HCR ManorCare

HCR ManorCare Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

HCR ManorCare President and CEO Paul A Ormond

Paul A Ormond

Pros
  • Decent pay for someone with the minimum qualifications(in 5 reviews)

• They had good benefits and a friendly enviroment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No concern from upper management towards lower staff(in 8 reviews)

• No one cares about the emotional and verbal abuse that happens on a regular basis(in 6 reviews)

Great team work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsEveryone works together and helps each other with support.

ConsManagement doesn't spend time with the underdog. Worried about their bottom line and numbers,not their staff. No support! Hire many unexperienced staff and then when things are tough, they want only skilled experienced staff, leaving current staff pressed to pick up for holes.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of telling your staff "It's what the patient needs" start telling them "it's not in the budget" We're tired of hearing it

complacency over competency

Prossomewhat flexible schedule, good relationship with my direct supervisor, any paycheck is better than no paycheck

ConsProfit over people - both staff and residents suffer for the bottom line. Poor training, poor pay. Company likes to tout the ablity of staff to transfer to other locations ( 500 in the US ) but then seeks to reset pay rates back to entry level no matter how many years a person has been with the company. Benefits are expensive and not very inclusive. Company rolled back pay raises 3 mos effectively taking $ directly out of staff pockets, yet wastes $ everyday on frivilous and insulting " incentives and rewards " Pins, banners, buttons and coupons to choose cheap crappy rewards online. By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Management does nothing to improve conditions, rather they use info / complaints as a means of retaliation towards staff who speak out. This is a " see no evil / hear no evil / speak no evil " management style which seems to be company approved. Sheep leading sheep

Advice to Senior ManagementFacility management is under pressure from corporate to keep census up, costs down. No concern for the extremely high turnover rate, the lack of quality employees and poor training.

profits before parients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnone, i wouldnt recommend this faciliy or company to any one to work in or to for rehabilitation or LTC placement

ConsPoor quality of care, poor staff to patient ratio 3/60 and most times 2/60 on a skilled rehab unit, nursing license is on the line every time you clock in.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Patients are living people that should be taken care of, that requires adequate staffing over corporate profit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Understaffed

CNA (Current Employee) South Pottstown, PA

ProsMost of aides and staff are hard working. Wil lhire with no experience.

ConsExtraemly understaffed. Pay is low and alot of residents are violent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff more.

Nursing

Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Long-Term Care (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsE-MAR, E-TAR, and medical charting system are great.

ConsNo team work, under staffed. No Open door policy, Management is not really support staffs. Workers treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementListening employee input, and working together as team. Hire more staffs as needed.

Exhausting

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) Lebanon, PA

ProsEmployment to pay the bills. Can purchase health insurance, life insurance etc through them. CPR training paid by company. Can order the required colored uniforms less expensively through them

ConsChronically understaffed.Rapid turnover of staff. Chronically admitting high acuity patients and behavioral patients that they are not staffed to give proper care to. Chronically unable to find supplies required to do job properly. Leave orientates on floors alone to fill in gaps frequently. Do not properly train staff. Cannot request vacation between Thanksgiving and New Years. Rare to get approved for requested vacations. Find you own coverage if you want vacation on the weekends. No team work. No concern from upper management towards lower staff.Voiced concerns are met with "Get used to it" or "If I hear anyone say we are understaffed they will taken out back and beaten".

Advice to Senior ManagementMandate your RN supervisors to work the floors at least once a month so they have any idea what is required to make it function well. Mandate your 6-10 day shift RN supers to stay over to fill in gaps in the schedule or call offs instead of forcing shifts to work short, forcing the lone second or third shift RN super to work a floor and take care of the whole house or leave untrained, unsafe orientates alone on floors, especially nurse's. The patient's deserve at least that much from you.

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a student this was a great internship opportunity that prepared me for my future.

ConsThere were quite a bit of changes going on with the kitchen when I was there. If patient's are not pleased with their food then it leads to a rough time.

Pretty good. Has negatives but overall good.

Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) Laureldale, PA

ProsOffered tuition assistance for full time employee's, offers all the usual benefits, and hires plenty of new grads!

ConsNot everyone is well experience due to hiring mostly new grads. They do not let you know about the tuition assistance program in too much detail just quick mention it. And insurance benefits are not really a discount as you would expect them to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage advancement in education to all employees! Even if this results in a commitment of two years.

Good Crew

Maintenance Director (Current Employee) Dunedin, FL

ProsDept heads work well together

Consstressfull, on call, dealing with unrealistic family memebers

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Horrible place for your family member

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCaring staff that is bulldozed by management at every turn.

ConsConstantly work "short"....people working 16 hours shifts to help cover are short tempered and rude to residents...call lights ignored

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all upper management and start over

Worked for HCR ManorCare? Contribute to the Community!