HDL

Good first job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at HDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, good pay, 5 weeks PTO

Cons

bad culture, a lot of office politics

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at HDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, love the core company mission, great pay, interesting work. Management is great and don't micro manage. Work with your schedule. Excellent PTO and holidays. Love my job....all jobs have ups and downs.

Cons

Concerned that I may be laid off at a moments notice with no severance. I would have rated it 5 stars but this concern is very worrisome as they cut workforce by 15% in Nov 2014 with no notice or severance. Company is dealing with several legal issues that make me worry about the company's long term viability.

Warn employees of impending lay offs, don't blindside us so we are left with no job, no insurance and no severance.

It was a great place...

I worked at HDL

Pros

There were some really great people. And they did have a very fun and exciting culture for a while. They had great benefits, gave employees the opportunity to live a healthy lifestyle, and did a lot for the community.

Cons

Very few people in upper management seem to actually put any thought into major business decisions. Huge, costly projects are often pushed forward with no ROI research and poor execution so they fail. Certain departments are allowed to do whatever they want and waste as much company time and money as they want without showing any progress or reaching any of the goals promised.

Listen to the advice of those who actually have business knowledge. Stop making emotional decision, and actually demand some type of research. Start thinking long term instead of just whats going to get you the next big payout.

Used to Spoil Employees, Now a Complete Mess

I worked at HDL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO and a compelling business concept (lab tests, reporting and consultations focused on disease prevention, rather than diagnosis). I had the opportunity to meet and work with a number of great people, though many are no longer with the company. I experienced a considerable amount of creative freedom in the work I did.

Cons

The lack of business acumen among upper management is appalling; company leaders consist of bright clinical scientists (I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, because I'm not a scientist, I come from a business/finance background) and people who happened to be there in the early days of the company - many of whom are related to the co-founder and former CEO. Internal communications are irresponsible, if not deceitful. I would encourage anyone who's considering working here to reference the numerous articles that have been written about HDL's business practices and current legal troubles (Forbes, NYT, Richmond Times-Dispatch). There's a reason the company has been without a full-time CFO for close to a year.

Hire established, successful business leaders from outside of the company to be your replacements.

Everything everyone is saying is true

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CHC services, gym, benefits, decent pay

Cons

Read other reviews. Total incompetence and nepotism. Dishonest and lack credibility

The lawsuits are a consequence of your incompetent leadership and management. Stand up with integrity and be honest to the public and the companies you owe money. Stop suing other labs in attempt to cushion your losses.

Great Development

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician

I have been working at HDL full-time

Pros

This company does an incredible job developing their employees. I lot of time and effort is spent by our supervisors to make sure you are learning and growing well. You are encouraged to try new things and share innovative ideas which are rewarded constantly.

Cons

Can be a discouraging place to work if you aren't an ideator or good communicator. You will see your fellow employees be promoted for their accomplishments if they are better at coming up with new ideas and befriending the right people.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Your Work Ethic means little to nothing..

I worked at HDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When it was a small fun place to work. We worked hard and were appreciated.

Cons

Going Corporate ruined the morale and atmosphere. For employees, clients and reps.

Appreciate the people that actually work hard. People who have their roots planted with management somehow get away with everything. Playing favorites is for HighSchool..not for people who are truly looking for a career.

Was a great place to work and learn

I have been working at HDL

Pros

-Time off policies are still great
    -Lots of opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

- Too much politics (after the recent lay offs the game is even more intense)
    - Nepotism
    - Poor vision

Good people to work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at HDL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

job perks were fantastic. Excellent break room with ping pong table and bean bag chairs. plasma screens in every department.

Cons

financial troubles have reduced staff drastically.

A nightmarish place to work

I worked at HDL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They paid well and there was plenty of interesting work to be done. They also know how to throw very lavish Halloween parties.

Cons

There were a lot of things to dislike about working at HDL. It was extremely chaotic and poorly managed. These people didn't even have department budgets for the first 4 years of operation. There were no project gates or controls, so there were all sorts of pet projects with no ROI which were rushed over reasonable infrastructure projects. Advancement and recognition was based on some arcane principle, such as how closely related to the board of directors you are, rather than on projects, productivity, or knowledge. They pay a lot of lip service to 'work life balance' and other positive cultural attributes, but this seems to be largely something they put on posters - If your life is spent at work, then you will find balance at HDL. Just don't expect those extra hours to earn you recognition.

Hope for a sale on parachutes.