HD Supply Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014

HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

• Loyal company, flexible hours, and good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• Communication between the lines of business is poor (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

WORST COMPANY EVER!!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are not any pros

Cons

The worst management EVER!! They treat you like dirt and expect you to do everything but your job. The management is unrealistic and has employees perform cleaning bathrooms so mgmt can pocket money saved. No class and treats employees like dirt. HR is also a joke. If your accounts are growing, the take them away and give to their favorite sellers. Run do not walk if they contact you

Clean up your branches and get new mgmt

Run fast when they try to recruit you!

Current Employee - Senior SAP Functional Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior SAP Functional Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

San Diego is a beautiful area with plenty to do on the weekend. Pricey yet still very nice for Southern California.

Cons

The place is plagued with EX GE stooges and Bain Capital flunkies who don't care about nothing but profit. Benefits suck, 401k sucks and the lack of clear direction hurts the organization. Lots of layers of people who don't do anything but manage pivot tables and PowerPoint slides. Company has potential once it sheds itself of incompetent management who can make a profit and care about its employees by providing decent compensation and bonus. This is "Not" a fun place to work! Don't be fooled by the volleyball nets out front. Layoffs are always happening here when profitability is not met. Don't believe anything you are told here. Run fast when the try to recruit you!

There is no advice as the management do not care. You are just another "Cog" in the proverbial wheel. I read the reviews before coming and should have taken my other offers as this place truly sucks!

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Metairie, LA

I worked at HD Supply full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. I was lied to from the first interview. I am not sure if anything that was ever discussed to me by my immediate supervisor was honest or true.

Cons

Unethical.
    Self centered Local Management that is more interested in themselves & their status instead of employees. Human Resources is non-existent.
    Any top revenue salesperson can break absolutely every basic company policy-from Policy "A " thru Policy "Z" and all management personnel from the Regional Manager level on down will turn their head & act as if no policy has been broken. If you produce > $2 MM in Dollar Sales anything that you do (sexually harass another employee, bribe a customer, bring a weapon onto the workplace), will be swept under the rug!
    The absolute worst workplace environment ever.
    How they have never been sued is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck!
    For all of the Town Hall meetings, etc, someone needs to drill down, Branch by Branch & learn about the real serious unethical & HR problems that exist.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Practices Intimidation

Current Employee - Credit  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Credit in Omaha, NE

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good customers. Work hours can be good for some.

Cons

Our Area Manager left. We are now stuck with uneducated, rude regional management who cries often and believes positive quotes and books will make up for lacking sincere people skills. We are threatened about morale and our conversations with each other and National management actually lurks around trying to listen and is very manipulative= beware. If you want job security expect to have to tell on fellow employees. HR is new, unexperienced, unequipped and over their head. Lastly be prepared regional management is so worried about what sales thinks that there will be rude tantrums to us.

Regional Management no one wants to ask you anything, so if we do don't be so condescending! It's always condescending or crying. Corporate, please get us better management. Is it legal to rate us by our Be Healthy involvement on reviews? Healthcare is now way too expensive!

Corrupt GE Alum leadership

I worked at HD Supply

Pros

Not a darn thing at all.

Cons

GE glass ceiling. Very very undiverse Infrastructure department that makes all of the technical decisions.

If you don't care, just sell the company to someone who does.

Disappointed and feel like they discriminate against women

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Casual Dress
    Flex Schedule
    Off Weekends
    Free Water

Cons

All about upper management. Any awards your co-workers have to "nominate" you for.which no one wants to nominate you! All upper management is constantly promoted, winning awards and trips, newsletters about them. It's all BS. No room for growth. Barely any women in the company in serious positions. Most in admin or assistant positions. Every branch runs like there own company.

Way too many chiefs, not enough indians. Treat your employees better. No one wants to promote or nominate for doing a good job so stop the BS awards. Managers have their heads in the clouds. No clue what is happening in the branches, since they all work remote. Not enough awards in sales. Train your outside people correctly instead giving them months to "learn" the business.

Has slipped to the worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Customer Care Supervisor  in  Santee, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Santee, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is profitable and as long as you keep your mouth shut and work your behind off then you will do fine. Some of the co-workers are the best people I would care to know.

Cons

The reason why you work so hard and still can not do it all is because of favorites who stand around talking and eating with their bosses while everybody else picks up the slack. I've heard some associates describe it as a bullying atmosphere and think that is a fair analogy. It is cliquey, like a school and lead by teams of bullies (i.e. management) who make your daily life a living hell. Then they expect you to rave about or sell HD Supply??

I can not say enough bad about our management, including H.R. They are just asking for a lawsuit and when it happens not if it happens they will deserve it. Management lies, cheats, and steals from its own employees. They feel entitled and their is no way to challenge their authority. Management would never allow their loved ones to be treated the way they treat their employees. It was a pretty good company years ago, but has continually become worse over the years and months. Profit Over People - this is no Costco to work for.

Adequate pay for a dead end job, terrible job.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at HD Supply part-time for less than a year

Pros

For the pay, like a summer job, and some work experience. The one in Santa Clara hires just about anyone if they pass the drug test. Usually there are a few nice people to be around, and can usually enjoy working there when not having to deal with the leads and management.

Cons

Terrible management. They play favorites. And at the Santa Clara one, females get favored over males. They have set schedules that do not change. So it can be difficult as a student to try and work and get the classes needed. And unless you are favored, don't expect any progression for a career. They constantly lose employees. Soon that $10 an hour isn't worth it in the long run.

Get new management. And basically new employees, so you can revamp your store so you can keep employees. Also set scheduling is ridiculous. Especially if the majority of your employees are college students, like your Santa Clara store. No wonder you almost hire anyone.

Don't go here

I worked at HD Supply full-time

Pros

Orlando is a great location although the headquarters is located in a rather unsafe part of downtown Orlando. Good workout facility.

Cons

Very negative culture, full of passive aggressive behaviors from executive leadership. Run like an old style GE company and a very cut throat environment.

Fake it until you make it is not a viable leadership strategy. Own your mistakes, don't ask employees to fix divisional relationships you have damaged.

Worst company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Shipping  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Shipping in Orlando, FL

I worked at HD Supply full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You got paid for working there. Most of the employees were easy to get along with. You got paid for working there.

Cons

Joe De Angelo is letting management run the company in the ground. They play favorites, they have gotten rid of most of all the senior employees to save money, lower management is scared to voice an opinion or take up for their workers. This company will not be in business in 2 years. You can't treat people like they do and remain in business. What goes around comes around.

Get rid of Joe DeAngelo. How he can stand by and let management treat the employees like they do is irresponsible. If I were an owner in this company I would sell before it is devalued to nothing. If you want to know the truth just talk with all the loyal employees that you got rid of just so you could hire new employees and pay them less. Being loyal serves no purpose anymore. I could name names but that would do no good without someone caring. I do know that everyone working there now would leave in a heartbeat if they could find another job. If the economy ever improves you will have to hire a whole new crew.

Worked for HD Supply? Contribute to the Community!