HCL Technologies Reviews in New York City, NY

3.3
3,019 Reviews

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta
Anant Gupta

Pros
  • Provides the work life balance which is a major concern in todays corporate world (in 232 reviews)

• Work environment is more friendly & provides full opportunity to take lead in higher responsibilities (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Working timings needs to be streamlined to allow better work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Only company words say "employee first" but no concern on employee whatsoever (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Insurance benefits, horrible everything else

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance is good. Some flexibility with work location. Bi-monthly pay is nice. There truly aren't very many "pros" to HCL America...

Cons

I'm not sure why they call it HCL America. Literally everything is handled offshore in India. There isn't a single non-Indian American in senior or executive leadership. No advancement to senior or executive management unless you're Indian. I find this very disturbing and racist. Pay is horrible.

Travel policy is a complete joke. You have to pay for your own travel, cell phone, etc. and hope for reimbursement. Only $50 max a month allowance for cell phone, and they want you to have a smart phone with data and texting. This a is impossible to do with a max of $50. $90-$100 a night limits on hotel stays when traveling. This is AFTER taxes and fees. This is the limit I have as a manager. It's even less for front-line employees.

"Employee First" is just a catch phrase. They DO NOT practice this philosophy. HCL is losing business in America at a rapid pace compared to where they were 5-10 years ago. Companies use HCL for a few years to help their bottom line and realize how bad their services are and then don't renew their contracts. I had a senior leader tell me that their American business is flatlining and all major opportunities are now in Europe.

Place a senior/executive team IN the United States for HCL America. It would be nice if these leaders were actual Americans with English as their first language. Pay your employees a competitive salary for native U.S. citizens (especially managers)!!!

Start really living the Employee First philosophy. I have been a manager with HCL America for a couple of years and haven't seen it lived out yet. It's a real joke.

Get company travel/T&E cards for your employees who have to travel/buy supplies more than a few times a year. Stop requiring the use of a "travel desk" that is located in India and is 12 hours time difference. Let us use a travel website to book travel for ourselves, this would actually save money for HCL. Stop with the ridiculous $90-$100 AFTER taxes and fees a night limits on hotels. This is so impractical and my employees and I usually end up at a nasty hotel in a dangerous part of town.

HCL America needs to be run by employees that are actually in America. Not having this in place scares off critical talent. You would keep and gain more U.S. business if you started this practice.

Very unfair company to employees and customers. Even damaging to US by using unethical and illegal visa practices.

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One should think of working here for a month or two only in case there is no other respectable job available.

Cons

Company pays bonus / incentive only partially and that too after 6 months of closing the financial year provided the employee is on pay roll on the date of the payout. 95% of HCL sales people in US have been brought from India on H1B visa by declaring incorrect job descriptions to immigration. This is done to ensure that the salaries paid to sales executives are almost equal to the salaries of truck drivers in US. Even these sales executives working on truck drivers' salary are not paid their incetives at all or paid only partially.

Not worth giving any advice

employee

Former Employee - Network Support  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Support in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

none the collect a paycheck and start looking for another company to work for.

Cons

When you are an HCL employee they pay as if you where in india you need to sub your income with Food Stamps to help you make ends meat. one of the most worse companies to work for. They take over a network support contract in the US and by the end of a year the US company is looking to get rid of them. they win the contract because they are cheap and they lie. you get what you are paying for. they lied to there employees and customers. they need to import more H1B Visas from india to Survive In the USA. When HCL bring people from India they last 6 months they jump to another US company looking for more money.

They dont tell the true all lies. good company to be a union shop.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Worst Consulting Firm in the USA

Current Employee - SAP Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAP Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company was a pleasure to work for until it was purchased by the Indian firm, HCL. All has changed since that time. See Cons.

Cons

HCL has the weakest management team I have ever encountered. Most seem to be castoffs from IBM or other larger firms. HCL forces the consultants to use a very tiny US travel agency. It was selected only because the owner is related to an executive at HCL. The cost to clients has more than doubled in some instances. HCL also charges the client a full-day per diem, but only pays consultants for the actuals. HCL takes the difference. This is desperation on the part of HCL execs.

Pathetic policies, totally offshore minded company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good health insurance package. The premium is on a higher side, but the benefits are far better than offered by any of its competitor company.

