HD Supply Reviews

Reset
2.9
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Company interested in good work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• I've heard that working for one of the lines of business is a lot better, but if you do then you're subject to downsizing (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Working for HD Supply has been a tremendous joy and I hope to be able to work there for at least another decade.

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an open-door policy which allows you to better communicate with leadership. Also, while there is plenty of work to be done, the atmosphere is unlike anywhere else I've been. That is, pretty much everyone is kind, fun, and knowledgable. Lastly, if you put in the work, you will be nicely compensated.

Cons

At various times throughout the year, the workload may feel overwhelming to some. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's refreshing to know that there are leaders out there that care about those who grind it out every day and are rewarded for doing so.

HD Supply Response

Aug 19, 2015 – HR Leader

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. As you see, at HD Supply, we seek to build a clean and safe workplace and an environment of universal trust, with everyone performing ... More

2. Not bad, but room for improvement.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees were friendly. The job was very easy. They have a profit sharing program, where employees get a decent bonus check each year.

Cons

Sometimes it was very slow paced. Mostly male environment with some attitude towards women. Lot of exposure to the weather due to doors constantly being opened.

Advice to Management

Give the person in this position more responsibility and more closely monitor your workers. There were some that slacked quite a bit while others did the majority of the work. Also, be more competitive with salary for this position.

3. The best part of the company will be your coworkers

Former Employee - Catalog Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Catalog Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, very nice facility and working conditions, open door policy seemed legitimate, nice cafeteria, friendly security

Cons

Very very poor health benefits, very high deductibles on insurance, little to not very much opportunity for promotion within creative department, HR department not very helpful, lots of company shifts cause shocking annual layoffs

Advice to Management

It would be nice if there were more opportunity for growth and promotion to aspire to. Please, for the sake of all employees, improve health insurance. HDS aims to be the "healthiest company on the planet" but provides insurance that discourages employees from seeing the doctor.

Lumber Yard

I have been working at HD Supply part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly work environment, everyone has a positive attitude. The store manager feed the employees once a month.

Cons

The only downside is that they don't have air conditioning so during summer its very hot.

Advice to Management

supply water and make sure employees aren't thirsty, allow them to take breaks because its very hot in the lumber yard.

6. Analyst

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits, especially if you are in Sales I used to be able to say much more, but once they went Public, nothing mattered by the bottom line.

Cons

-Middle Mgmt likes to take ideas and present them as their own. -No Employee Loyalty. After 15 years, I was part of a 200+ RIF, which also included others with more years in than myself. They had to cut cost with a short deadline and those of us that worked so long to make a decent salary, were the quickest way to do it. -A great deal of Narcissism among the NA Mgrs., and they tended to treat others as their own personal attendants

Advice to Management

Don't forget all the chains in the link that work hard for you to get that Bonus.

7. Renovation Sales Mgr

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at HD Supply (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to manage your own time. Flexible with travel. Good pay

Cons

Higher sales goals each year w/o added support

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work for, and and with. Fun work environment

Cons

Can get really busy and have to put in some long hours at times.

Advice to Management

In general Management is trustworthy and helpful. One piece of advice would be to just give people more of heads up when changes are coming.

9. HD Supply

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Good work environment with decent knowledge of materials

Cons

Ladder to success a little vague

Advice to Management

More programs or internal job announcements before going outside the company.

Design Center Consultant

Former Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Designer in Orlando, FL

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Potential to make handsome commissions in addition to a fair hourly wage. 401k and health benefits are not bad.

Cons

HR "RIFs" (Reduction in Force) people regularly without attempting to place loyal employees in other positions. I have been squeezed out twice in 12 years. This time I'm done.

Advice to Management

All your "Team Spirit" and "Be Healthy","Be Happy", "Be Prepared" crap isn't worth a damn if you don't put your money where your slogan is! How about making employees feel secure in their jobs? I've had empty boxes under my desk since I came back 3 years ago just to be prepared for yesterday's boot. I was a top producer for a long time. I know I did my job well. Telling me I've been an asset to the company and it wasn't my ability or value that was the cause of losing my job made me feel even worse... And it reflects badly on you to let a valued employee go "for now". Seriously... You think I might come back again?

11. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very friendly employees. Approachable executive leadership. Multiple lines of business for career growth.

Cons

The company is a conglomerate of previous acquisitions. There a number of cultural and operational issues with no known plans to overcome. Long-time career outlook is questionable.

Advice to Management

Develop and share plans for future growth--and profitability. Address disparate processes and inefficiencies rooted in decentralized sales and operations. Instill a culture of accountability. Seek outside counsel.

RSS Feed </> Embed