HCRI Reviews

Reset
2.2
Spencer Goldsmith

1. Okay, Bad Upper Management

I worked at HCRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some people who are nice and that I still keep in touch with. I never really did overtime too much which was nice for a work/life balance.

Cons

There are some unpleasant people who are suck ups and then there are others who do not even seem to know the basics of clinical research. Some people are more into their ego than actually getting the job done. The director of my department was mentally unstable and would have random outburts over small things like the fax line or if you try to tell her that you feel overworked. She will then yell at you for telling her and then storm off saying that you ruined her weekend. It's the kind of place that you just keep things to your self and pretend to be happy and have no problems or stress in order to fly under the radar and not deal with crazy outburts. People got promoted not because of skills but rather because they liked your personality rather than having any experience or skills. In other words, sucking up to upper management will get you far.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are mentally stable and have manners

2. Unhealthy work environment

I worked at HCRI full-time

Pros

OK pay. Good benefits. Good location. Harvard name.

Cons

Management lacks good leadership skills and has no interest in promoting communication among departments. No concept on how to run a business effectively. Employee morale is low with busy schedules but no room to grow. No opportunities for career advancement. Bureaucracy rules here.

Advice to Management

Respect all employees, not just the ones at the top. Improve the workplace by bringing and using advanced technologies to simplify the way things get done.

3. All you get is Harvard in name, they don't live up to the name.

I have been working at HCRI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick to hire. PTO package isn't bad. Location is on a main road in the city accessible to the MBTA.

Cons

Pays low compared to other companies. Company is extremely segmented with most departments unable to stand the sight of each other. Lots of people straight out of college so the immaturity factor is very high. Management lacks decent communication skills. Lots of micromanagement in certain departments where if you don't worship the ground your manager walks on, you're outcast. Zero work life balance unless you brown nose.

Advice to Management

Make a major change in leadership. have managers take communication classes. Some managers lack class and decorum. Fire those people even in the name of possibly losing some sponsors.

A disgrace to the Clinical Research community

I have been working at HCRI

Pros

Not one thing. If the lies they told during the interview were true, then there would be more Pros, but no - this company is terrible.

Cons

Poor leadership, terrible support system, project management staff is laughable, very poor client support, does not understand the drug lifecycle and this is apparent with the many dissatisfied customers

Advice to Management

sell company and all active studies to a CRO that knows what they're doing

Solid staff - Incompetent Leadership

I worked at HCRI full-time

Pros

Reasonably good benefits; Some very talented staff; Good location; depending on the department you work for, working arrangements can be flexible; Interesting clinical trials to work on.

Cons

Non existent physician oversight of the trials; Poor quality of data management and biostats; Senior leadership is incompetent with little attention paid to attrition or professional development of staff; poor morale. Senior leadership should be replaced with individuals interested in growing HCRI not promoting themselves year in and year out.

Advice to Management

HCRI needs to bring in some new leaders. The company employees practically beg for fresh ideas and improved communication, but those calls are ignored and marginalized. The current departmental silo structure does not work.

HCRI is a great place to work

I worked at HCRI full-time

Pros

HCRI is a great place to work for many reasons. Not only are the employees extremely hard-working, but they are friendly and overall pretty positive. The benefits are great, and the training for new employees is very thorough (at least, it was in my case). HCRI isn't a stressful place to work at most times, and the managers are pretty flexible about schedules and taking time off if necessary. There is a lot of room for growth, and HCRI encourages internal hiring. I think this company has big plans for the future, and I expect them to continue to be a competetor in this field in the long run.

Cons

Every manager and dept operates in their own way, so what I experienced may not be the case for every dept - but I can't imagine it's very different.

Worst Company to work for.

I worked at HCRI

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this company is that they have hard working employees.

Cons

Managers in this company is very incompetent. Their methods in management is so prehistoric that I'm wasting 70 percent of my time doing pointless paper work that can be easily done by creating a workflow to automate it. Oh and they are more focused on processing trials as fast as they can instead of doing any quality check at all.

Advice to Management

Learn how to use a computer!!

9. Great company to work for

I have been working at HCRI full-time

Pros

Great flexibility with work/life. Intelligent and hardworking people.

Cons

There are some depts that function better than others as well as some managers who manage better than others but I think you will find that in any company.

Advice to Management

As the company is shifting focus and growing into new areas it may be time to re-examine what worked before may not work in the future.

Too much management

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at HCRI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are intelligent, capable people.

Cons

Too much hierarchy and management, no opportunities for growth.

Horrible management

I have been working at HCRI full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule/ability to work remotely (for some not all), renovated office space, some hardworking and intelligent employees

Cons

Limited to no opportunities for growth- blatant favoritism, bullying by upper management, sexism- depts which won't hire men, lack of cohesion- depts/managers don't take responsibility and throw blame at each other, prefer quantity over quality of work

Advice to Management

Some managers are wildly inappropriate, weed out the bad ones to increase moral. Listen to and communicate with employees

RSS Feed </> Embed