Cons

The company totally works on a offshore eccentric model. The HCL America employees are considered foreigners and there are no specific policies defined for them in their policy portal. All policies are listed based on assumption that all HCL America employees have moved from India to America. Things work here based on who you know rather than a defined process. No professionalism here at all. The HR system of the company is a pain to work with. If you are working on an employment offer with them, make sure to take all the agreed upon items in writing, as their HR do not stick to their word. It is next to impossible to schedule a personal meeting with senior management, as all of them work from offshore and do not have time to talk. In between the status meetings with senior manager and VP level people, the attendees start talking in their regional language assuming everyone belongs to Tamil Nadu.

Need to take care of employees and not consider them as use and throw items. Induce professional culture and measure the employees worth based on their work and not on who they know. Have policies listed down specifically for HCL America considering that employees of HCL America are not all that come from India and are hired locally in US.

Stay Away!

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a Job. Better than being unemployed

Cons

Company is based in India. All processes are performed via e-mail and HR customer service portal. Things take long to get resolved. The ratio of manager to employees actually performing the work need to be reversed. I had to give mandatory 2 weeks notice before leaving, which meant they would owe me another week of pay. Have not received payment for my last week. seeking legal action to try to get paid.

"Employees First" axiom is definitely not practiced in HCL America. You do get the impression that it is in India.
    If company policies apply only to certain regions they should be made specifically clear.
    Sensitivity training should also be given to Indian employees – so they can relate to American culture just as American employees are given sensitivity training to learn to relate to Indian employees.

Not a great company

Current Employee - Group Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good learning oppurtunities for freshers and college passouts.

Cons

Micro management and lack of open attitude

Management need to start focussing on employee satisfaction. Company needs to revisit all employee benefits and related policies

Do not work here

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at HCL America for over 4 year. My old company outsourced my product development to HCL in 1998. They gave me a retention bonus earned after staying for a year, which is nice.

Cons

I am one of the many senior software engineer in the team. Every year, they kept laying off current senior people and outsourced their responsiblities to India. Some Indian programmers are pretty good technically. But they only do what you tell them to do. They don't have much other common sense. If you spec is missing a few details or is wrong, they would just code it anyway. Also, there is no career opportunities for existing developers from the transitioned company. You are there for knowledge transfer only. I see all these junior/mid developers rose the ranks to become managers or leads over the 4 years that I worked there. Their idea of employee first is really Indian people first. Also, I got like less than 1% raise every year. The only reason that I stayed was because my manager, who is out of state, let me worked from home (which is a real big convenience). Their HCL America web site was really confusing with a lot of sites that are not connected. I had to create several credentials. But over the years, they improved it a lot, actually. But as of 2012, it is still not as good as my old company's internal website (2008). There is a lot of bureaucracy within the organization. We tried to get a laptop and had to go thru like a dozen approvals and took over a year. Also, HCL does not really know how to do product development. All they are about is their bottom-lin and profit margin.

A company that calls itself 'a transformer' while actually being just a body shopper

Current Employee - Solution Architect  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

stable employment even in crisis situation
    visionary CEO and some good top executives

Cons

A body shop that has zero interest in the employee and employees well being
    CEO talks about "employee first" "disruptive" "transformer" but no one at the ground level implements it...all are just interested in billing..forget value creation
    HR and Admin behave like they are doing a favor by letting the employee work in USA
    Worst compensation in USA
    Benefits are bare minimum (as req by law) and lowest possible
    Works like Indian government, a lot of red tape for everything
    Kingdoms run by "General" Managers who do not add any value, they just walk around showing their influence and power

Don't just listen to what Vineet (CEO) says and clap. Implement it! "Invest" in value creation, forget 100% billing. Pay decent salaries and benefits that match the industry "in USA". Revamp on-site HR and Admin groups .. they don't care for the employees needs.

There was once potential....until most of the workforce was laid off or outsourced...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rutherford, NJ

I worked at HCL Technologies

Pros

The people. Your fellow employees that are dwindling in numbers.

Cons

No guidance or honesty at the senior management level. No clear plan for the future. There was always a feeling of the floor dropping from underneath you. Too many layoffs after being told there wouldn't be any. Overall sense of dread.

Resign your positions and allow new more enthusiastic people to run the company.

HCL Technologies Photos

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!