HCL Technologies Reviews

Updated April 27, 2015
3803 reviews filtered by

Plenty of opportunities, light on compensation and HR transparency.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work to be done, meaning a lot of opportunity is available to learn new skills.
    Accounts have service delivery managers and account managers onsite for easy availability.

Cons

Managers you are accountable to can become excessive - currently reporting directly to 5 people.
    No viable HR contact or representation actually based in the U.S. - almost all communication is over email with offshore HR who work daytime hours in India.
    Compensation is not merit or role based - it is pre-calculated based on your current wage.
    Account management is highly influenced by office politics and much of it is involving offshore resources with no transparency.
    Designations are not handed out according to job role (you may be doing Tier 3 work, while showing Tier 1 or 2 in their portal) but instead seem arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Have onshore HR representation, that is both high-ranking (enough to get into action) that work daytime U.S. hours.
    Build transparency about compensation, appraisal, and account status.
    If the company is going to continue to grow in the U.S., significant efforts should be made to bring some of the employee services onshore with the accounts.

What a GIGANTIC Mistake!

Former Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Cary, NC

I worked at HCL Technologies

Pros

Good Pay; the triangle is a very nice place to live

Cons

-LIES!!! These people Lie and Lie and Lie. Was hired for a support role with the understanding that I would be moved into a dev role in 1 year. That didn't happen. After about 3 years, I was asked to be the liaison between India developers and the developers on the client side. Basically, to help fix the issues. They wanted me to do it for the same pay I was getting to do support work and considered it a lateral move. A dice search revealed the same job posted on there for 27% more pay than they expected me to do the job for. When I asked if I could have that pay, I was told that I had to "Prove myself." Well, pretel, why would you suggest I do that role and have your boss call me and try to convince me to do it if I have to prove myself. I was also asked to be the team lead, which I really put a good effort into doing at first. But after about a month of that, it became clear that the manager had to have every ounce of control and didn't want me to be a team lead at all - just wanted to trick me into thinking I was getting some sort of advancement.

Pay Increases - over the course of 4 years, my pay only increased by 3.37%. This is despite numerous compliments from the client.

Review process - What a joke. Your manager will hardly give any effort into this at all. In fact, during the time you're supposed to be getting your review about how you're doing, don't be surprised to find your manager boasting about all of the things he supposedly did in the past. For example, During one of my reviews, I was told all about how he used to train hundreds of people for a large credit company. I was also told all about all of the things he designed. I'd say about 1/4 of the time was actually devoted to discussing my performance. That's probably by design, honestly, because my reviews were always poor and didn't remotely reflect performance. One year, I was so bored that I created an employee scheduling tool using twitter bootstrap and codeigniter to sharpen my skills. I had a prototype and asked the manager to sit with me to discuss the final details. He never made the time to do so, and then in my review (for my Data Warehouse Support Role) I was criticized and given a poor rating for not finishing the web application.

Blame - the manager was absolute rubbish, but found it necessary to blame others on the team for his poor management style. Here's a perfect example. I wrote a script for the client to validate some files on their servers, using an original idea from a former employee as my reference point. I then wanted to improve it, and make it output the information in an HTML format for readability and to make it more like a "report." I also wanted to add a return code for pass / fail so it could be automated. I did these things, and showed the manager who proceeded to tell me that I wrote it in the wrong language. I should have written it in java instead of perl (since he knows java), and that I should automate it. I asked him if we could set up a time to sit down, and he decided the following wednesday. I worked night shift, and he never established a time. I happened to work on Wednesday and waited until 9:30 that morning to discuss it with him. He didn't show. The following day in the team meeting, I was criticized for not meeting with him. Then in that meeting, he set up another meeting for the following Wednesday. I sent him a text message half an hour before the scheduled time to see if the meeting was still on, and he said no because he had to get ready for "management visit." Thanks or wasting my time!

Advancement - forget it. seriously, just forget it. You have to play their game to get any sort of advancement, unless you happen to get lucky and the client INSISTS that they will not pay HCL money for a given contract unless a person they've chosen does that role. This actually happened on my team, and the manager even went so far as to tell that person that they suggested other people for the role, but the client insisted it be my coworker. I won't state exactly what this means, but use your imagination.

-LIES!!!! I already said this but I feel the need to emphasize. I know someone who was told they would receive a given raise, and then received a raise of just 30% of the stated amount. What kind of COW DUNG is that? LIES LIES LIES!!!

- Project Ending, Bench - Supposedly, on bench, the manager is supposed to work with you to find work. Well, once the project ended, I asked 3 of the other 4 people who were moved to bench if the manager worked with them at all, or if anyone from the supposed "WPC" team helped them find a project. All 3 were a solid helk no. My assumption on this would be that their tax break for hiring locals ended, and now they can't ship people in from the country from which they originate fast enough.

HR called me 10 days before I was to be laid off and told me so. Told me that the manager worked very hard to find me a project but couldn't. What a load of garbage. I know this is a load of garbage because I interviewed for a project in Nashville, TN back in November. The interview went great and I answered all the questions. Then I never heard anything back. JUST TODAY someone called me about that SAME position that is STILL open. WHAT a joke!

