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

5. Ability to directly interact with the senior management
    6. On time payments with no hassles

Cons1. Demanding environment and need to be able to keep up with the demands
    2. Working timings needs to be streamlined to allow better work life balance

HCL has been a friendly and secure corporate port to dock my career ship at.

ProsAt HCL, Ideapreneurship encourages germination of ideas, nurturing and implementing them thereby providing a great platform for individual and organizational growth. Leadgen is another initiative aimed at tapping business opportunities identified by HCLites and recognizing them for their customer-facing and marketing skills.

ConsThough work-life balance may get affected for a few HCLites, especially for those working in shifts, better planning and counseling would definitely help restore it.

Advice to Senior ManagementA stronger focus on recognizing and retaining talented professionals would go a long way in creating a better knowledge organization and spur HCL's growth further.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Weehawken, NJ

ProsEmployee Friendly and good office culture

ConsLack of Planning and predictions of future projects

A challenging endeavor with some unexpected rewards.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHCL is surprising in a way that it can see it's shortcomings and recognize where it's failures are and proactively takes careful measured steps to counter act these issues. HCL looks outward and inward with equal gusto and fervor seeking the best results it can get. This comes from driven management, people that care about people. Sounds cliche I know, perhaps it would sound more clear stated as management that care about business with people as their primary focus. That is the impression that is given, then all the rest seems to fall into place with budgets and margins and contracts and so forth.
    Next is another big plus is that HCL has to have one of the very best health care packages in the industry.
    As a Pro and Con, you can be as much as you are willing to to be in HCL. If you put in the effort and time, the two are key, then you can rise in the ranks or change roles as desired to new challenging roles to your hearts desire.
    HCL is for lack of a better term, visionary. They are able to see trends way in the future and start staging for these trends in the technology and business market place years in advance.
    If you invest in HCL they will invest in you. I am amazed in how much HCL has committed to me. (this is for those that may be just coming on board with HCL trying to decide) I was almost certain as a non-Indian that I would be replaced once I trained up others to do my own job. What I found is that I was not. I was valued as and individual and as a valued resource that gave into the organization. That said I was able to not only train others to do my role that allowed me to grow to do other more challenging thing and grow into new roles. So to you who may be on the edge, never be afraid of growth and sharing knowledge. Use your knowledge as a catalyst to grow into the next level.
    As others have stated, much depends on the engagement you are attached to and your RM can make a big difference in how pleased you are with your day to day life.
    There are many more that I will not elaborate on but rather simply list a few:

Value Creation and recognition and compensation of employee generated Ideas
    Recognition and compensation for any sales leads that generate business.
    Encouragement of creativity.
    Open door policy of management all the way up to the CEO
    Internal Training Available
    Vacation or time off allowed
    Interactions with Global Alliance Partners

There are more but this will get to long.

ConsFirst off as most will mention, the pay. HCL is not a top dollar company and I like others can make more money by moving elsewhere. What HCL does to counteract this is to pay below market pay and grant incredible opportunities and benefits to it's people as the offset. Still it is a Con. I for one would like to see the pay reach more middle ground. I also see nothing wrong with compensating for work well done. I would like to see a better bonus system in place that can reward individuals for exceptional work completed.
    HCL is big and things do not move fast. Like most large companies they are not as nimble as they want or perhaps think they are. However they actively make the effort to respond.
    HCL has the same malady that many Visionaries face. They lack the ability to thoroughly execute on those visions over time (Special internal programs). They start them in wondrous fashion but lack the momentum to keep it up the levels of industry leading standards. These should grow and constantly adjust to the industry to be the industry leader in whatever area we are targeting. (**This does not refer to projects for clients where they execute on time and on budget as a rule.)

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are pockets in individuals within your organizations that are masters at execution. These individuals know how to operationally manage end to end life cycles. These are the same individuals that need to be empowered to run the programs that have fallen behind in versions that do not match the industry that we market.
    More aggressive bonus program to allow for larger bonuses to individuals. Nothing says thank you like a big check to go shopping with.
    Better live balance, I would suggest a required week off.
    Loose iTime. If you are going to track time, do it for real. track every minute of time, even if it's 100 hours a week. Know what the staff is doing so that you know through analytic's whether you need to staff up based on need. There is presently no method to do this.

Amazing experience

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing Culture. EFCS by the word of it

ConsSlightly moving away from people centric to process centric. Might have an impact on culture change

A Great Place to Work

Pros1.Lots of Opportunities to excel and Extemporize our career.
    2.Friendly atmosphere and work life balance is great.
    3.Employees are applauded in different ways for their effort.(appreciation month,sopt awards etc)
    3.Lots of internal certifications and people having penchant for learning can benefit.
    4.They care lot about employees safety and night cabs are available starting as early as PM and there are no clause
    like lot other companies wherein they approve depending upon the designation etc.

ConsSalary hike should be made in par with other MNCs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focussing on 'Employee First' policy as always ..

Freedom, but at the cost of some money

Technical Lead (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsRespect, Recognition, Freedom and more open culture. There is one saying in HCL, you can put your name on a Brick, on a wall or on an entire building. As with every other organization in the world, here to you find different people, but the culture as a whole is very open and not very hierarchical as any typical Indian company. Though we are seeing some freedom is being taken off in the last couple of years, its better than what I hear from my friends in other similar companies.

ConsIndia or in other countries, the compensation at HCL is always below the average market rate. This is always a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider salary as one of the key retention tool, apart from other emotional things. And there is lot of scope to improve in the internal processes which takes more time than needed.

HCL - Great place to start

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsBest work culture, positive outlook, empowerment. Provide opportunity to be yourself and stretch your limits. Hard work & Smart work will be recognized.

Conssalary is not competitive. Promotions are very slow. Identifying talents are not neutral always.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Clients!!

ProsGood Consulting Experience, lot to learn

ConsPoor Benefits, work culture not effective

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!