HD Supply

HD Supply Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo

Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Lots of good people still work there who are very good at what they do(in 6 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field(in 6 reviews)

• Communication between the lines of business is poor(in 3 reviews)

Worked on a great team with wonderful people. Very supportive of my career goals.

ProsI was given a lot of opportunity at HD Supply. Because the company is fairly new, there has been a lot of unique projects to work on, which has been good for career growth.

ConsUnique culture that you'll need to adapt to in order to be happy and successful.

Good and Bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsUpper management is strong and has an aggressive, exciting plan for the future. Upper management's long term goals are well thought out and plans are carried out when decisions are made.

ConsHD Supply was built through acquisition, therefore everyone is a Sr Manager or VP of something. Their corporate structure is so complex that decisions are slow to be made, if they get made at all. Communication between the lines of business is poor. Communication between the central corporate management and the "field" is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a cohesive corporate culture that flows through all the business groups. Life at the corporate office is much different than at a garden variety branch. Stick to the culture you say you want to build.

Upgraded talent is smart, however they lack the ability to focus on being entrepreneurial

Principal Technologist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat idea - to be the best wholesale building supply company. They have the ability to define the market and be #1 in the world.

ConsToo focused on being GE, Motorola, or Home Depot. They should not try to be any of those.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HDssfff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a tight community within the organization.

ConsLow pay, minimal benefits, low 401k employer contributions

Good company to get your feet wet

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsLoyal company, flexible hours, and good pay.

ConsToo many Politics and not enough standards

Advice to Senior ManagementStandard operating procedures always work best.

Fun, challenging, and rewarding internship!

IT-Intern (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsYou never feel alone during your internship at HD Supply. With the support of nearly each employee or fellow intern, it makes it a great work environment.

ConsLots of different software available for use but no clear instructions on how to obtain the software or how to use them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe intern program is fantastic and you should never do away with it. Although it is great to expand the program, it can get pretty chaotic trying to coordinate with so many other interns for projects.

It's a job. Nothing more.

ProsGreat friendly people to work with. There is definite job security.

ConsPoor career development, pay is mediocre, long hours.

HD Supply has been a very enjoyable plvce to work with good people

ProsPeople, Work Day, Work Atmosphere, Decent Benifits

ConsNo real Structure at Branch Level

lots of good talent but poor leadership in IT at Facilities Maintenance

IT Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosgood stable technology. Lots of investment over the last 5 years. Hard working team.

ConsThe local IT management team keeps chasing the latest IT fad. They do not take the time to understand how everything fits together and believe that throwing good money after bad fixes everything. The corporate CIO gives them a pass on almost everything and does not hold them accountable for results. Most projects are late and seldom deliver the value or ROI promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to all your employees, not just your inner core of yes men

Best Job I ever had

Renovation Operations (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAdvancement, schooling, career path are all sky is the limit here. Tuition help, healthy living benefits.... They are paying for my health insurance this year since I quit smoking. Promoted twice in three years. I came from an industry that devalues is force and this is a huge difference. HD cares about its family members.

ConsUnderstanding that people are sue happy and entitlement is rampant the company has a habit of letting lazy people who are not as productive as others keep there jobs when they should be at McDonald's wondering what happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementDocument all you underperforming personnel and get them off the books. Your holding this company back by forcing others to pick up the slack.

Worked for HD Supply? Contribute to the Community!