- Celebration of holidays - one thing that absolutely disgusts me with this dump is their celebration of holidays. They will send you emails about Indian holidays, wishing you happy Diwali for example. They even had Diwali celebrations at the office. When it came time for Christmas and thanksgiving, they were "holiday parties." What kind of hogwash is that?

- I promise I am not racist whatsoever, but this company basically SPAMS your company email address with emails asking for your ideas. IDeateneurship they call it. Of all the time I worked at HCL, I saw ONE SINGLE non-Indian person listed in one of these emails, and in that case it was obvious that they simply offered the win to everyone who worked on it, including this ONE single non-Indian.

PAY STRUCTURE - if your pay is broken out into categories like a consultant (like base salary, location allowance, etc), they ONLY contribute to your 401K based on your BASE salary. If you leave the company, or are laid off, and have unused vacation time, they WILL NOT pay you the proper salary for that - just your base pay. In my case, my "base pay" was 43% less than my actual pay, despite being told in my initial negotiations that my salary would be "X." I had numerous questions about the breakout when I first saw the offer letter, and was told "oh don't worry. Don't worry." Well he really just didn't want to explain at the time how they'd later cheat anyone with such a pay structure. BEWARE!!! ABSOLUTELY use your vacation time BEFORE being laid off if your pay is like this, otherwise you WILL get shafted.

After having worked here, I feel like my skills stagnated and there was ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBLE opportunity for advancement. PLEASE DO NOT work here if you can avoid it. You will find that your happiness will be totally erased if you take a job here, unless you are part of the charade and joke that this company is.

CLIENTS - PLEASE DO NOT do business with this company. If you do, I urge you to not believe anything they tell you. Complete garbage dump!

Advice to Management

PLEASE GO OUT OF BUSINESS. Stop championing slogans such as "employees first customers second" when the reality is that you don't CARE about the employees who actually do the work AT ALL. Don't give idiots a project management position, and then promote them to senior project manager all in the same year, only to have them tell you that there's no money for a raise for you. DO NOT put in my OFFER LETTER how great you're doing, and send me spam emails talking about how great you're doing, and then give me a pathetic 3.7% raise in 4.5 years. The letter read something like 'Oh "HCLL" is doing so great. SO GREAT. Here's your $400 raise this year." Disgusting.

Find something else to do

Former Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time

Pros

If you have friends in VP level you get to travel a lot, you don't need to be good at what you do to move ahead

Cons

The company claims to be employee first and have work life balance, two big jokes. In first quarter of 2015 more people I know left than I have ever seen in any other company, including VPs. It's all about margins, processes are created to ensure someone in the approval processes reject employee expenses, or bonuses to save a few bucks.

5. Ph.D. Civil Engineering ( Surveying ) with 48 years experience contents researches, teaching, consulting.

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

Now, I live in USA ( permanent residence ), I have no job here. I like to work in my field.

Cons

New area, may be differs something

Advice to Management

Good equipments & instrumentation, trained surveying group, using maps & aerial photographs.

AVP

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time

Pros

Presents lot of opportunities to grow if you are passionate and can align with the highly political environment. There is a way to work through the ranks, and lot of people enjoy it

Cons

No rules, no ethics, no standard ways of working or delivering. Everything starts with paper solution and ends with the same, where most of the clients and employees are left with the thought what wrong did we do to get here. Sales is aggressive, Solutions do not exist, Delivery exists, but has no depth

Advice to Management

Think hard what has happened to the company. few years back HCL used to have a good name where hard core tech/engineers used to aspire to join. you are going down the drain faster than you deserve.

7. The experience of working with the company is reallly good.

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

Culture of the company is really good and training and perks are also good

Cons

Need to be more process centric and have best practices and lessons learnt

Advice to Management

Need to see if sales and delivery can be merged to have 1 team instead of 2 seperate teams

excellent

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

damn cool company to work for

Cons

lengthy time for assigning a project

Good place to settle.

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

Good work-life balance (depends upon the client). Mostly good.

Cons

Hikes are minimum. Not a great place for freshers.

10. Good Work Life balance

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

No work pressure and Happy Life

Cons

Less Learning and Less Growth

Avoid.

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

You get paid to work.
    The coworkers are cool people.

Cons

You sometimes don't get paid to work.
    You never receive pay for a promotion. If you do, you are lucky, or you had to wait over 90 days to see anything.
    Review cycle is a joke.
    This company builds on principles that work well in India, but do not work in the US (and in fact are illegal with US labor standards).
    A lot of their internal tools are poorly made, their internal support is horrible, everything is worded in horrible English.
    They make up their own words and spam your mailbox with their propaganda.
    HR does not exist (there are 2 people for 1200 employees).
    When someone who was overworked and underpaid and a critical resource to the company quits they replace their position with 3 people.

Advice to Management

Create more "enabling functions" for your employees. Pay them correctly when they are promoted. Stop stretching employees thin, hire more people. Promote more Americans to management positions to absorb American culture instead of trying to do things the Indian way in the US.