HCT Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
CEO

Working at the HCT was a roller coaster in both good and bad ways, and I really enjoyed working there."

I worked at HCT

Pros

Many people at the institution are committed to student success, and the students themselves are amazing. It was a privilege to associate with them and to be part of their education.

Cons

Policy and personnel changed more than most of us enjoyed. Job security seemed non-existent, even among the most excellent faculty and management.

Advice to Management

I can't really advise the top managers. The vast majority of employees are from outside the UAE, and as an outsider myself, I can't judge their actions. They know what is best for their own people, and they have a huge responsibility to the younger generation.

2. Middle East Employer

I worked at HCT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Faculty from around the world, wonderful place from which to explore the world, the students are welcoming. Recent changes in compensation policies make the job less desirable.

Cons

Administrative red-tape, regime and policy changes, the general turmoil in the Middle East has made the location and travel in the area much less attractive.

Interesting Times

I worked at HCT

Pros

Chance to work in an exciting city and of course the students. Work in a new culture and country

Cons

Difficult senior management to work with. Getting decisions made is a real problem and conflict between local campus and central operations slowed down decision process. Morale low

Advice to Management

Give more decision making ability to managers on the ground. The system forces all decisions to go to the top for approval. Lack of trust is evident

Finance assistant

Former Employee - Finance Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at HCT

Pros

Great team, young management, fast paced

Cons

contracted, lack of communication and organisation

Advice to Management

communicate more with staff

went downhill

I worked at HCT

Pros

good colleagues, reasonable holidays, pd opportunities

Cons

lack of pay rises, pay not keeping up with cost of living

Advice to Management

none

Being dismantled

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at HCT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The largest university in the UAE

Cons

The new leadership is completely undoing an institution built up in two decades of hard work and dedication of thousands of faculty. Those who left even two or three years back - would not recognize this place if they were to come back (no one will).

Advice to Management

Leave the management to those who have experience in education

Disorganized, impersonal, declining remuneration

I have been working at HCT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues are well-educated, supportive, and interested in helping students. Facilities are typically well-maintained and for those interested there is access to latest technology. Students are personable and generally well-behaved (though many have been spoiled and most have unrealistic academic and professional expectations).

Cons

Reductions in benefits, no financial assistance in an outrageously overpriced housing market, no cost-of-living increases, sporadic minimal salary increases, dysfunctional management systems, forced overtime, lack of personal contact from upper management. On the academic side, declining standards and poorer quality students, increasing enrollment and decreasing number of faculty, overly strict security procedures, infatuation with metrics leading to excessive box ticking and paper shuffling, and appointment of showcase Emiratis.

Advice to Management

Set standards and approaches and stick to them. Show concern for your employees and support those who are supporting your children.

9. challenging world and need much hard working

Former Employee - Lecturer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at HCT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i dont want to say any word

Cons

so much tough time in study

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Faculty in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Faculty in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at HCT

Pros

The campus facilities were nice, good gym, coffee shop. Access to decent technology for teaching.

Cons

Cronyism, schizophrenic management changing the objectives constantly, ridiculous amounts of administration, paperwork and reporting; declining salary and benefits, openly berating staff and faculty in meetings, abusive and exploitative personnel permitted to operate with impunity. Professional development discouraged, I was outright told by management there was 0 chance of being promoted after acquiring additional credentials or experience. Frequent unwarranted dismissals, increasing workload for those left behind (my department went from 12 to 3 in the time I was there, with no reduction in expectations for departmental productivity), routinely working 50-60 hours a week with few breaks. Declining salary and benefits; now possibly OK for a single person but in no way worth it for a family needing decent housing and school fees for children. Professional staff severely micromanaged. Very low morale. Dissent/debate/criticism never tolerated. Extremely incompetent people in management (unfamiliar with educational theory, practice, management theory, practice, technology systems, project management, implementation, etc) - tell you to do one thing which is textbook bad practice and then when some VIP mentions they don't like it tell you to do the other and blame you for doing what they said in the first place. Work here if you want to be devalued, cheated, berated, exploited, and micromanaged. And I was a "star" employee.

Advice to Management

My advice would only be useful if management shared the goal of improving education to the students at HCT. They don't care in the least, so no advice I can offer is worthwhile. Just keep doing whatever you have to do to collect your paycheck until you are unceremoniously kicked out and replaced by a 25-yr old Emirati high school grad.

11. Faculty rview

Current Employee - IT Faculty in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - IT Faculty in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at HCT

Pros

Good company, nice management , nice place to work

Cons

Long hours, too muchg preasure

Advice to Management

Care for faculty

RSS Feed </> Embed