HDR

Be The First To
Add Photos

HDR Chairman & CEO George A. Little

George A. Little

Pros
  • Employee owned, invest in employees, large enough to win exciting projects (in 13 reviews)

• Large company that can provide good benefits and good salary (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all project managers know how to manage staff (in 6 reviews)

• Large company with the accompanying inevitable large bureaucracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with some challenges and lots of growth potential

ProsLots of talented people. Entrepreneurial culture depending on where you are located. Ability to move around the company.

ConsLack of technology adoption and/or keeping pace with the changing times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure department managements are in sync with and/or working towards implementing the corporate strategic vision. Often times they are treading two separate paths leaving a lot of people in between left holding the bag not being sure about the direction.

Great Place to Work Despite Clinging to the Past

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people who care about their work. Flexible management.

ConsReluctant to move forward in working with newer technologies. Questionable management decisions.

Growing Client and Employee Focused Firm

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsWith a fantastic workforce, good business practices, great ethical standards, and helpful benefits package, HDR has a lot of policies and work/life standards that are employee focused and that encourage a sense of community in each department.
    The company has successfully grown as an employee owned firm.
    HDR has a great marketing implementation process to win work. It is effective when put into practice.
    The company is growing and with a little patience, employees can grow, and move around with the company.
    New corporate brand rollout freshened up the HDR image.
    Great training to comprehensively understand marketing in the engineering industry.
    A fair number of networking opportunities within the company and through organizations (HDR encourages all employees to join a professional organization).

ConsPTO/Vacation time is not negotiable in compensation package. Policies about work/life balance are great - but when push comes to shove (and depending what department management is overseeing the work), the job and project duties may require hefty amounts of overtime that are not requested, but expected.
    Though HDR does a lot of International work, most of the jobs are in the United States.
    Management choices are not always consistent with the company vision and mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy best and worst management experiences at HDR had to do with direct management's ability to exercise positive leadership techniques, trusting employees, and empowering them to do their work effectively - not doing the work for management, but being engaged in a project alongside each other, and receiving relevant accolades or suggestions for improvement for the work done. Growing the managers and leadership staff who can do this effectively is imperative to employee retention.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company with good, talented people.

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsInteresting projects, they treat their people well, and there's good support to pursue your career. I enjoyed the office culture in Denver, good work-life balance. The Denver office is stellar, with an excellent Department Manager in Brad Martin.

ConsPersonally, my specialty was bit spread-out, geographically, so my opportunity to develop and advance was somewhat limited. That was circumstantial, though. My sense, from talking with managerial folks, was that there were political frustrations for higher-ups. I didn't see much of that, personally. I did hear that they're cutting costs right now, so maybe changes are in the works.

Good place to work

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe stock options are great

ConsCareer opportunities for advanced placement are limited

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally great team, it was easy to work there, of course, diligence is required. They had a great program for interns, I thought.

ConsVery poor communication during the hiring process. The managers want to follow up, but it feels like the HR is poorly developed.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove HR and hiring system.

Changing markets

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsDepth of knowledge and support

ConsGrowing bureaucratic structure, and silo effect

Advice to Senior Managementcutout the happy talk and lead real change

Well Balanced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsEmployee owned, invest in employees, large enough to win exciting projects

ConsAs with most companies, sometimes management makes decisions that do not make sense to the majority of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, promote and enable them. You sell people not widgets so embrace those that make your business successful.

Was a great company

Systems Administrative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWas a great company. Was very employee oriented

ConsWas a great company, before new management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement needs to value it's employees more

Traffic Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHDR is a great company that cares about their employees. Being employee owner at all level focuses everyone to do the right things of the right reasons. There are lots of opportunities to choose your own path and specialty areas.

ConsHDR is a conservative company when growing which causes some overloading of certain areas.

Worked for HDR? Contribute to the Community!