HCR ManorCare Reviews

Reset
2.9
HCR ManorCare President and CEO Paul A Ormond
Paul A Ormond

Pros
  • Decent pay for someone with the minimum qualifications (in 6 reviews)

• Great teamwork among field staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No concern from upper management towards lower staff (in 16 reviews)

• No one cares about the emotional and verbal abuse that happens on a regular basis (in 7 reviews)

1. Food Service Director

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comparable pay as long as you get it coming in.

Cons

Geared towards nursing not Dietary. No chance for advancement no matter how many years u put in.

CNA

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aide
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Aide

Pros

The staff are truly caring people, that seem to care a lot about the services that they provide. The facility is also close to my home (within 10 miles). The scheduler is pretty understanding about needing time off either for vacation or for personal reasons. They are usually able to accomadate scheduling needs.

Cons

Rather than looking at the acuity of the patients that we have at our facility, the staffing is determined by the cencus of the building. It is not possible to meet the needs of all of our residents when we do not have enough nurses and cnas to care for them. Ultimately, the patient suffers. It is impossible to move up in the company as MC no longer offers any kind of tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Instead of basing everything on cencus, look at the needs of the residents and staff. Maybe the administration should help more instead of dictate at the nurses station about what is or isn't being done. I am pretty sure that the administration is also supposed to answer call bells instead of walking past them, down the hallway to find a cna to deal with it. Please stop looking down on your nurses and especially your cnas, without them you would not have a job OR receive your nice fat bonus checks at the end of the year for coming in under budget so that you can go on 4 and 5 vacations a year. In addition, whenever the corporate people come to our building, nobody introduces their selves and if you do speak to them they treat you as if you are irrelevant.

3. Payroll

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at HCR ManorCare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many options to learn a new job

Cons

They do not pay the going rate

5. COTA/L

Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapy Assistant in Tampa, FL

Pros

HCR Manorcare is one of the industries best health care providers. There are facilities all over the country providing excellent services to our communities.

Cons

I have enjoyed being employed with this organization I have no complaints to share.

Advice to Management

Showing appreciate to employees thru furthering education is essential to continue providing the industries top notch health care services.

6. Director Operation

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Variety of work and a lot of experience in different work settings

Cons

80% travel, with a lot of overnights

Advice to Management

Be an active listener to the field

7. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Supervisor in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Supervisor in Akron, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for new RN's Great schedules - Master schedule. Every other weekend and every other holiday after 90 day evaluation Great benefits - medical, vision, dental. 4 Tiers available plus more options

Cons

Only match 50% of first 2% put into 401k. High turnover rate for Aides All white Nursing scrubs

Advice to Management

None

Former Employee - Therapist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Therapist in Tampa, FL

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire great staff, try to stay abreast of changes in healthcare, stay in compliance, have large market share, look for additional ways/programs to increase revenue/survival

Cons

Very top -down driven in that new programs are mandated without any input or feedback from the front-line people who will be following them (and very little training or support once implemented). Frequently changing policies with lack of clear communications/direction. "Management by Fear" ie. via blame, write-ups, punishment, finger-pointing vs. educating, leads to staff wanting to sweep things under the carpet or not speak up. High stress level environment....thick skin needed....certainly not an environment for a new grad. Unrealistic expectations for productivity when considered that we are often expected given additional (and unexpected) non-patient. care duties, unclear directions, and have to search for missing parts for brioken down equipment or to clean equipment prior to using with a patient. There were times I had to search throughout the entire facility to find for example, a suitable wheelchair and matching legreats and clean them for a post-surgical ortho patient.

Advice to Management

Please be clear in your communications and also include employees in the direction the company is going in. The buy-in will be greater and we can be on the same page. Please provide the resources and support to implement the new programs.. Provide staff with non-punitive leaning and accountability and you will develop the excellent staff you have while weeding out the occasional misfits.

9. Open minded management

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaders always willing to listen. Great Residents and a consistent census. On the bus line.

Cons

No PRN CENAs, just PRN Nurses.

Advice to Management

Always follow through so employees know that their ideas and concerns are heard.

10. Quality Focused Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Caring, quality focused organization. Wonderful systems in place to ensure that patients and families are well taken care of. Therapy outcomes reflect that residents surpass their goals and discharge to their next level of care.

Cons

At times the for profit status of HCR Manorcare sets up the competition and regulatory bodies to report that we are in it for the money. That bad press carries over. This is far from the truth. I have never worked for a more patient focused organization- at all levels.

11. MDS Coordinator

Former Employee - MDS Coordinator in Hinsdale, IL
    Former Employee - MDS Coordinator in Hinsdale, IL

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manorcare is very flexible when family issues arise. Very supportive environment.

Cons

Pay is lower than other facilities. I really can't think of any other cons.

RSS Feed </> Embed