HCL Technologies

3.3
2,917 Reviews

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta
Anant Gupta

Pros
  • Provides the work life balance which is a major concern in todays corporate world (in 232 reviews)

• Work environment is more friendly & provides full opportunity to take lead in higher responsibilities (in 206 reviews)

Cons
  • Working timings needs to be streamlined to allow better work life balance (in 57 reviews)

• Only company words say "employee first" but no concern on employee whatsoever (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights

A Great Place to Work

Pros

1.Lots of Opportunities to excel and Extemporize our career.
    2.Friendly atmosphere and work life balance is great.
    3.Employees are applauded in different ways for their effort.(appreciation month,sopt awards etc)
    3.Lots of internal certifications and people having penchant for learning can benefit.
    4.They care lot about employees safety and night cabs are available starting as early as PM and there are no clause
    like lot other companies wherein they approve depending upon the designation etc.

Cons

Salary hike should be made in par with other MNCs.

Keep focussing on 'Employee First' policy as always ..

Flying high with HCL

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Woodbury, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Woodbury, CT

Pros

HCL as an Organisation gives opportunity to spread your wings and fly high, it allows an individual to decide the limits. An awesome place to work.

Cons

Nothing faced which can be mentioned or can be considered as a cons.

Many individuals working assumes what employee first is, management should try to share the share the meaning to the root level.

A challenging endeavor with some unexpected rewards.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

HCL is surprising in a way that it can see it's shortcomings and recognize where it's failures are and proactively takes careful measured steps to counter act these issues. HCL looks outward and inward with equal gusto and fervor seeking the best results it can get. This comes from driven management, people that care about people. Sounds cliche I know, perhaps it would sound more clear stated as management that care about business with people as their primary focus. That is the impression that is given, then all the rest seems to fall into place with budgets and margins and contracts and so forth.
    Next is another big plus is that HCL has to have one of the very best health care packages in the industry.
    As a Pro and Con, you can be as much as you are willing to to be in HCL. If you put in the effort and time, the two are key, then you can rise in the ranks or change roles as desired to new challenging roles to your hearts desire.
    HCL is for lack of a better term, visionary. They are able to see trends way in the future and start staging for these trends in the technology and business market place years in advance.
    If you invest in HCL they will invest in you. I am amazed in how much HCL has committed to me. (this is for those that may be just coming on board with HCL trying to decide) I was almost certain as a non-Indian that I would be replaced once I trained up others to do my own job. What I found is that I was not. I was valued as and individual and as a valued resource that gave into the organization. That said I was able to not only train others to do my role that allowed me to grow to do other more challenging thing and grow into new roles. So to you who may be on the edge, never be afraid of growth and sharing knowledge. Use your knowledge as a catalyst to grow into the next level.
    As others have stated, much depends on the engagement you are attached to and your RM can make a big difference in how pleased you are with your day to day life.
    There are many more that I will not elaborate on but rather simply list a few:

Value Creation and recognition and compensation of employee generated Ideas
    Recognition and compensation for any sales leads that generate business.
    Encouragement of creativity.
    Open door policy of management all the way up to the CEO
    Internal Training Available
    Vacation or time off allowed
    Interactions with Global Alliance Partners

There are more but this will get to long.

Cons

First off as most will mention, the pay. HCL is not a top dollar company and I like others can make more money by moving elsewhere. What HCL does to counteract this is to pay below market pay and grant incredible opportunities and benefits to it's people as the offset. Still it is a Con. I for one would like to see the pay reach more middle ground. I also see nothing wrong with compensating for work well done. I would like to see a better bonus system in place that can reward individuals for exceptional work completed.
    HCL is big and things do not move fast. Like most large companies they are not as nimble as they want or perhaps think they are. However they actively make the effort to respond.
    HCL has the same malady that many Visionaries face. They lack the ability to thoroughly execute on those visions over time (Special internal programs). They start them in wondrous fashion but lack the momentum to keep it up the levels of industry leading standards. These should grow and constantly adjust to the industry to be the industry leader in whatever area we are targeting. (**This does not refer to projects for clients where they execute on time and on budget as a rule.)

There are pockets in individuals within your organizations that are masters at execution. These individuals know how to operationally manage end to end life cycles. These are the same individuals that need to be empowered to run the programs that have fallen behind in versions that do not match the industry that we market.
    More aggressive bonus program to allow for larger bonuses to individuals. Nothing says thank you like a big check to go shopping with.
    Better live balance, I would suggest a required week off.
    Loose iTime. If you are going to track time, do it for real. track every minute of time, even if it's 100 hours a week. Know what the staff is doing so that you know through analytic's whether you need to staff up based on need. There is presently no method to do this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and challenging. Peace in mind, career oriented and friendly

Current Employee - Lead Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Peace in mind, nice work environment, Friendly colleagues and helping managers

Cons

Grouping in teams some times, Company policies are not too good

Make the policies better and employee friendly. Make them free to work in their style.

Freedom, but at the cost of some money

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Jose, CA

Pros

Respect, Recognition, Freedom and more open culture. There is one saying in HCL, you can put your name on a Brick, on a wall or on an entire building. As with every other organization in the world, here to you find different people, but the culture as a whole is very open and not very hierarchical as any typical Indian company. Though we are seeing some freedom is being taken off in the last couple of years, its better than what I hear from my friends in other similar companies.

Cons

India or in other countries, the compensation at HCL is always below the average market rate. This is always a pain.

Consider salary as one of the key retention tool, apart from other emotional things. And there is lot of scope to improve in the internal processes which takes more time than needed.

HCL - Great place to start

Current Employee - Technical Lead  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Best work culture, positive outlook, empowerment. Provide opportunity to be yourself and stretch your limits. Hard work & Smart work will be recognized.

Cons

salary is not competitive. Promotions are very slow. Identifying talents are not neutral always.

None

Great Clients!!

Pros

Good Consulting Experience, lot to learn

Cons

Poor Benefits, work culture not effective

If you have no other option their is HCL!

Current Employee - Service Desk  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Service Desk in Cary, NC

Pros

It takes alot to get let go at this company.

Cons

Managers in India do not listen to the US based managers or employee.
    Too many departments that don't talk to each other, so it makes it very hard to get any work done.
    Managers from India do not push back on clients that ask for the moon and stars, they promise everything then tell the employees to "Do the Needful!"
    **Glass ceiling for any US based employee wanting to move any higher than an E3**

* Pay employees what they are worth and don't expect they will stay because they already have a job.
    * Invest in more technology, you are a technology company you should have the latest and greatest.
    * Hold each team in a project accountable for the company's SLA.

Platform for Performers

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Excellent means to keep employees motivated MAD JAM/ LEAD GEN/O Infinity League etc... are HCL's brand mark for performers. Proud to be one of the HCL's O Infinity League contenders, Ideapreneurs.

Cons

Recommendation is to review the IT Sales Strategy.

Continue to empower your employees in the same way to extract amazing results.

Best Company to work

Current Employee - Senior Specialist  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Good Office culture.
    Good management.
    Good Trainings
    Good Onsite Opportunity

Cons

No Cons I ever seen till now.

Good Job!!!

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!