HCSC Reviews

Reset
5.0
HCSC President and CEO Pat Hemingway Hall
Pat Hemingway Hall

Pros
  • Work/life balance is encouraged (in 27 reviews)

• Stable company with good benefits including 401k plan & pension (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was not given a high enough priority but could be limited to my group (in 9 reviews)

• senior/Middle management decision making is poor (in 7 reviews)

1. Excellent company to work for.

Pros

The company provides great access to learning opportunities and promotes learning and job growth. HCSC embraces diversity and a collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

No real Cons. Because HCSC is such a big company, communication across teams can be very challenging.

2. 2015- Huge IT Transformation in progress

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

2015 is a great time to be at HCSC as IT is undergoing a transformation under a new CIO, moving away from traditional old-school ways of doing things and towards newer and better -- agile, cloud, big data, mobile, open source, IT-as-a-service, etc, will all have a larger role. Great opportunity for those who manage their career and can position themselves for the next big thing. The work environment is pleasant, hours are flexible, the HQ building is well-located and includes a subsidized gym & health-conscious cafeteria.

Cons

As the IT reorganization happens, some jobs have been eliminated, especially in middle-management, with probably more to come. Finding yourself at the wrong end of the re-org can be a real bummer. One needs to be constantly vigilant of their workload and manage it to avoid getting buried under it. Management talent and personalities appear to vary quite a bit from one department to another, even within IT.

Advice to Management

The IT re-org was overdue and will help the company remain competitive. Some parts of the business strategy and operations should go through a similar shake-up.

3. Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

Work/ Life Balance is very much encouraged

Cons

At this time there are no cons

5. Great place to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HCSC full-time

Pros

This is an excellent company to work for. I'm actually quite surprised how many bad reviews there are. People have talked about the company being not innovative, but it really is. I have specifically worked in data management, and we are moving our data strategies toward 'big data' and it's really exciting to be part of it. I was partially hired because of my 'always challenge the status quo' attitude and our new CIO has the same mindset. He's really interested in making things better for our members, and making everything more efficient for our company. This does involve outsourcing, which is scaring people, but it's neccesary if we want to deliver the absolutely best technology for our members (and even non-members). We are already having start-ups gearing up to outcompete us. Fortunately our CIO, sees this and is doing whatever he can to keep us relevant and competitive. If you join us in IT, you will probably enjoy our culture.

Cons

Due to the size, it sometimes takes weeks to gain access to necessary resources delaying tasks. Non-IT parts of the company seem to have much less innovative culture compared to us.

Advice to Management

Pay CLOSE attention to the highly valued start-ups starting to take up market share. Look at other tech company cultures and look at how they drive passion. Keep pushing our mission that our existence is first and foremost to deliver the best possible healthcare and experience for our members (we don't have shareholders).

6. Great place to work!

I worked at HCSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative Organization, they listen to their employees, felt that I was appreciated and my input and ideas were valued.

Cons

HQ is almost 2 miles from Union Station - made for a longer commute

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

7. Quality Assurance Analyst

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I worked at HCSC as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great managers and supervisors that are not type A personalities!

Cons

Sometimes they are not as organized as they could be.

Advice to Management

Better organization.

8. Systems Analyst

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits; flexible work-from-home policy. Management treats you with respect and does not micro-manage. Trusts you as a professional and allows you to do your job.

Cons

No cons; great place to work.

Advice to Management

No advice at this time.

9. Good Company to work for

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Generally flexible, bonus is good

Cons

Not much career growth potential - there is currently a lot of change going on in ITG so maybe that will change.

10. Happy at HCSC

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Had a long career here. Couldn't get that at other companies.

Cons

No more than any other job

11. If you actively manage your career, this is a great place to work with a lot of opportunity.

Current Employee - ITG in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - ITG in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, pension, and work/life balance. Plenty of opportunities for advancement *if* you work in the right area. Awesome exposure to new technologies in IT and if you see potential, you can generally go after it to try and create value. It would take an exceptional opportunity to get me to leave HCSC.

Cons

As with any large organization, you have great, good, average, and bad areas. So much depends on who you report to and how good your management chain is. One person can be in "purgatory" and the next can be living the dream.

RSS Feed </> Embed