HCL Technologies Reviews

HCL Technologies CEO Anant Gupta
Anant Gupta

1. not good management

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

good for someone who knows politics

Cons

if you dont know politics you will die

2. Best in Show!

Former Contractor - Technical Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Contractor - Technical Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at HCL Technologies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

From the initial call all the way through my employment, HCL was the best I've seen. The benefits were amazing, the staff and management were outstanding, and I never once felt out of place.
    HCL management were always willing to listen. The pay was comparable to most positions in Tier 1 support, and their upward mobility hasn't been matched by anyone else I've worked for in over ten years.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons with HCL. The only thing I could have asked for was a little bit more advocacy on behalf of us, the employees, with the client we worked with.

Keep doing the outstanding work in San Antonio. You're doing an excellent job all the way around!

3. Less work load but less on enthusiasism

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

Less Work Load
    Brand Name
    Transparency , work ethic and policies

Cons

Not enthusiastic environment, stagnancy, redundant, co empoyees

Be energetic and innovative

5. one of the worst places to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Key Col Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Key Col Beach, FL

I worked at HCL Technologies

Pros

worst company to work for- glowing pro

Cons

worst place to work
    one of the worst places to work for the history of the humankind

yeah it's the worst place of the worst place of the planet

BI ANalyst

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work
    Good environment
    Nice management

Cons

less salaries, no hikes and no progression

7. Avoid if you have other options. "Employees First" slogan is only meant for sales reasons, no such culture exists

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at HCL Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get more responsibilities, if you get the right account and team you can work very independently. If you have “sure I’ll do it” attitude they will give you more, but don’t expect salaries to be adjusted accordingly.

Cons

Here are the cons that I faced:
    - Company’s culture not ready for western employees, I think this might be deliberate so less westerns will work to justify bringing employees from India that they force to work for lower salaries and unlimited amount of hours without OT pay, I felt sorry for them but I couldn't do anything about it.
    - Expense reimbursements feel like they are doing you a favor, what should be standard expense is considered “exception”, expense claims are approved by reporting manager when he has time, then it goes to his manager for approval who approves when he has time, expect anywhere between 1-4 weeks for reimbursement. I resigned over a month ago but still waiting for my last expense claim to be paid
    - If your work will involve travel expect to stay in $60-75/night hotels unless you get exceptional approval. Expect to travel indirect flights for additional 5 hours unless you get an exceptional approval for direct flights. Expect to get exceptional approval for lunch+dinner+breakfast because allowances are below western standards. If you claim travel allowance then you are expected to use public transport, or you will need exceptional approval for taxis.
    - No work life balance. During the bid phase the company decides on resourcing numbers, to undercut competition they deliberately plan on under-staffing hence reducing costs and winning the contract, during the delivery phase the numbers that were decided for staffing during the bid phase cannot be exceeded resulting in making exempt and non-exempt employees regularly work over 50-60 hours/week without extra pay. What’s even worse is that they don’t ask if you can work, they tell you that you will work, sometimes in less than 4 hour’s notice. The only time “work-life balance” comes up is during Christmas “shut down” period when employees are asked to take 1 week off using vacation if they have them and no pay if not, so the company saves money.
    - If you have any salary related financial disputes do no expect any of the Indian managers to support. Only western managers stand behind their employees, but not too many of them around and the few that are around are looking to leave. For example, if you have an initiative with a bonus KPI that management decided to postpone then expect to get 0% achievement instead of removing it, and no Indian manager will support your case. By Indian managers I mean as high as region vice presidents; they are too scared to rock the boat on behalf of their teams.
    - Almost all employees in General manager level and below that are with the company in the US are there because they have to be due to their visa status, or are looking for other jobs to leave. As soon as Indian employee gets his green card he leaves within 2 months for better pay and working conditions.
    - Key positions are in India, most holding them have never left their towns to have a broader understanding of the working/business culture in bigger cities not to mention western work/business culture.

It's a matter of time before the US labor department, and immigration finds out about your abusive labor practices involving B1 and H1 visa employees. I realize labor abuse is customary in India but it's illegal in the US even if due to their visa status the employees are too scared to say anything.

8. Plenty of opportunities, light on compensation and HR transparency.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of work to be done, meaning a lot of opportunity is available to learn new skills.
    Accounts have service delivery managers and account managers onsite for easy availability.

Cons

Managers you are accountable to can become excessive - currently reporting directly to 5 people.
    No viable HR contact or representation actually based in the U.S. - almost all communication is over email with offshore HR who work daytime hours in India.
    Compensation is not merit or role based - it is pre-calculated based on your current wage.
    Account management is highly influenced by office politics and much of it is involving offshore resources with no transparency.
    Designations are not handed out according to job role (you may be doing Tier 3 work, while showing Tier 1 or 2 in their portal) but instead seem arbitrary.

Have onshore HR representation, that is both high-ranking (enough to get into action) that work daytime U.S. hours.
    Build transparency about compensation, appraisal, and account status.
    If the company is going to continue to grow in the U.S., significant efforts should be made to bring some of the employee services onshore with the accounts.

9. HCL America on-site

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

Good work environment and balanced work-life

Cons

They are service providers, they focus more on providing timely services rather than quality services. They do not have a goal-oriented approach when dealing with client projects.

When you deal with clients it is really important to understand their quality needs, their work flows and work procedures. Don't just focus on providing resources and getting things done.

10. Land of limited Opportunity

I have been working at HCL Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Visibility to the way numerous companies work

Cons

Most management US opportunities above first line are given to Indian residents as a "reward" or retention.

You've got experienced management talent in the US - use it to grow your US business beyond the low cost provider!

11. HCL america

Current Employee - Lead Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer

I have been working at HCL Technologies

Pros

its very good work environment and job security. it has client in all over usa

Cons

Getting the promotions is the challenging

concentrate gradual hike for employeee