HDR Architecture

Add Photos

HDR Architecture Chairman & CEO George A. Little

George A. Little

Best Job in IT I've had so far

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFree food, office culture, 3% raises, 401k-K stock options, employee owned, great hours, room for advancement, PTO, lots of good coffee of all types. This place is great and the work is very rewarding. Hard work does not go unrecognized here, and upper management real does try to look out for you.

ConsNone, this is a really great company to work for. There is a lot of room from advancement. If there is no open position for you to move up too, they will convert your current position to that position. For example, if you are an IT Support specialist and are looking to become a system admin, but there are no open system admin positions, as long as you are qualified to do the work, they will convert your position to a system admin position and give you the raise that comes with that title.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and keep rewording us for the hard work we put in.

Marketing professional; various positions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible about transferring locations and working from home. Great community service - this company really does like to give back

ConsDepends on who your bosses are - some are good and some are bad. But I guess that happens everywhere you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep supporting the young professionals and be sure to promote from within - we want the opportunities!

Possibly too big to succeed?

Washington, DC

ProsSome positions are better compensated than at other firms.

ConsMy impression is in this merger-crazy time, HDR is behaving like its competition by buying smaller companies that have decent projects and high-profile clientele. One shouldn't look for a job in corporate architecture with more that 5,000-person firms the craft of architecture and engineering is what one loves about their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview whether junior and mid-level staff are promoted for good work, and check if all the VPs are producing as expected. The situation can be demoralizing and may cause the best and brightest to flee.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate culture in flux

ProsGreat benefits, good working environment. Very talented group of individuals. Employee ownership is a great incentive.

ConsCorporate politics influence most decisions made in this company. "Good 'ol boy" network sometimes takes precedence over profitability, and common sense.

A good place for a Career.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are great! Many long time employees end up feeling like we've grown up together. Tremendous depth of expertise and ability. Opportunities for growth and expansion come with proving yourself worthy.

ConsRecent managemnt changes, (losing the top of both the 'mother' company and the architecture company at the same time) has left many concerned about the future, Present leadership is focused on positioniing the company for success into the future, and that has necessitated some radical changes. Yes, 'right-sizing' the company took quite a while, too long for many and in many instances it could have been done with more compassion but I trust there were reasons for the 'slow burn' and that what was done was necessary. We now appear to be 'right sized' going forward and as the global economy recovers we should be positioned to grow again. Will we ever return to what we were? Who knows? Will any of us return to what we were pre 2008?

Frankly, anyone who had to follow two leaders that were so loved and admired would have had a difficult time even if they had simply tried to 'maintain'. It's understandable and inevitable that some would be upset.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your people, In the end, they're all you've got.

Good people and projects; missing a strong rudder

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great to work with and the projects are very interesting. Staff is extremely competent and knowledgable.

Consinstability with leadership - Senior management sometimes can't see the forest for the trees; trying to fix problems where there aren't any and missing problems where there are. "Bottom-line" is the most important factor.

It was a very good experience with a great group of people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeamwork, Freedom for creativity, Pleasant environment, I would advise anyone willing to take a position with this organization to prepare to work hard and see great results

ConsThere really isn't too many things to say. If work is slow or there is a problem with a client, that can be difficult, but its that way with any job in this career. I would suggest this company to a friend

Great company just too many layoffs....dragged out over 2 years

Seniority Doesnt Matter (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe pay is great however benefits suck!!!!

ConsIf you are not in the incrowd you will be on the next layoff list.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoost the morale in this company in spite of all the layoffs the existing employees are worried everyday.

A great place to work, great people, and provides work life balance. The culture is team based.

ProsFlexibility, Ability to learn, Mentoring is active and available, Hard work is recognized, projects are team based, Family Oriented

ConsPoor Management, Projects not very interesting, Favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementTo look beyond their own interest

One of the Best

ProsEmployee ownership, entrepenurial, solid growth, integrity, and ethics.

ConsIf your not into ownership, ethics, and integrity - go elsewhere.

Worked for HDR Architecture? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HDR Architecture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HDR Architecture CEO George A. Little. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by HDR Architecture employees.