HEI Hospitality

Anthony Rutledge

Great IT Department

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I worked at HEI Hospitality as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is a small team of great hard working IT professionals who work well as a team supporting over 1200+ end users. They are even involved in corporate softball, and you truly get the sense they care about your well being. it was a great opportunity and I valued my time there.

Cons

No negative reviews. I left when a family member passed away, and rather then informing the company, I just sat shiva for a week in honor of my grandmother. I don't blame them for letting them go, my lack of communication gave them no choice.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Definitely changing day by day not the company I once knew . Let me tell you my story and you take it from there !

Current Employee - Bartender in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Is that the management from corporate are awsome to work with ! they do treat you with respect and they arent your typical management team that you have to walk on eggshells to please them .they are very down to earth. and its always a pleasure to see them they arent your typical corporate team that nic pic on every little thing infact they are the total opposite. They are eager to offer constructive criticism and always thankful for the work you do for them.

Cons

The politics still exist though our location they shut down to renovate . So we were all told we would have to seek employment else where or transfer out to another location although they assisted us in doing so ! In which thought was nice.! We were told that we would have to reapply when renovation was done. So I tranferd to another property because I thoroughly enjoyed working for HEI not thinking that it would be an hour and 45 min from the hospital my mom is residing in at this time. not to mention that I pay 13.00 dollars a day for parking.. my mom who developed pancreatic cancer during my employment with HEI . the commute from work to hospital was really taking its toll on me and still is. but I never let it affect my work or performance .Im the type of person that work is work my problems are left outside the door when I approach the hotel and during my hours of work and picked back up when when I leave the hotel. my family and I were told that there wasnt much more they could do for my mom and that she would be moved to hospice which was literally 2 min from my old location . Now mind you I have been employed with HEI for 1 year have a great performance review no write ups . So I Decided to put transfer papers in to go back to old location to be closer to my mom . because we all know that each day is crutial and every moment counts .I was initially told that I couldn't transfer because I have to stay at the current property for 6 month to 1 year by human resources then I was told I was eligible to transfer .so I put in my transfer papers and called my old human resource director she told me that she didnt recieve my transfer. Then she calls me back to set a interview with the new f & B director who is the current manager of the the restaurant im working in now ! the interview was a botched interview we all know that the procedures are you see the manager then human resources and gm . None of that was done I saw the manger to be on friday and was just called by human resources that the position was filled when she knew the position was already filled I sincerely hope that their moms are all in good health and they dont ever have to go through what I have gone through in the last 4 months. im not bitter not hurt just very much dissapointed that HEI would let their own down . Its definitely an experience and a heavy punch in the gut. but nevertheless I will continue to give my best and perform my duties at the highest level and expectations .

To bring the loyalty and honesty back that HEI once had for their people after all is said and done we are the ones that make the scores and bring the revenue. Just like you all have expectations for us we have the same for you all. Most importantly we all have a comon bound

Favoritism and Lack of Support

Current Employee - In Sales Department
    Current Employee - In Sales Department

I have been working at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunch and parking, not too much micromanaging depending on department

Cons

Higher ups show favoritism, some employees get away with being lazy while you work hard, don't allow overtime resulting in stress to finish tasks during shift, don't get sick days until after 1 year, there is lots of turnover and always seem to be understaffed, asked to do tasks outside of job description so you can pick up slack from other lazy employees, hard to move up unless you are MIT or willing to move wherever, management gives illusion of "caring" for hourly employees

recognize those who do work hard and reward them and in turn discipline those who don't do their job and are only there because of seniority, make pay more competitive to market

supervisor

I worked at HEI Hospitality full-time

Pros

lots of overtime due to short staffed, a plus if you are hourly. not so much if salaried

Cons

short staffed, all the time!

Decent Management/Owner

I have been working at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good bonus potential as a sales manager

Cons

Access to upper management was non exsistant

Continuous opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

After a number of years, I have seen numerous individuals advance from line level to management and even EC positions. Constant growth requires constant talent. N

Cons

Understand when an asset has met its full potential in expenses, then focus on revenue generation.

Continue to grow the portfolio under the leadership of the the new CEO to maintain solid managers

Definite job for hard-headed, rhino-skinned and business or hotel management business majors.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at HEI Hospitality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free hotel parking, free lunch (which is mostly just OK, definitely not gourmet), growth to move around and up if you work hard and play tough. 401k & benefits are nice after 60 days. Performance reviews every 6 months, can be rewarded for going above and beyond amongst your team and with guests.

Cons

Hours are awful, usually you have the option of a 6am-2pm shift, 2pm-11pm shift, or graveyard. The front desk is pretty much the beating bag of the hotel industry. You will be accused of anything that goes wrong, even though the root of the problem is in a different department. Can be very high stress, dealing with irate guests in your face, must be able to keep a calm demeanor.

Make sure everyone is on the same page, better communication, listening to employees concerns and problems, and better willingness to help each other as a team.

"Don't quit your day job"

Former Employee - In-Room Dining Server in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - In-Room Dining Server in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at HEI Hospitality part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working hotel allowed for diverse range of communication, interaction, and in some cases, even network with guests.

The early shifts allows for one to enjoy the rest of the day or even work a second job.

Cons

Your pay really depends on how many orders you get. No orders = minimum waged pay.
    Although the hours allowed for one to have the day off the clock, it did not have much room for a night {social} life.

Learn more about the departments and their current issues & needs.

A company of values...

I worked at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HEI values their employees and fosters an environment that is enjoyable to work in. I enjoyed going to work each day. I had the tools needed to do my job.

Cons

Sometimes strategies and plans are too generalized in a "one size, fits all" mentality.

Understand that each of the hotels is a unique entity. While something might be successful in one hotel or market, it doesn't automatically guarantee success in another.

HEI

Former Employee - DOPS
    Former Employee - DOPS

I worked at HEI Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensations was good as well as the benefits. I enjoyed the staff I worked with.

Cons

Regional managers were not very good