HERE Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.9

CEO

Lots of good, a little too much bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HERE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent given the work, and there's always opportunities for overtime, but it's never required. Benefits could not be better. They really do invest in their employees.
    The office atmosphere is laid back and we usually have some sort of TV on (usually CNN but sometimes sports)
    Never had a problem getting a day off when needed.
    Some co-workers are amazing and light up the office.
    Management is excellent, if a little hidden sometimes.
    Job changes every day. Some days are challenging, others are a breeze.

Cons

Excellent work goes unappreciated and terrible work doesn't get reprimanded. You'll come into work and find whoever worked the desk before you botched something, and nobody says anything about it. I find motivation in that I love what I do, and that's why I always work hard. However, many people here don't have that philosophy. And when work doesn't go appreciated, I can't really blame them. It's always a little disheartening when you go above and beyond only to be put in the same box as someone who comes in and clocks out 8 hours later. Some people have been working here over 10 years and are in the exact same boat as someone with a couple months experience.

Morale is low and to the company's credit, they tried doing a survey to see what was wrong, but in doing so created a bureaucratic nightmare of answers and solutions, and nothing got solved, in fact a couple things got worse. They used to have an employee of the month, but it was discontinued because it turned into a popularity contest

Shifts can be a con. It's a 24/7 environment where morning shifts start between 4 and 7am, afternoons between 12pm and 8, and overnights between 8pm and 11. We all knew this when we started working here, but that doesn't stop 90% of people complaining about it.

We are a tech company, yet our equipment breaks constantly and there's nothing more frustrating than not being able to do your job because of inferior technology.

I do love the company culture and want to stay here as long as I can, but from my position it seems next to impossible to move up into anything outside our department. Maybe if people were rated properly it would be easier to spot the talent that is most certainly there. There was supposed to be sessions where we could network and shadow with other departments, but in the last several months I haven't heard anything about it and at this point I think was just an empty promise.

This review I realize is a lot more negative than positive, but I assure you the pros do outweigh the cons here. I just wish there were easier answers to these cons then "let's create a committee to come up with 5 answers to them, we'll pick one to vote on, and then the team leader will meet with management to draw up a new policy that will be implemented in six months, and discontinued two months later".

Actually criticize your employees work, how are we supposed to grow if bad work is treated just like good work?

Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at HERE full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance. No micro management and very friendly working environment. Also great technology.

Cons

Operationally it could be more efficient as some process and systems are outdated. Also having a few "silos", with teams working on their own.

Good company, nice workmate

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HERE full-time for less than a year

Pros

good work-life balance, nice location, friendly workmate, free coffee, tea and fruit.

Cons

salary is lower than east and west coast.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

I have been working at HERE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company spends money on innovation and learning, employees are encouraged to explore, design and innovate. You work with the latest technology, products getting better and better. People are great, management is supportive and listens to ideas and feedback. Good benefits (good vacation time, decent medical, dental and vision insurance), raises and bonuses low, but we still get them...

Cons

Some areas are tough to work in due to management being too attached to old management styles. Managers in these areas are afraid to take risks and invest in aggressive projects. WFH not encouraged regardless of the evidence that people actually work harder when being remote. Some managers are still stuck in the old management style (micromanaging). It is not clear what you need to do to get promoted since career paths are not clearly identified and documented. You get different answers from different managers...

Encourage innovation and allocate more budget for training and learning, so all employees can attend at least one conference and 40 hrs of training per year. Keep communications channels open and allow people to work remotely on a regular basis - you can easily see what people are working on when being remote, trust your employees and show them you care!

Friendly for mediocre, terrible for the better employees

I have been working at HERE full-time for less than a year

Pros

With negative overall work environment it is difficult think about positives. People are suppressed and depressed. No smiling, no small talks, no thanks.

