HD Supply

Updated December 11, 2014
2.9

HD Supply CEO Joe DeAngelo
Joe DeAngelo

Pros
  • Most important is the encouragement to have a healthy work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Branch level associates are great people that are fun to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no clue about whats going on in the field (in 6 reviews)

• Communication between the lines of business is poor (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to be if you are ambitious

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Poway, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's easy to move up/around if you start at entry level, and the company listens to the ideas of the employees. Lot's of growth opportunities but it won't fall in your lap.

Cons

The pay is below average.

Get rid of projects with minimal returns, increase risk tolerance, spend a little money, and buy into ideas with large potential upsides.

Nice peaceful and relaxed

Current Employee - Tool Rental in Montebello, CA
    Current Employee - Tool Rental in Montebello, CA

I have been working at HD Supply part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They usually like to start you off above the minimum wage and you get to use a lot of construction equipment fun.

Cons

It gets pretty dull. Its hard to keep yourself busy sometimes.

Management could use some work being welcoming with employees

Big company, with small company feel.

Former Employee - Corporate Summer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Summer Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship experience was very hands on and meaningful. We received direct exposure to leadership with networking opportunities and a final presentation to the leadership team. Fitness oriented company, with beautiful site for walking meetings.

Cons

The company wasn't modern and each area of the business seemed segregated by department. Some associates have a negative perspective on the salary and benefits.

HD Supply rewards over achievers and takes care of them financially

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a hard worker, and are able to make a name for yourself in a large company, then you can be successful

Cons

Upper Management has been at HD Supply for many years, influcing them to change can be difficult at times

Be open minded and willing to hear new and creative ideas from your employees. The benefits package is not ideal, many folks don't participate if they have the option to get healthcare elsewhere.

If I could give them a zero, I would.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Santee, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Santee, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A steady paycheck with mediocre benefits. A FEW really decent, honest, compassionate co-workers. (But, you can find a much larger group of caring co-workers elsewhere.)

Cons

H.R. and Mgrs threaten employees, because they have no idea how impossible it is to do the job. Mgrs have told employees at this location to not say anything negative when high-level executives visit about the SAP programs or the environment under threat of being replaced by someone else. Mgrs and H.R. disagree with each other about daily job responsibilities. So, Mgrs expect an unreasonable amount of work with inadequate tools and resources. That is why HD Supply FM continues to get in trouble over people working off the clock. To this day, the pressure from Mgrs who have no idea what it is like to sit in the CSR chair is to do more and more and there is only one way for people to please their Mgrs - to work off the clock. Mgrs expect more work that can be done without a time to take a breath between phone calls, but H.R. says to keep everything secret and not work on your own time. Solution: Put everything that is mandatory on people's workforce schedule and if it is not on the work schedule, then it cannot be done. (That is the way it used to be years ago.) It will hold Mgmt responsible for pushing people to work off the clock and H.R. will get a true picture of the impossible, insane workload that really, honestly can not be done in the fraction of a second between phone calls. Itemize it all, prioritize it, and put what can be reasonably done on the schedule.

Someone really needs to do like a "Undercover Boss" for a week or more to see how bad this company (or maybe just this branch location) really is. They need to go through the inadequate training, thrown onto the phones, cussed-out by customers (with management approval), told how bad they are at their jobs by fellow employees and customers (words like stupid), provided the same unproductive computers, software and other job resources, stand in line and do #2 in their pants while waiting for the one and only restroom for 300 employees, be penalized for not being on the phones and meeting the quota, be pressured into doing more than is possible in a day, feel the stress of having to choose between what your immediate Mgr requires and H.Rs secret mandate to not work on your own time, not having time to read barrages of e-mails, releasing pending, have other higher-level associates push their work onto you, get berated for little insignificant things (being less than a perfect robot employee), threatened by their fake bosses (since they are undercover), leave feeling abused and dismissed. When do you have the time between standing in line at the restroom or back-to-back phone calls? When a problem is brought to your attention, don't let go until the employee feels that the issue is taken care of. Especially when it is the right and decent thing to do as a human being, an American, and an employer. By the way, on cultures and values below - their values do not match their actions and hostile work environment.

HD Supply Summer Internship San Diego

Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

work-life balance
    friendly
    Comfortable working conditions
    Great effort to keep steady flow of high-level strategic goals and company mission to all associates

Cons

unorganized
    lacking communication of objectives
    Not challenging
    I viewed this company as a great stepping stone to the next opportunity or for someone who wants to collect a paycheck and not want to grow.
    I was told the path to management is to keep my head down and do my work and have people recognize me for it. This may take up to 10 years. (ridiculous!)

For each intern there should be a well thought out plan with specific goals. The people involved should be dedicated from start to finish. It should be more challenging and prove to have an actual use and impact to the company.

Good work experience, negative environment

Former Employee - Production Artist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in San Diego, CA

I worked at HD Supply as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here as a design contractor in the Creative Services department. This was good for my overall experience as an entry-level designer at the time.

Cons

I felt very disrespected here, often, and the overall vibe was extremely negative. I observed others being treated poorly as well.

Be respectful of temporary employees. Just because someone is not a full-fledged employee of the company doesn't mean he or she shouldn't be treated as an intelligent human being who is of worth.

Grateful - lots of learning and skill enhancements

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at HD Supply full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Company to develop your skills

Cons

No training.. figure it out yourself environment

Be warned of shady Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santee, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santee, CA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to work there for almost 6 years. I started in Customer Service as a temp in hopes that I could use it as a stepping stone. I then got a really crappy manager that seemed to almost suppress me from advancement.

Cons

I applied for many jobs outside the current department I was working in, I had not even a hand full of interviews, the last interview I had the person interviewing me didn't even read my resume. It is very hard to move up or out of where you start with the company. and if the company thinks they are going to have issues or your boss doesn't like you, they will either treat you to want to quit or just terminate you.

Higher better Supervisors that know what the hell they are doing. Don't make people managers and supervisors just because they have worked in the company forever, with a high school diploma. it is all very much a clique

very employee conscious company

Former Employee - IT Support in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Support in Atlanta, GA

I worked at HD Supply full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HD Supply is a company who believes in the happiness and well being of its employees. It has many initiatives in place that allow a person to maintain a healthy working relationship directly at work and socially outside of work. They promote health, family, and overall integrity

Cons

HD Supply is a spin off of Home Depot, it hasn't yet found it's full growth potential. It recently went public and that made it change some financial objectives by way of "cutting excess fat". Some employees got laid off, a very small percentage, and some extra spending was cut back by way of perks, etc, but that's typical for any healthy functional profitable company.

Continue to lead from the top down, keep your ears open to suggestions and allow feedback that is healthy to assist in the growth and prosperity of your company. Continue to offer excellent perks to those who show Best Effort.