HD Supply Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
273 reviews filtered by
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Most important is the encouragement to have a healthy work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• Communication between the lines of business is poor (in 3 reviews)

1. Customer Service Representive

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. Relatively easy job Good benefits. Good new style corporate philosophy. Good mix of old and young.

Cons

Sit down too much, so need to exercise.

Advice to Management

Very helpful

2. Great company that puts employees first and deliver true value to our customers.

I have been working at HD Supply full-time

Pros

Always thinking about how we can be the best for our customers and doing so by supporting and caring about every employee. Best supply company out there!

Cons

Work load can be intense for some, but I like it that way so not a con. Expensive healthcare, but not really at the fault of the company either.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and our family culture.

3. Easy job

I have been working at HD Supply full-time

Pros

Easy job. Just need attention to detail. I have worked for three different branches. Facilities, White Cap and Interior Solutions

Cons

Management has been for the most part, iffy. White Cap was ok, Interior solutions has been good. However Facilities was horrible. Boss would tell you to hurry up your orders every hour or so, then tell you to slow down for accuracy of picks. Any mispicks would be returned, however, one mispick and you were in bosses office. Many workers dragged their feet. Supervisor of the warehouse would typically pass the blame. Averaged a 12 hour day. Seemed to have little reward. Hence why I bounced around.

Advice to Management

Get better managers. You're a billion dollar corporation so protect your employees more and you will have a loyal crew.

5. Working for HD Supply has been a tremendous joy and I hope to be able to work there for at least another decade.

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an open-door policy which allows you to better communicate with leadership. Also, while there is plenty of work to be done, the atmosphere is unlike anywhere else I've been. That is, pretty much everyone is kind, fun, and knowledgable. Lastly, if you put in the work, you will be nicely compensated.

Cons

At various times throughout the year, the workload may feel overwhelming to some. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's refreshing to know that there are leaders out there that care about those who grind it out every day and are rewarded for doing so.

6. Field Account Representative

Former Employee - Filed Accouint Representative in City Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Filed Accouint Representative in City Industry, CA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Set your own schedule, pre existing customer base. Good benefits. Lots of training from manufacturers and within the company.

Cons

A lot of stress since the company went public a couple of years ago. Low morale since the company purged more than 300 employees in July of 2014 and continued dismissal of key employees.

Advice to Management

Make the job fun again. It's hard to focus on your job when you are constantly worrying about when your time is going to come in terms of being let go.

7. senior graphic designer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply

Pros

Wonderful staff, lots of vacation, sick time, wellness time. Low pressure, easy going environment.

Cons

No opportunity to advance. Most senior staff are lifers due to the tons of time off. Any request for improvements are labeled as complaints and whining. Staff is treated with little professional respect. Any employee in the company who has a design direction gets to tell the designers what to do. There is no weight given to the designers ideas or input. One must agree with any and everyone in order to keep people happy.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff, treat them with respect. Most of us have degrees in design and are well qualified to provide profitable sales oriented, informed direction.

8. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product offering, great employees, customer first mentality

Cons

computer systems are a little behind the times. Website needs to be stronger. Some divisions have virtually no ecommerce capability. Company doesn't allow new initiatives enough time to bear fruit and as a result lays off capable and competent employees when these initiatives are ended prematurely.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your employees happy. Update the Ecommerce capabilities of some of your divisions. Don't be so quick to shut down new ventures and shed valuable employees.

Working in the warehouse doing material handling.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at HD Supply part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company that has a steady stream of business. They are flexible with schedules if you are a student. You get to operate power equipment.

Cons

It is usually a harsh environment to work in. You could be working in extreme cold or the opposite extreme heat. You will breath dust containing who knows what all day.

Advice to Management

Some management do not work together too well. This does not send a good message to employees. I always heard supervisors talking bad of each other.

10. Great learning experience

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply

Pros

-Managers that care
    -Practical work that grows the company
    -Class of interns

Cons

-Long hours
    -Not enough social events

HD Supply Response

Mar 24, 2015HR Leader

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate when our associates take the time to provide us with feedback.

This company is not the company it used to be

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

No pros for this positions

Cons

In my opinion they do not do a good job of hiring senior managers. Senior managers do not practice what they preach. Junior managers do all the work while senior managers get all the accolades and there is no work-life balance for junior managers because of the very long hours they work and the pay isn't comparable to the hour worked.