HD Supply Reviews

265 reviews filtered by
2.9
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Most important is the encouragement to have a healthy work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• Communication between the lines of business is poor (in 3 reviews)

1. No communication

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

The people are nice. Company and office events are frequent. Decent pay initially. Flexible working hours for most. Insurance benefits are effective immediately. (Although very expensive!)

Cons

Mgmt has no interest in developing their employees. Need to start communicating when expectations fall short so there's a chance for improvement before firing.

Talk to your employees about expectations before blindsiding them with termination.

Mar 24, 2015HR Leader

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, both positive and negative. We wish you the best in the next step of your career.

2. Marketing Professional

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

A paycheck. Some people are nice. Company wide events (Ice cream socials and BBQs). SMART CEO, just terrible team she has put together in marketing.

Cons

Too many. Expensive health insurance. Insecure management. Very reactionary culture. Lacks innovation. Long hours for NO reason.

Time to clean house and bring new leadership. Leadership has been getting stale and hasn't improved. In fact, morale goes down, and when business doesn't go well, easy to lay off/ get rid of people. You need a stronger HR that knows how to question why turnover rates are high in different parts of the business.

Mar 24, 2015HR Leader

Thank you for your response. We are sorry to have lost you, and we wish you the best in the next step of your career.

3. SALES MANAGER

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the employees are very friendly

Cons

It is a very difficult company to work

Great Learning experience, however not a place to stay and grow

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Orlando, FL

I have been working at HD Supply

Pros

Actual work. Same work load and type as the full time staff

Cons

Limited growth opportunity for someone looking to advance their career.

Feb 25, 2015HR Leader

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We understand that talented, committed associates are the heart and soul of HD Supply and therefore strive to develop and empower best ... More

6. Stay Away

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

Pay, product offering, technology, good co-workers on the team.

Cons

Training, Management, want you to be a robot, no freedom to sell, think they can control customer.

Let sales people sell.

Jan 23, 2015Communications Specialist

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear about your experience. We strive to develop and empower best of the best talent by listening, learning helping and leading.

7. Spectacularly Incompetent

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at HD Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job in a bad economy, because they are always churning staff. Very easy, low to no expectations. Brown nosing is more effective than at any other place I have ever worked.

Cons

Complete lack of executive control. Top executives are completely isolated from their own failures. I have not worked there since summer, but continue to get literature and samples sent to my house, despite having called three levels of management. Yet, they were able to cut off all benefits the day I left.

What can you say to people who run a global corporation and stiff everyone except the top seven executives when the company goes public?

Feb 10, 2015HR Leader

Thank you for your review. We welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, and we are concerned about some of the points you have made.
    Had you reached out to your HR partner, we would have
    ... More

8. HD Supply

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at HD Supply

Pros

Good hours, you get to work alone most days, good starting pay

Cons

They sold company to Home Depot. No room for advancement

A raise every once and awhile might keep your employees happy

Retarded Marketers

Former Employee - Content Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Except under unusual circumstances there is adequate parking.

Cons

Marketing/upper management has absolutely no clue how to manage the website, content for the website or basic inventory systems in the 21st century. The company is manually entering in website and email orders via fax machine. They have no content management system and no idea why one is even necessary. The lack of basic business intelligence is disturbing.

Hire actual eCommerce and marketing professionals.

10. If I could give them a zero, I would.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Santee, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Santee, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A steady paycheck with mediocre benefits. A FEW really decent, honest, compassionate co-workers. (But, you can find a much larger group of caring co-workers elsewhere.)

Cons

H.R. and Mgrs threaten employees, because they have no idea how impossible it is to do the job. Mgrs have told employees at this location to not say anything negative when high-level executives visit about the SAP programs or the environment under threat of being replaced by someone else. Mgrs and H.R. disagree with each other about daily job responsibilities. So, Mgrs expect an unreasonable amount of work with inadequate tools and resources. That is why HD Supply FM continues to get in trouble over people working off the clock. To this day, the pressure from Mgrs who have no idea what it is like to sit in the CSR chair is to do more and more and there is only one way for people to please their Mgrs - to work off the clock. Mgrs expect more work that can be done without a time to take a breath between phone calls, but H.R. says to keep everything secret and not work on your own time. Solution: Put everything that is mandatory on people's workforce schedule and if it is not on the work schedule, then it cannot be done. (That is the way it used to be years ago.) It will hold Mgmt responsible for pushing people to work off the clock and H.R. will get a true picture of the impossible, insane workload that really, honestly can not be done in the fraction of a second between phone calls. Itemize it all, prioritize it, and put what can be reasonably done on the schedule.

Someone really needs to do like a "Undercover Boss" for a week or more to see how bad this company (or maybe just this branch location) really is. They need to go through the inadequate training, thrown onto the phones, cussed-out by customers (with management approval), told how bad they are at their jobs by fellow employees and customers (words like stupid), provided the same unproductive computers, software and other job resources, stand in line and do #2 in their pants while waiting for the one and only restroom for 300 employees, be penalized for not being on the phones and meeting the quota, be pressured into doing more than is possible in a day, feel the stress of having to choose between what your immediate Mgr requires and H.Rs secret mandate to not work on your own time, not having time to read barrages of e-mails, releasing pending, have other higher-level associates push their work onto you, get berated for little insignificant things (being less than a perfect robot employee), threatened by their fake bosses (since they are undercover), leave feeling abused and dismissed. When do you have the time between standing in line at the restroom or back-to-back phone calls? When a problem is brought to your attention, don't let go until the employee feels that the issue is taken care of. Especially when it is the right and decent thing to do as a human being, an American, and an employer. By the way, on cultures and values below - their values do not match their actions and hostile work environment.

WORST COMPANY EVER!!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are not any pros

Cons

The worst management EVER!! They treat you like dirt and expect you to do everything but your job. The management is unrealistic and has employees perform cleaning bathrooms so mgmt can pocket money saved. No class and treats employees like dirt. HR is also a joke. If your accounts are growing, the take them away and give to their favorite sellers. Run do not walk if they contact you

Clean up your branches and get new mgmt