HCR ManorCare Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
328 reviews filtered by

1. Rather not say

I worked at HCR ManorCare

Pros

A handful of special coworkers.... that's as good as it gets! It's really a shame because this place had potential but chose profit over quality.

Cons

Despite the attempts of a few, residents are treated like medicare paychecks instead of human beings. Some employees are expected to be unrealistically productive receiving no time for breaks while upper management spends their day outside smoking and gossiping like a bunch of hens. Facility understocked and filthy....a petri dish of germs.

Remember how you would want yourself or family treated in a facility. This is suppose to be a place of healing not a factory. Don't mislead your dedicated employees with promises unkept and start sharing in actual workload vesus sitting around talking.

2. I suppose it's like most SNFs; you're understaffed, overworked, and under trained.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, especially for a SNF. Some co-workers were very supportive.

Cons

"Throw you to the wolves" training program.

Hire a real nurse educator.

3. Rehab Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Great patients who are generally appropriate for this level of rehab. Nice co-workers in rehab and other departments. Competitive pay.

Cons

Rehab professionals work very hard in a disorganized/confusing system while being micromanaged and bullied by management. Understaffed with high rehab staff turnover rate. Rehab staff are routinely scheduled to work through paid breaks. Building is currently being renovated and projected end result appears to be unfavorable for some aspects of resident life and the rehab department.

Treat your rehab professionals like professionals with respect, trust, communication and autonomy.

Overworked. Underpaid.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Hardworking RN's and CNA's. The only pro about this place is the nursing staff. These woman have hearts of gold.

Cons

ManorCare does NOT value their employees. They expect CNA's as well as RN's to work double after double because of "staffing challenges." They do NOTHING to show their appreciation for the hard work and dedication you put in. I have worked up to 125 hours a pay period to help out my facility because we have been extremely short. Has management thanked me? Offered me a day off of my choosing after staying over countless days in a row? Apsolutely not! My thanks was a denied vacation request that I had submitted 6 months prior. I received my denial notice 1 month before the start of my vacation. That really opened my eyes to the company I was pouring my heart and soul into. The countless hours I put into that place has gone unnoticed and unappreciated by management. Walking away from that company and losing my income was a hard choice but I would rather do that then continue to work for nothing.

6. Good for getting experience as first Cna job

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Its a reputable company. Staff are nice and helpful. You get experience.

Cons

Crappy pay - $12.35 an hour. Its a very very busy facility. You can get up to 11patients when there are call offs. A lot of employee turnover

7. HCR Manorcare Good company

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

not as intense as some

Cons

lower pay and benefits are bad

Was great I'd you enjoyed 60 hr work weeks with the gestapo as your DON

Current Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor in East Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - RN Nurse Supervisor in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

Co worker, geriatric population, teamwork to provide care as management is not going to assist

Cons

Zero appreciation. Unrealistic expectations. No cares for the persons running the building

Don are nurses too and should share floor responsibilities when in staffing crunches....and utilize MDS nurses as well. If they aren't handicap they should move from their computers every once in a while

Hospice Team Coordinator

Former Employee - Hospice Team Coordinator in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Hospice Team Coordinator in Allentown, PA

I worked at HCR ManorCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management was supportive and very understanding

Cons

Work was slow and there were many bullying situations that were never dealt with.

Work more on creating a positive work environment

Good company to work for...

Current Employee - Manager in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

If you are motivated, self starter that can add value to the company through operations, marketing or clinical skills.

Cons

Even though, woman represent a strong percentage of the work force, the Director level and higher are majority men that produce 1/2 as much as a female worker but get rewarded for bragging about their accomplishments.

Point of diminishing returns (TICE VALLEY BLVD)

Current Employee - N/A in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at HCR ManorCare

Pros

The paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

Management discourages reaching out to corporate as to keep all problems issues in house away from their supervisors. Annual raises pushed back 3 months from your anniversary date. Annual raises under the rate of inflation, 0% match on 401k. Not enough staffing. Forced overtime without pay for PM nurses. EX: PM shift from 3-11:30, when asked to do a double, there is no double pay unless you work the next day. Reasoning: TImeclock rolls over to a new day at 12:00 A.M. Reasoning? You worked 16 hours straight, but it's split between two days. HR and Management believe this is fair.

Bottom Line: Adminstrator and HR does not look out for their own employees.