HDR Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.7

HDR Chairman & CEO George A. Little
George A. Little

Pros
  • Employee owned, invest in employees, large enough to win exciting projects (in 13 reviews)

• Large company that can provide good benefits and good salary (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not all project managers know how to manage staff (in 6 reviews)

• Large company with the accompanying inevitable large bureaucracy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company, but not all good offices.

I have been working at HDR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great opportunity for growth if you find yourself under the right project managers and supervisors, and are lucky to work on some of the great projects. Employee ownership and overall benefits are a great bonus to this company.

Cons

The past few years the Architecture company has suffered. Some managers/supervisors are not as invested in their younger staff as others, and require more persistence in mentoring when you have carreer goals. Others tend to micromanage and when they tell you they want to see you grow you believe them until they suppress your opportunities by constantly taking over your projects. Unrealistic project deadlines are also a very common theme around here.

Continue to invest in your employees ideas, careers, education, and learning opportunities. Build morale and reward employees (aka: employee owners) for the work they do, and the time they invest in the company.
    Focus on the internal stability and growth, as well as acquiring solid projects for your employees to work on, instead of focusing on acquisitions of other companies.

Good people, good environment and good pay

I have been working at HDR

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

not much chance to learn different things

A large firm with a small firms commitment to service and client satisfaction.

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Excellent and responsive technical resources throughout the company.
    Good place for young engineers and scientists to grow professionally.
    Employee owned with a good return on investment.

Cons

Project initiation and management process is geared to large projects. Small projects take a lot of effort to get off the ground.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company overall but not for IT

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at HDR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly profitable, employee ownership, stable, good pay

Cons

croneyism, too political, lack of direction in IT, no IT career path

Hire a CIO that actually knows about IT and that provides vision. I have never worked in an IT department that is so disorganized.

OK

Former Employee - Substation Project Engineer  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Substation Project Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HDR full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were a lot of interesting and unique projects that you get to work on, many of which you wouldn't have the opportunity unless you worked at a consulting firm. Pay was average for a consulting firm.

Cons

Layoffs are always a concern when working at a consulting firm. While I personally did not experience this it is demoralizing to see others get the boot all the same. It was also very difficult to get completely involved with the project given that you are typically only involved with the design of the project. I have always been a person that likes to do the design and help implement it in the field. This is not a reflection on HDR specifically more of a generalization of most engineering firms as a whole.

Take your lead engineers advice on hiring younger engineers more seriously. They are the ones that will have to mentor them throughout the next several years.

Experiences Vary

I worked at HDR full-time

Pros

Fair compensation, benefits, hiring process through HQ was excellent. Majority of coworkers were great to work with. Projects can be interesting to work on, when they have projects to work on.

Cons

Seeking an innovative, collaborative environment? Inspirational management? Be careful which office/department you end up working in. Some are behind the technology and system efficiencies curve. High overhead limits competitiveness. Parochial local management.

Extremely rewarding internship to see all aspects of the company

Former Employee - Chemical Engineering Intern  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Chemical Engineering Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at HDR as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They give you real work to do as an intern and not just busy work. They also are a very professional but casual company and value each and every employee.

Cons

During my internship, I was not always busy with project work because I would have to wait for our clients to get back to us. During this down time, I wish I could have had more tasks to complete.

Engineer

I have been working at HDR full-time

Pros

Nice location, great people there

Cons

Computer work.. Fragmented group departments

Great company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at HDR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Growth opportunity, great people, complex projects, reimbursement of exam fees, exam material available, Toastmaster's, Young Professionals mentoring group, study groups

Cons

Lack of work, downsizing of office, and constant worry of job security.

Painful place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at HDR as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Some good folks work there. I wouldn't wish anything bad on these people and I hope that they have a good career.

Cons

Management likes to drink. I was shocked at the negative things that management will say about their employees when they've been drinking or even when sober. Don't work here if you've ever been bullied, abused, etc. because it is part of the culture.

Have some respect for your workers. When you say something bad about an employee not only is that defamation but you are setting an example for impressionable employees. The end result finger pointing and information hoarding.

Worked for HDR? Contribute to the Community!