HDL

Add Photos

HDL President, CEO & Co-Founder Tonya Mallory

Tonya Mallory

The true picture

ProsGreat benefits, competitive pay, unique working environments, awesome culture (fun atmosphere), opportunities to make an impact in the community for a healthier life.

ConsTake ideas and innovations and hand them to upper management to do something with it. They encourage innovation, yet restrict you from fully doing anything with it as they allow the chiefs to change it and it doesn't even make any sense. They fear your potential and try to praise mediocrity to make you all feel as though we are exactly the same. Everyone is a winner culture, which we all know just feeds people BS. We are all just awesome and great yet no real attention to the real talent within the company. Basically, you get hired on and everything appears to be so revolutionary, but over time you realize that they just boost your ego to keep you going meanwhile they operate just like any other business. If you knew how they started the company, it would tell you where their loyalty lies and proves their ethics.....which means there aren't much. Creative on the outside, but limited on the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sitting in your chairs collecting fat paychecks and hiring your friends to make more CFO's, CCO's, etc. and not acknowledge the staff you have that actually care about your business and want to make use of the ideas and innovations to make a difference.

I love the company

Lab Technologist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe obvious, great benefits and great environment

ConsTime-off policies for current dept.

Looks Good from the Outside Looking In..Until You Are Actually In.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalaries, Benefits - the overall mission of the organization.

ConsNepotism, favoritism, gossiping, and a lot of cut throat individuals trying to get to the top. There are also many people in high level positions without the experience and credentials to be there. How can we learn from leaders who don't already know how to do what they were hired to do? A lot of indecisiveness exists as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt starts from the top - please be aware of your words and actions and how it is perceived by the people who are trying to support you to bring the company to the next level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think Facebook, but with medicine.

Intern (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

Pros- The people are great, rarely do you find someone who's not excited about what they do.
    - Good benefits
    - Fast growth gives many opportunities

Cons- It's hectic all the time. Deadlines are often incredibly strict.
    - Compensation for interns is not competitive.
    - Upper management is constantly seen playing favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want this to grow from a successful startup to a legitimate company, then you've got to start hiring interns less because they're related to your employees and more because you think they'll benefit the company.

Good company going through unnecessary growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Co-workers are great to be around!!

ConsSometimes hard work and knowledge doesn't pay off. If you're management's favorite then moving up in the company is easy. Too many emotional decision making and "yes" persons.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet from behind the desk to see, know and understand what your employees do everyday and get their direct feedback on improvement of the department/company. If an employee makes a mistake allow them to learn from it rather than hold it over their head and be fair with training opportunities. When promoting employees make sure the promotion suits the deserving employee and not given to them because they're management's favorite.

Great growing company

ProsFast paced, growing company. Great benefits

ConsVery disorganized. In their attempts to become more structured, they are failing. At the onset a very warm company until you delve deeper.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management over several departments. There is a lot of unfair management procedures going on that the CEO probably doesn't know about.

Wonderful startup company, but it is a startup company

Lab Technologist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe benefits are the best around. The work/family life balance is great. There is a great chance on being promoted if you are innovative.

ConsIt is a fairly new company (less than 5 years old), so methods and processes are constantly changing from week to week. If you cannot adapt well, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not start something you cannot see until the end.

Went from the greatest to worst very quickly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe benefits are awesome, as are the officers of the company and your direct/equal peers.

ConsThere is a lot of mismanagement, people given management and director positions without any knowlegde or experience to back up their resume. Most of those in upper management, especially in one department, are rude, discriminates, make you feel less than, and some can be very racist. They are inexperienced and will berate thier direct reports who have more knowlegde and attempt to assist and correct thier mistakes. Upper management advises direct reports to perform incorrect and unethical actions due to thier lack of knowledge base. No open door environment or confidentiaity as complaints fall on deaf ears and employees are then penalized for doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the officers and CEO would be to take a better look at who is hired and placed in management and director positions. Test thier knowledge and listen to the floor employees as too many complaints of the same type warrant investigation. There are many bad seeds in management who lie, cheat, and steal and do/say anything to cover their butts.You will lose many good employees while you are only concerned with $$$

Lab technician

Lab Technician (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThere are no positives for this employer.

ConsRude employer inflexible, HR team is extremely rude and incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all HR

Great place to work/retire from

Lab Technologist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsVery flexible schedules, great benefits (most are company paid), a very relaxed atmosphere, open communication even up to the higher-ups. The company is constantly growing and expanding, but make sure not to make employees feel like a number.

ConsBeing a fairly new company, a lot of practices are not in full swing yet. Procedures are constantly being updated, which makes it hard to keep up sometimes with what is new each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Management here is what is normal at most companies. There is always a bad seed in the bunch, but that comes with hiring of different people.

Worked for HDL? Contribute to the Community!