HEILBrice Advertising

1 Rating

Work hard.....Play hard

Former Employee - Creative Department in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Department in Irvine, CA

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mentors with lots of support and opportunity if you're ready for it. This is a fun company who is way ahead of it's time. The owners truly care about their employees and Doris in HR goes out of her way to resolve any benefit issues. This is a first class company who I was very lucky to land a job with.

Cons

You have to work hard, but you should if you want this to be your career. Most people don't make it past the first two years, but if they do, they're here for life!

Keep it up, stay progressive and continue making your employees feel like they are part of the HeilBrice family!

Has the potential to be a great company...

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

-Very friendly, professional and welcoming staff
    -Artistic office space (for being cubicles)
    -Full kitchen
    -Good location
    -Strong sense of family within the company

Cons

-Both of the 'CEO's', this company would prosper if they were both completely absent altogether
    -Are you an advertising agency or a cellular radiation awareness company?
    -If on the account side, be prepared to find a needle in the haystack 'just because' and also for personal errands for the 'CEO's'
    -If on the creative side, if the client is happy with your work one of the 'CEO's' won't be and vice versa
    -Refuse to invest in trying to acquire new business
    -Poor benefits (no dental, minimal vacation days and holidays)
    -Sink or swim mentality
    -Very corporate environment for being an advertising agency
    -If you leave a dish in the sink, one of the CEO's will scold you over the intercom (no joke)

Stop getting in the way of the company succeeding! Your personal chores, housekeeping and side businesses should not come before the business. Learn from your mistakes, don't keep on making them. With the exit of two people, the sky is the limit for this company.

Satisfying work with a quality organization

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

No job is 100% perfect, but my experience at HEILBrice has been nothing short of a solid professional and personal move. It is probably worth mentioning that this is actually my second stint at HEILBrice after an internship with them a few years ago (if that tells you anything), and as soon as I came back I suddenly realized all that I had taken for granted as an intern here, and, ultimately, came to miss as an employee at other companies, that is: a pervasive familial atmosphere, extremely friendly coworkers (within hours of meeting them I already felt like I was a "part of the gang"), and a culture of success and encouragement where everyone's opinion is equal---really! In sum, a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes the intimate atmosphere can mean occasional overlap in responsibilities (which may or may not be a good thing), but for me this has been good because I have been able to acquire a more detailed understanding of the ENTIRE marketing process, which I will appreciate more and more as I move up the ladder. Also, if for whatever reason you don't get along with one of your coworkers, that still represents a pretty hefty ratio of people you're not crazy about at work.

HEILBrice is a great place to work and the employees are a great bunch of people. Fun office environment.

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

Plenty of room for growth within the agency. If you are an honest, hard working individual you will be rewarded with promotions. The agency has a great team working very well together for their clients best interest. The company takes care of their employees expenses incurred for travel, work, etc. They offer their employees a few weeks off and are very respectful of family time.

Cons

Not many food choices around the office, need to go a few miles out to find good food. But with the in-house gourmet chef, it makes up for the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. Small office feeling can be tough if you aren't getting along with someone in the office.

Benefits are the one issue I see, but its very hard for a small agency to offer the greatest benefits. There might be ways to make up for what you can't provide by giving employees a work from home day or something of the sort.

Nice People and Atmosphere

Current Employee - Office Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

The people in the office are friendly. Everyone in the office works together for the success of the company. We have good relationships past and present with both clients and vendors alike.
     It is a fun and friendly work environment. The guests coming into the company often comment on the hip and fun atmosphere of the company.
    The management is understanding of personal appts etc and we often make good food in our 5 star kitchen. Overall it is a nice place to be!

Cons

The environment is high stress at times but also high energy. The company moved which makes it a longer commute for me.

it still is a beautiful life.

Current Employee - Vice-President, Operations in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Vice-President, Operations in Irvine, CA

I have been working at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

Great work is produced through sheer hard work and collaborative efforts by everyone at the agency- including the vendors that we have carefully selected to partner with. The open door policy which the agency adopted from it's humble beginnings to the powerhouse it has become remains true to this day. One can freely walk-in to anyone's office to talk about a project or savor the latest concoction coming from the full service kitchen.

Cons

Lack of time to do everything is a fact of life for everyone working in the ad industry. Anyone who comes up with a solution to this problem will achieve overnight stardom faster than Jason Russell. Until then- we rely on our team mates who are all willing to walk the extra mile.

SOLVANG! Let's indulge everyone to the peace and tranquility of the ranch to celebrate our success and our strength as a team. As the saying goes, all work and no play..........

Gave a lot to get very little

Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

If you like a 'family' atmosphere, this place has that. It's run by a family, but that very rarely translates to feeling like you are part of a family. It's more a feeling of being watched and them just waiting for a reason to chew you out.

Cons

Completely led by a ready, fire, aim mentality. Strategy and process are back burned by profit and gain. I constantly felt like we were doing wrong by our clients, but was terrified to speak up.

Please start being more gracious, merciful and respecting of your team as people and as sources of ideas. Stop treating people as objects and as more than just a replaceable resource. HEILBrice is not a BIG ad agency and hardly any of the people I know who have worked for you wouldn't return if they had the chance, no matter if they magically started making a reasonable salary from you.

I still have nightmares when I think of this place...

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

- Attractive and modern looking office
    - Feels friendly
    - Good location
    - Current Technology
    - Casual corporate attire allowed

Cons

- Very stingy pay
    - Getting a review was difficult...and when you finally got one, it seemed like they gave you a whole bunch of inaccurate improvements just so they didn't need to promote/reward you
    - Management was very untrustworthy and overly demanding
    - The management was family and, as a result, extremely biased
    - No training...sink or swim
    - Made you demand unrealistic things from people outside of the office based on who they thought they were

Actually work on nurturing your employees instead of always putting so much emphasis on making it "appear" like a fun and fabulous place to work.

What you see is NOT what you get.

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

High level of technology - really on the cutting edge. Amazingly nice kitchen. Brand new building - very clean and kept very nice.

Cons

Owners are impossible. Their way or the highway. Benefits are terrible (I've worked at several agencies and the ones here are the worst I've had). Don't expect a raise anytime, pretty tight-fisted, even if you help win some nice media spends.

Listen to your employees ideas more. Say thank you, and mean it. It's not up to your employees to make it a family atmosphere (even though they've done a good job creating their own world inside of the agency that you aren't aware of). Don't use fear, insults or spying - it doesn't create any trust. Keep up the good creative though, you've at least got that going for you.

Small Private Company - - You Come to Expect Certain Things

Former Employee - Account Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at HEILBrice Advertising

Pros

-Family-like
    -Understand work/life balance
    -Can be a leader since there are not that many people between you and senior management
    -Make changes

Cons

-Family-like = politics
    -Sometimes a bit too preachy/religious
    -Very "on a whim" decision making from senior management

Either be more less involved, but don't come in after much work has already been done and try to change things!