HCSC

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

HCSC President and CEO Pat Hemingway Hall
Pat Hemingway Hall

Pros
  • The work-life balance depends on the manager but in most cases employees have options to work from home (in 27 reviews)

• Stable company with good benefits including 401k plan & pension (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance was not given a high enough priority but could be limited to my group (in 9 reviews)

• Too many middle management contributing minimal values to get the company move forward (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Highly professional while showing a personal interest in employees needs.

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Integrity and diversity and growth for career opportunities'.

Cons

Management being open minded to new ideas, providing constructive feedback for career growth.

Never assume, always research and handle situations as you would want it to be handle if it was you, utilizing company policies.

A solid 'good", interesting work, good people

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good work like balance, interesting work.

Cons

No career development or training, conservative, toe-the-line culture, corporate values come across as staged.

Happy and Satisfied

Current Employee - Financial Services Division in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, helpful co-workers and managers and a great work-life balance. The only time I hate coming to work is Monday morning, but that is to be expected. The department an employee works in makes all the difference, however.

Cons

Certain individuals in leadership hold onto valuable pieces of information even when their employees need this data. The company tends to be reactive instead of proactive. Instead of leading from the front, we try to make decisions based on what others have done. The cafeteria in Chicago is vastly better than the Richardson location. Leadership in Richardson would prefer to run the food operation themselves, so the quality is cheaper with similarly priced food.

Stop sitting on $10 billion in assets and spread some of the wealth to policyholders and employees besides top executives. Embrace the youth as they represent the future.

IT leadership useless

Current Employee - My Title IS to Long and Does Make Sense in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - My Title IS to Long and Does Make Sense in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pension plan. My manager has finally gotten a clue and has backed off and let's talented people make sound decisions.

Cons

I work in ITG and I am ashamed to admit it. The technology is outdated and most of the IT staff do not embrace change. Don't even think about being an innovator, that scares people around here. ITG DOES NOT LISTEN TO ITS CUSTOMERS. THEY ARE TOO SMART TO LISTEN. The only other thing that I am more ashamed of that I am employee of HCSC. I will leave as soon as Statefarm opens next door. Open positions are only are already filled so don't apply for one. Yes I was lied to by a director. Told to apply when I knew the position was already filled.

Why bother truth scares you and I doubt any of you ever come to this site to learn anything. This is for the benefit of those that are considering HCSC.

Stable environment

Former Employee - Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, stable company and predictable bonus

Cons

Very little room for new ideas or processes, takes years to get promoted

Not a bad place to worlk

Current Employee - Applications Architect Consultant in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Architect Consultant in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, Bonus and pension plan. Not too demanding on time and good work life balance.

Cons

Career growth is arbitrary , more non technical staff in IT resulting in a small group of employees doing most of the work.

Less talking and more doing.

Treadmill

Former Employee - Business IT in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Business IT in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New building is nice and it has been more productive to bring business and IT into the same space. Co-workers are generally very nice and supportive, but I think this mostly stems from the misery loves company theory.

Cons

As stated by others, employee reviews are an absolute joke. Management will tell you that they are not allowed to reflect your true rating if it is good (now if it is bad that is entirely different). The goal is to make all reviews as equal as possible due to how raises and even promotions are done. There is a tremendous amount of nepotism that occurs within this organization and it shocks me that indivduals get away with it. You can go from being a "star" player for 5 straight years to being one minute from a box and walk out the door based on who your mangement is and because this can change on a whim, you are at the mercy of varied attitudes and personalities that teh employee has to adjust to, not management.

Provide a medium for true and accurate 180 degreee reviews between employee and management. Provide better management training to supervisors and above.

Grapes of Wrath

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Richardson, TX

I worked at HCSC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very few. Optimism conveyed from initial position entry rapidly dissipates once the status of management methodology and project management non-philosophy become evident.

Cons

Successful completion of your work / project as designed and approved will go unnoticed, except by management at year-end, who will then claim that the effort was 'driven' to completion by themselves in order to put another check-mark on their respective performance review. In reality, very few in management have any technical background related to your project, and could care less about your concerns unless a complication arises which could even remotely impact the project schedule.
    And your respective performance review ? Forget it, unless you need a good laugh. They are all simply another management tool to inhibit raises, designed and rated to give everyone an 'average' grade so that no one stands out.

Get some. Current suits in place could care less about management performance and efficiencies; only concerned with promoting apprehension within ranks while expousing ridiculous management policy 'adjustments'. Really only concerned with padding their year-end bonuses.

If you want to be treated like a kid and micro managed, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facility
    People are somewhat nice in front of your face.
    Good Benefits
    Work 40 hours, Go Home, Get Paid Every Two Weeks. Do it again.

Cons

Heavy Micromanagement by non managers.
    It appears a lot of the full time staff/people are lazy, takes two and half hour lunches and breaks to do god knows what?
    Managers will let non-managers supervise other staff for no reason. This is completely disrespectful to others in the department.
    Too much favoritism goes on.
    Can't work remotely even though they tell people their culture has a flexible work environment.
    No Career track. Lots of people have worked at HCSC for 5-10 years without a promotion.
    "Good Old GIRL" network is in place in the Richardson location. If you are a white girl, this is the place for you. White guys and minorities stay away.
    Contractors do all the work while the full time staff take lots of 2.-3 hours breaks.
    If you are contractor, you are treated like abused step child most of the time.
    Management has no direction.
    Contact by your manager is minimal if you work in Richardson and your manager works in Chicago. Maybe this is a good thing?
    Management care less about employees
    No room to advance your skill set!
    No training!
    Few growth opportunities!
    Very, very political environment unless your are a while girl.
    Extremely slow to act and always an excuse
    Questionable ethics and morals in middle mgmt
    Technologically WAY behind in HW, SF, Methodology
    The full time talent is questionable at best. Lots of dumb people work at HCSC.
    Outdated and inflexible IT systems.
    Lots of unhealthy, fat and medically dependent people work at HCSC. You think the company would hire healthy people and get ride of these chronically unhealthy people.
    Managers and full time employees will take credit for other people's work and will throw you under the bus faster that and Indy are driver.

Clean house and get rid of the dead wood like yourselves.
    Too many legacy employees are still around running the show.
    Too many dumb people are trying to be the boss when they are just suppose to do their own work.
    For a 34 Billion company, please share the wealth!
    You are not that talented, please get off your high horse!

Strong out of the blocks....weezing at the finish.

Current Employee - Financial Services Division in Richardson, TX

I have been working at HCSC

Pros

Great benefits
    First level managers are very understanding
    Reasonable pay for new & experienced employees
    Plenty of available PTO days
    Family atomsphere (somewhat)

Cons

Virtually every man/woman in a leadership position in Texas comes from Illinois
    Longevity carries too much weight
    Butt-kissing seems to get you further than simply being the most effective worker

I work in an area where there are three separate departments on the same floor. One area is extremely diverse and almost completely female. The second area has a good mixture of men/women of various races and the third area is comprised of mostly males of the majority race (this is the case in both Chicago and Richardson). The problem is that the people in leadership positions are mostly drawn from the last department. Walking through the HCSC building, you see tremendous diversity but the top of the organizational chart doesn't reflect that....though I will say that the company has far more females in top positions than most other companies (great for us ladies).

The worker bees (most of them) and the lower level, front-line managers are excellent. The problem is that there are far too many layers and bureaucratic red-tape.

HCSC needs to begin promoting Texas talent to managerial positions. There are far too many high quality natives for us not to have some higher level leadership grown close to home.