HD Supply Reviews

Reset
2.9
HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Company interested in good work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• I've heard that working for one of the lines of business is a lot better, but if you do then you're subject to downsizing (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Working for HD Supply has been a tremendous joy and I hope to be able to work there for at least another decade.

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is an open-door policy which allows you to better communicate with leadership. Also, while there is plenty of work to be done, the atmosphere is unlike anywhere else I've been. That is, pretty much everyone is kind, fun, and knowledgable. Lastly, if you put in the work, you will be nicely compensated.

Cons

At various times throughout the year, the workload may feel overwhelming to some. Other than that, I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's refreshing to know that there are leaders out there that care about those who grind it out every day and are rewarded for doing so.

HD Supply Response

Aug 19, 2015 – HR Leader

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. As you see, at HD Supply, we seek to build a clean and safe workplace and an environment of universal trust, with everyone performing ... More

Lost time and un-competitive salary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have many talented colleagues here.

Cons

Too many org changes. It's like once around 2 weeks at least. Very unstable work environment, and kept in the dark about almost all management decisions before it hits. Glass ceilings everywhere.

Advice to Management

Reward and pay based on merit and ROI per project instead of the favoritism driven promotions and bonuses. You might have a decent workforce that does more than the bare minimum not to get fired.

3. Not bad, but room for improvement.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees were friendly. The job was very easy. They have a profit sharing program, where employees get a decent bonus check each year.

Cons

Sometimes it was very slow paced. Mostly male environment with some attitude towards women. Lot of exposure to the weather due to doors constantly being opened.

Advice to Management

Give the person in this position more responsibility and more closely monitor your workers. There were some that slacked quite a bit while others did the majority of the work. Also, be more competitive with salary for this position.

5. The best part of the company will be your coworkers

Former Employee - Catalog Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Catalog Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, very nice facility and working conditions, open door policy seemed legitimate, nice cafeteria, friendly security

Cons

Very very poor health benefits, very high deductibles on insurance, little to not very much opportunity for promotion within creative department, HR department not very helpful, lots of company shifts cause shocking annual layoffs

Advice to Management

It would be nice if there were more opportunity for growth and promotion to aspire to. Please, for the sake of all employees, improve health insurance. HDS aims to be the "healthiest company on the planet" but provides insurance that discourages employees from seeing the doctor.

Work Life out of balance

Pros

Salary was good in the field but not for hours required

Cons

Terrible Medical Plan 14+ Hour Days Constant Stress and Emotional Harassment by Superiors

Advice to Management

Hire more people and treat people with respect and not like machines - regulating based on favoritism and a mob mentality does not work and it is why they do not keep good people

Just MY experience

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at HD Supply (More than a year)

Pros

Easy money, a monkey could've done my work. Most everyone I worked with was extremely friendly and outgoing.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. In 2+ years of employment I received a 2% salary increase. Nepotistic management. I ended up leaving after I could not resolve a discriminatory issue with management, and then HR, instead of fixing the problem they retaliated and became very hostile. Oh and the Phoenix office is a complete dump as well.

Advice to Management

Try something else...

Field Account Specialist

Current Employee - Field Account Specialist in Vernon, CT
    Current Employee - Field Account Specialist in Vernon, CT

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wide variety of products available for next day delivery

Cons

Horrible upper management. Horrible bonus structure, all geared to management not to the rep

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep your top talent, because we are all leaving for the same reason !!!

9. Analyst

I worked at HD Supply full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Great Benefits, especially if you are in Sales I used to be able to say much more, but once they went Public, nothing mattered by the bottom line.

Cons

-Middle Mgmt likes to take ideas and present them as their own. -No Employee Loyalty. After 15 years, I was part of a 200+ RIF, which also included others with more years in than myself. They had to cut cost with a short deadline and those of us that worked so long to make a decent salary, were the quickest way to do it. -A great deal of Narcissism among the NA Mgrs., and they tended to treat others as their own personal attendants

Advice to Management

Don't forget all the chains in the link that work hard for you to get that Bonus.

10. Renovation Sales Mgr

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at HD Supply (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to manage your own time. Flexible with travel. Good pay

Cons

Higher sales goals each year w/o added support

Lumber Yard

I have been working at HD Supply part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a friendly work environment, everyone has a positive attitude. The store manager feed the employees once a month.

Cons

The only downside is that they don't have air conditioning so during summer its very hot.

Advice to Management

supply water and make sure employees aren't thirsty, allow them to take breaks because its very hot in the lumber yard.

RSS Feed </> Embed