HCSS

3.7

Mike Rydin

Great employer

I have been working at HCSS

Pros

Friendly people, great benefits, good product

Cons

Slightly low pay for software developer

Many opportunities for developers to advance their skill sets

Current Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time

Pros

-Little red tape - if you're enthusiastic about working with or learning a technology - be it .NET, iOS, Android, SQL - you will get the opportunity.
    -Growing company - mobile is really taking off in this company, and opportunities to develop on iOS and Android are aplenty, as well as opportunities to take lead on projects.
    -Work from home days
    -Wellness programs - personal trainers come a few times a week to train employees in HCSS's gym, allowance to spend on wellness activities outside of work
    -Great people - Colleagues are generally friendly and laid back. It's a low-stress atmosphere, no micromanagement.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

An excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yearly reviews and raises based on performance, as well as a generous bonus every December 15th
    100% healthcare for you, 50% for your spouse and 100% for your children after 3 years
    Flexible hours
    Work from home once every two weeks
    Three weeks of paid vacation starting
    On-site gym, fitness classes, track, basketball court and locker-rooms
    Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and lunch every Friday.
    Full financial transparency with full company meetings on how we are doing each month.
    Partial ownership: gain private stocks in the company the longer you work here
    Relaxed atmosphere with agile development processes, an open-door executive and managerial policy and the ability to define your role in the company.
    Full support from senior-level employees.

Cons

The owner of the company can be a bit blunt and firm in his feelings of direction for the products. Understandable, considering he built the product from the ground up, but it can still feel limiting for some.

None. Out of all the companies I have worked for, this one is by far one of the best.

Wonderful people but questionable management.

I have been working at HCSS

Pros

Good possibilities to learn essential skills; excellent wellness programs; people are friendly and helpful; ideas and initiatives are heard and welcomed.

Cons

Unclear scope of work, constantly changing plans and priorities; the goals are declared but not pursued; people are moved from team to team each quarter.

More commitment to the declared goals; strengthen mid-level management.

great mid size company to work for

I worked at HCSS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great co workers great wellness culture

Cons

Career growth opportunities was sort of limited

It is NOT what it seems

I have been working at HCSS

Pros

Perks like basketball court, track, personal trainers, gym, free food and drinks. They have a niche product that is the dominant leader in the industry. They also have a talented programming side of the company.

Cons

Do you ever get that strange feeling that something just isn't quite right? Well...welcome to HCSS. Underneath the endless perks is an underbelly of internal politics, intimidation, and backstabbing worse than a daytime soap opera. You can't throw a ping pong table and a gym in a building and call it your "culture." Also, whatever book is the hot talk of the day becomes a new policy and direction for the company. Did I mention the owner has half-a-step on a banana peel? One can short of a six pack, if you get my drift. Don't believe the hype people, just remember, you were warned.

There isn't anything you can do, except maybe provide a free on-site psychiatrist. Wait! That's a good "idea," make sure you log that one pal.

Great idea, poor execution

Former Employee - Programmer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Houston, TX

I worked at HCSS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facilities are great, hours are reasonable, and direct contact with customers and trainers makes it easy to learn and understand the business problems.

Cons

Management. The company has seen a lot of success and as a result Mike (the president) has become convinced that he is the expert in everything. He fosters an environment of cronyism, overrides or ignores major customer concerns, and refuses to listen to competent employees. As a result, the best managers and engineers don't stay long. Due to a constant influx of trainees, lack of wider industry experience, and incompetent micromanagement, programmers spend the majority of their time propping up 20-year-old hacks.

Second, for programmers, work experience here counts for nothing on a resume. Employers don't care about VDF experience, and development team processes are very different from industry standards.

Learn to trust your employees. Your job is to cast vision and equip them to reach it. Executives should not be involved in code review, feature design, prioritization, or other day-to-day activities. If you can't trust your employees, replace them. Then, get out of their way so they can succeed.

Too good to be true? It is.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company makes an effort in the area of wellness. Nice facility. Laid back environment. Nobody works very hard arriving at 9:30 or 10am and leaving by 5pm. I can spend an hour at lunch working out and still leave at 5pm. Nodoby cares. The company has no competition in this niche market so it doesn't matter how ineffective and unproductive they are. Easy to look for other jobs while I'm at work since nobody really cares or knows what I work on or measures my output.

Cons

Inexperienced management at all levels including the over-controlling owner. Experienced people should not work here as they are quickly let go by the owner when he realizes he can't get them to do what he wants. He and his wife want experienced people who won't question them. No way of knowing how you are doing at the company. No understanding of how you can get promoted or move into a new position so it is hard to see any long term future here. Strong favoritism culture based on who has the owners ear or shares his interests. Ridiculous testing process to get hired though the owner is convinced the people that pass his test are the smartest people in the world. Management spends too much time trying to look good externally and pretending to be something they are not. Very unprofessional environment where I have personally felt harrassed and bullied especially when I work with people in support and services where their manager is the leader of that unprofessional behavior. The level of respect for the managers and directors is close to zero. They preach honesty in core values though non can be trusted and none will stand up to the owner and his wife. All yes people. It is a family affair with the wife, husband and son working at the company. Not a good situation. It was better when the wife only worked there part-time. There is no opportunity to give this kind of feedback to anyone in the company. If you did you would be fired.

None as it won't be taken as long as the owner continues to call all the shots. Stop having our marketing people post responses as anonymous employees to every unflattering write up about the copmany. That isn't being genuine and honest.

Not a bad choice

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at HCSS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

comfortable environment, wellness program for employees

Cons

More reasonable company structure is needed.

Organize the company in a more productive way

Wow! - What a great place to work. My friends are all jealous with the stories I tell.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at HCSS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been at the company for 90 days, and I waited a few months to give my thoughts so that I could learn more about the company. Here's the pros. 1. Great products - the software we make is great, and we are the market leader in our industry. We have a great reputation with customers, and our solutions really help them in their work. I'm amazed listening to customers talk about how our products are saving them time, saving them money, etc. I also had a customer reach out to me in LinkedIn last week, and he sent me a full page email about how much he likes HCSS. I didn't get that type of feedback at other companies. 2. Great customer service - the company prides itself on providing world-class customer service. Lots of companies talk about this, and almost none deliver. HCSS is the first company I've worked at where you know customers will have a positive experience when they call support. The net promoter scores are in the 90s, which is unheard of when other great customer service companies are lucky to get in the 40s or 50s. 3. Great culture - I've worked at companies with good cultures, but HCSS is different. The employees really act like owners, and they all take pride in having a great culture. I come to work in blue jeans in a relaxed fun environment, and I work out at lunch on the campus with the company-provided trainers. The company is also committed to multiple charities, and a school for disabled kids in South Africa just flew in last week to present us with an award for our support. It doesn't get any better than that. Meetings are held to a minimum, and when we need to have one, we often do it walking around the track going around the campus. I can see why the company has won so many Best Places to Work in Texas awards.

Cons

I've been here 90 days, but I haven't found too many cons. The interview process was arduous, but I think it was fair, and I'm glad they are picky about who comes to work here. I had to make multiple trips to the campus as they wanted to make sure I was the right fit, but this also gave me the ability to evaluate the company multiple times. I'm glad I made it.

Keep working at maintaining the amazing culture, even as you grow to a larger company.

HCSS Photos