HDR Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.8

HDR Chairman & CEO George A. Little
George A. Little

Pros
  • Employee owned; Smart creative employee's; Hard workers are rewarded (in 15 reviews)

• Large company that can provide good benefits and good salary (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all project managers know how to manage staff (in 6 reviews)

• Large company with the accompanying inevitable large bureaucracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Double standards!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at HDR full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are quite a few team building activities.

Cons

The leadership in my office was a joke - taking to many days off and promoting significant relationships to a leadership roles. This I believe is a conflict of interest and goes against company policy. Other employees were forced to look the other way, and that made for an uncomfortable workplace situation.

Since "lower" employees are reprimanded for not following company policy, then shouldn't management have the same rules? There are too many double standards in this company.

Sharp staff and high quality product

I worked at HDR

Pros

They have an excellent 401K; you'll work with some well educated folks; the projects are diversified which keeps the work interesting; and they're generous with their employee training.

Cons

You have to market yourself to other employees nationwide to contribute to their projects to stay billable. Tough to work with a manager that works in a different state.

Have managers sit in the same office as their staff.

Great company with some challenges and lots of growth potential

I have been working at HDR

Pros

Lots of talented people. Entrepreneurial culture depending on where you are located. Ability to move around the company.

Cons

Lack of technology adoption and/or keeping pace with the changing times.

Ensure department managements are in sync with and/or working towards implementing the corporate strategic vision. Often times they are treading two separate paths leaving a lot of people in between left holding the bag not being sure about the direction.

Recommended place, good people at field offices, headquarters sometimes intrusive

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Diego, CA

I worked at HDR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, smart & friendly, decent salaries, can work on interesting and important projects.

Cons

Sometimes corporate HQ wants to change what is already working fine in regional offices. Move toward centralized IT seemed heavy-handed.

Use successful regional offices as a model for other locations, not all great ideas come from HQ.

Growing Client and Employee Focused Firm

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at HDR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With a fantastic workforce, good business practices, great ethical standards, and helpful benefits package, HDR has a lot of policies and work/life standards that are employee focused and that encourage a sense of community in each department.
    The company has successfully grown as an employee owned firm.
    HDR has a great marketing implementation process to win work. It is effective when put into practice.
    The company is growing and with a little patience, employees can grow, and move around with the company.
    New corporate brand rollout freshened up the HDR image.
    Great training to comprehensively understand marketing in the engineering industry.
    A fair number of networking opportunities within the company and through organizations (HDR encourages all employees to join a professional organization).

Cons

PTO/Vacation time is not negotiable in compensation package. Policies about work/life balance are great - but when push comes to shove (and depending what department management is overseeing the work), the job and project duties may require hefty amounts of overtime that are not requested, but expected.
    Though HDR does a lot of International work, most of the jobs are in the United States.
    Management choices are not always consistent with the company vision and mission.

My best and worst management experiences at HDR had to do with direct management's ability to exercise positive leadership techniques, trusting employees, and empowering them to do their work effectively - not doing the work for management, but being engaged in a project alongside each other, and receiving relevant accolades or suggestions for improvement for the work done. Growing the managers and leadership staff who can do this effectively is imperative to employee retention.

Good company with good, talented people.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at HDR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, they treat their people well, and there's good support to pursue your career. I enjoyed the office culture in Denver, good work-life balance. The Denver office is stellar, with an excellent Department Manager in Brad Martin.

Cons

Personally, my specialty was bit spread-out, geographically, so my opportunity to develop and advance was somewhat limited. That was circumstantial, though. My sense, from talking with managerial folks, was that there were political frustrations for higher-ups. I didn't see much of that, personally. I did hear that they're cutting costs right now, so maybe changes are in the works.

Great Place to Work Despite Clinging to the Past

I worked at HDR full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people who care about their work. Flexible management.

Cons

Reluctant to move forward in working with newer technologies. Questionable management decisions.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HDR

Pros

The stock options are great

Cons

Career opportunities for advanced placement are limited

Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at HDR full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really great team, it was easy to work there, of course, diligence is required. They had a great program for interns, I thought.

Cons

Very poor communication during the hiring process. The managers want to follow up, but it feels like the HR is poorly developed.

Improve HR and hiring system.

Changing markets

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at HDR full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depth of knowledge and support

Cons

Growing bureaucratic structure, and silo effect

cutout the happy talk and lead real change