HELP USA Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
1.5

CEO

A rewarding experience. Helping people rebuild their lives is one of the greatest contribution one can make.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at HELP USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The field of social work gives the sense of a calling and enhance one's life experience. The leadership was inspiring and
    with the added benefit of feeling altruistic.

Cons

The training was comprehensive and the compensation adequate. Perks were of no consequence as this was not a for profit organization.

Improve on the interpersonal skills of the supporting staff, like safety and housekeeping as they are the back bones of the organization.

Sad culture of favoritism & politics

I worked at HELP USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Central office in accessible location & some people are good to work with. Paycheck arrives on time. You get health insurance if you stay long enough

Cons

People (esp. higher ups) come here to add to their resume & few care about the mission or clients or staff. Consultants, managers, directors & VPs throw other people under the bus everyday to get ahead or keep board members happy. Favoritism keeps unqualified & lazy people employed so some directors at central office have a full staff turnover rate of < 1 year. leaders start fires for people to put out instead of carrying out Help's mission. Central office ignores sites until there's something can look bad in a newspaper.

Benefits don't start until 6 months or 1 year after hiring so make sure you have a backup plan for insurance. HR policy is no merit based raises but this may not apply to SVP's.

People leave managers, not companies...if someone cant keep staff more than a few months year after year it's not the staff that's bad at their jobs.

A non-profit for veterans that needs to be restructured

Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Director in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at HELP USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Able to help many veterans get off the street, back into the work force or into affordable housing.

Cons

Three of the executive directors before 2013 stole money and equipment from the company. This was because New York management treated the Las Vegas sites as the "step child" of the company and only seemed to care when they believed they would get bad press when things went wrong. Good employees were swept aside for political reasons.

Put your political BS aside and realize that some of the employees were and are dedicated to the cause. Don't wait another ten years to recognize the good and remove the bad.

Dismal place to work

Former Employee - Housing Specialist in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Housing Specialist in Bronx, NY

I worked at HELP USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits are pretty good, many sites, promotes from within

Cons

no managerial support, people survive the work day by ignoring each other, no orientation or proper training given to new staff, manager's show lots of bias

build up the staff's moral ASAP, give manager's diversity training

HelpUSA

Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Housing Specialist in Bronx, NY

I have been working at HELP USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is not stressful

Cons

no benefits, no raise, no security, no support.

n/a

Holy law breaking batman

I have been working at HELP USA

Pros

They will hire just about anyone as long as you can pass a drug test. If you need a job and can string a few words together, you're in.

They also do not discriminate against those with criminal records, some of my favorite coworkers are ex-cons.

Cons

The day I actually get paid properly will hell will freeze over and pigs will take flight. They take advantage of the fact that the lower on the rung a person is, the less likely they will go up the chain of command to be treated correctly.

The payroll system is prone to being manipulated to punish people who are not in the light of favor from management. I have seen time and time again people simply not getting paid for 8-16 even 24 hours that they have actually worked. [oh they didn't do this or that, or they didn't clock in or out properly so we're just not going to pay them] vacation time, sick time and personal time not being credited properly.

When I try to follow up I'm brushed off and am forced to tell whoever is missing money that they need to go further on their own since my position does not give me much power to do anything.

I'm on my way out and am finding out more and more about how they handle people... when things finally come to a head, there is going to be a whole lot of money that cannot be accounted for.

Donations that never make it to clients

Building codes violated left and right... it's a running joke.

I even had a fire start under my desk due to exposed wiring that even a child could tell you is not right.

Stop thinking that you are above the law. you may be getting away with it now but when the hammer finally falls there are going to be a lot of people who are finally coming back for what you owe them.

It may seem a small thing to you, but it's like living in a modern day world that resembles the world depicted in "The Jungle", employee abuse galore.

Run Away

I worked at HELP USA full-time

Pros

Something to add to your resume

Cons

High turnover rate due to the horrible culture, horrible management, long hours, little compensation or room for growth

Company should really spend money hiring people that know what they're doing

Worst place for IT personnel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at HELP USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

getting to know the staff.

Cons

non-existent IT senior leadership, lack of training / refusal to support training, negative management environment, no user ownership/ responsibility for issues, no technology foresight, reactive, band-aid approach to support - fix nothing, justify what you didn't fix- just get it working.

To the executive officers:

Your IT vp is a joke and your staff knows the punchline. Shame on you all for allowing that individual to remain in control of IT. She is unprofessional, uncommunicative, ignorant and un-knowledgeable. She makes you look bad, so the question to ask is WHY you allow her to keep her job.

To IT executive Management:

Learn the business of IT, instead of over-reacting to emails that reach you, so as to seem like you are on top of matters. Guess what, EVERYONE knows you know squat about how to execute your duties- even the administrative ones. Even the Desktop support mgr and Network admin absolutely REFUSE to allow you to touch the email server and the Khronos system, your baby, is completely screwed up.

Learn to handle issues in a rational, adult manner, not as if you are a hispanic hoodrat fighting in the street.

Getting respect is more than just yelling and you usually don't know what you are talking about. Support your staff and keep them happy because they all hate you. No, they won't say it but they do.

Lastly, learn to plan. Hurricane Sandy cut communications for most of the companies near Hanover Sq, yet two weeks later, they were all back up, EXCEPT HelpUSA. Do you realize that that is a fire-able offense in any other company? I have no idea what you do to justify you position but you do it well because you certainly can't run an IT dept.

Non-profit hell

I worked at HELP USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work casual dress code, laid back atmosphere, helping the homeless / at risk people and families

Cons

Unprofessional environment, politically charged / territorial, lacks managerial oversight, irresponsible project deployment, avoidance of responsibilities in job ownership.

Do more and watch the staff. Have people be accountable for their work by addressing issues when they happen, not days or weeks later. Dissuade personnel from keeping issues hidden by holding them responsible when daily/ monthly work or projects are not completed. Be proactive and reactive to problems that arise and work with all departments/ sites, not just your own.

The Client Deserve Better

Current Employee - Case Manager in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Bronx, NY

I have been working at HELP USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After completing a 6 month probation period, the personal time is decent.

I learned many things while working here but I do not plan on returning.

Cons

There have been many cuts in budget therefore, the employees and clients suffer tremendously. The company is definitely based off of favoritism. You have to know the right people in order to have a decent experience while working at HELP.

At my site, the management was horrible. There was no support from management. You are given many tasks at the same time and not enough time to complete them. The expectations they have are unrealistic.

The turnover rate is high. It seems that those employees who do nothing are rewarded and those who actually do their job are threatened with write ups. The “good” employees are all looking for a way out while the “bad” employees have gotten so comfortable they have no intention of leaving.

The pay is low compared to other social service organizations.

Clean house.