HCL Technologies

3.3 2,762 reviews

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta

Anant Gupta

2,762 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Its hard to find pros, but depending on project there may be good work life balance"
    in 211 reviews
  • "HCL gives you opportunities to learn and grow but its depends on you as well as on your managers"
    in 72 reviews
Cons:
  • "Excess work presure disrutps the work life balance of an individul"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Employee First' philosophy has turned out to be a mere marketing gimmick"
    in 76 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood health benefits, good opportunities. Great initiatives to keep employees engaged and informed.

ConsRecent changes in the organization not spreading positive vibes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrew many fold in last 5-6 years

Awesome if you dont look for money

Senior Technical Lead (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood and friendly working environment

ConsDont expect good salary hike,allowances etc. Except money you will get all benefits

HCL emp for 3 years and have had primarily good experiences

SME (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsDepending on your supervisor is it can be very pleasant and challenging (in a good way). Straight 40 hours a week makes for a good work/life balance.

ConsNot many chances to advance (unless you are native Indian). It feels at times that here is the US, the Indian management looks on us as second class

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering the size of some of the Contracts and the complexity of providing support across a huge multinational corp it would behoove management to retain talented workers by providing REAL raises. A colleague of mine was hired at a low rate and was told that after 1 year and if performance was good, he would get a raise. He got one alright, an extra 10 cents an hour!!

I do not understand the motto "Employees first"... low pay, abysmal raises, very little time off and it is usually held against you when you do take time... how is this "Employees first" customer 2nd. HCL would retain more good talent if they rewarded good performance better and give more vacation time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sr TL in MSBI (DWBI)

Assistant Manager (MSBI) (Current Employee)

ProsMore than 8yrs Exp in SSRS, SSIS, SSAS in MSBI
    Over all 12 yrs exp.

Cons85k PA and Expected salary is between 100K - 110K based on location.

Nothing more than a body shop!

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsMedical insurance policy is pretty good.
    Interview process is not hard at all, anyone can clear with little preparation.

ConsWork culture is pathetic.
    Value system is non-existent. HR and Managers will lie to you about everything just to get you on board. Once you are in, they will forget about all their promises.
    Management only focuses on revenue and margins. Employees are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating employees like human beings and not as numbers in a balance sheet. Show some respect for the people who are really your bread and butter earners.

Good Exprnc

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsWork Life balance, Learning, New Opportunities

ConsPoor Compensation, slow personal growth

Questionable Business Practices

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsIT is a job and you get paid. Company provides insurance. You get to work with live bodies. you get an opportunity to gain insight to a different culture.

ConsThey say they can do projects but really can't and spend a lot of time learning the domain and sometimes the programming platform and while clients are complaining, they are making excuses and/or promising more things they can't deliver on. Salary increases are negligible so be sure to negotiate your salary well. Cheap insurance so be sure to have a back up plan. Leadership styles are ineffective for producing the kinds of results they promise to clients. Cultural innuendos erodes trust and make inclusion of women and non-Indians an illusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real! if you are going to do business in the USA, adopt the culture of work. Be a contender not a pretender!

Service desk Adecco Project

Service Desk Tech Level I (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsStable work for 1 year.

ConsThey lie to get you in the door and then mistreat you. I was suppose to be hired but they jerked me around for 6 months where I was let go for bs reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring Americans in management positions they are a racist company.

False showcase of strength and promises.. Do not join as employee.. Join only as contractor ( if you get good rate)

IT Project Manager II (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThey have good long term projects in Infrastructure space. Most other engagements have large number of resources hence you will get good connectivity of friends. There are few good accounts with good managers (less number though) but you really need to hunt yourself for such positions.. I find this is really good place for contractors where you get good rate and you anyway know that you need to find yourself another project once current one is over.

ConsBiggest problem with company is -- it acts as body shopper, focus on terminating employee than trying to place them in other projects, False promises and absolutely no transparency, minimal support from managers.

1) Management is really full of false promises. Their Employee First is only for marketing and really has no meaning. Please do not believe in any promise associated with salary raises / GC processing...
    2) Too much of politics..
    3) In USA, It makes no sense to join this company as full time employee. You anyway get terminated by end of project. If you are getting good rate, join as contractor only.
    4) They will terminate employee on the last billable day. They will give you 2 weeks notice in hand while you are still working on billable project. Friends, if you hear anything about your project ramp down or project coming to an end in 2-3 months... Please look for another job...
    5) Their placement efforts.... well let's just say, not much.. You need to reach out to other accounts to find a place for you.... you cannot depend on them. I particularly find this extremely different (and huge negative point) than all other big giants like TCS, Cognizant, etc... This is companies strategy to remove high paying employees... If your project is ending after October, most like they will prefer getting new resource from offshore (less cost) than placing you in another project.
    6) Please do extra research before you join specific account.. Most of the time during your interview, recruiters will tell you that project is long term... you will get disappointed when you join and find out reality is different.. Please find your friends in that account or in that area.. check if particular account is going through major ramp down or any other issues.. Believe me it is really worth to check 100 times before getting small raise and joining this company..
    7) they have worst relocation / travel policies...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do better planning and be transparent... See if your actions match with your Employee First policy

Manipulated by HCL, but with kindness and the feeling of respect.

ProsIf you can get in the door insistent on your pay - you will get it. The company is easygoing if you don't ever mention pay raises or anything special.

ConsVery difficult to navigate the HR Processes for pay increases - some arrogance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat people first and give opportunities, fulfill all promises your managers make and give people growing opportunities HCL can easily outgrow everyone else.

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

HCL Technologies Videos

HCL Technologies – Why Work for Us?

At HCL, we bring IT and engineering services under one roof to solve complex business problems for our clients. We attribute our success to our dedicated workforce, currently estimated at 95,000 . By leveraging… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HCL Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta. All 2,762 reviews posted anonymously by HCL Technologies employees.