Cons

People are assigned to roles they are not qualified for. No training provided. Then as soon as in 3-4 months they become familiar with the roles, they are given another opportunity where they are again not qualified. Therefore it is none stop none qualified environment to work in. In addition every one tells about every one that they do not like to work with each other. Plus, today one guy just openly lied about another guy.

Great technology and potential, but execution is absymal, falling further behind competition

I have been working at HERE full-time

Pros

Good technology, innovation still happening in pockets, good engineering resources

Cons

Lots of overhead, inefficiency, lack of clear direction from senior management.
    Very political and protecting one's turf - most groups are afraid about job security.

Need to get rid of many senior management who are not in touch with the latest technologies.
    Desperately needs measures to remain competitive with Google and others

Great people, risk-averse management

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at HERE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+Smart, friendly people to work with and learn from
    +One of the few big tech companies in Chicago
    +Posh, relatively new office with a recent emphasis to provide games/fun activities for employees

Cons

-Constant reminder that the competition is out-innovating
    -Prefers other companies disrupting its business rather than self-cannibalizing and finding ways to win
    -Management is very risk-averse and isn't willing to take any bold steps to win in the marketplace
    -Tied down by bureaucracy (e.g., HR forms/checklists, ineffective goal management program, relatively slow promotion of talent)
    -Lack of integrated ERP system leads to ad-hoc & ineffective report requests from middle managers who want to answer business questions
    -Somewhat convoluted Sales process

1) Disrupt your own business instead of allowing competitors to disrupt
    2) Critically evaluate internal forms/bureaucracy and eliminate anything that doesn't provide significant value 3) Retain talent by keeping salary competitive and providing a clear path to promotion

Been going downhill for several years now

I have been working at HERE

Pros

Definitely the best co-workers ever, great work flexibility, very good benefits, good time off

Cons

Recently began rating employees in a bell curve. We were told this is supposed to create competition among employees. Why do they think this is a good idea!?! The only things this has accomplished are demoralization, apathy and intense dissatisfaction in the job and workplace and a strong message that one's extra efforts are meaningless.
    In addition many employees-some working a decade or more with the company- are significantly below mid pay range and some not even within the range!!
    The extent and rate of change has been spectacularly absurd. Every single aspect of every single thing we do and every tool and function has changed and continues to change. Changes are constantly changed. And then changed again. It is absolutely & ridiculously impossible to keep up.
    It seems that there is a new upper or middle management position created and announced at least quarterly if not monthly, while the parade of company re-orgs is endless.
    Our software tools are constantly failing and it seems like the same issues plague us over and over again. Seems ridiculous for a high tech company.

I applaud the effort of employee surveys and creating teams to address the biggest issues but the biggest issues fall squarely on upper management - rendering the resolutions we can determine & implement weak at best, futile at worst.
    You say you care about employees but then you literally say "there's the door if you don't like it".
    Curb the constant change - it is not always good, especially at this pace.
    Listen to your employees - most of them have been doing this a long time and have relevant input. Don't ask and then ignore it all.
    Invest in employee salaries - you have increased job pay ranges yet many employees - many working a decade or more- are well below mid range or not even WITHIN their designated range! You will continue to lose amazing people if you don't begin offering a competitive wage and meaningful advancement opportunities.

Things keep getting worse

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at HERE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with are amazing. The PTO, 401K, medical benefits and work flexibility are great.

Cons

We are being paid below or at the minimum salary range even after a decade with the company. We rate people on a bell curve and not on what an employee really contributes. I don't know if Upper Management is disconnected from what is going on or if they just don't care, but things keep getting worse.

Listen and take action to make this a better place to work. Pay people appropriately within their pay range. When you don't the message you send is that you just don't care.

New HERE same Old Nokia Management

Former Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at HERE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, new ideas and good work life. The younger Engineers can learn a lot to take where they will really be happy to a place where they will grow and be promoted. The Traffic and Connected Driving division has newer blood and is growing, where as the older Core Map side has young tallent waiting for direction. Agile Methodology is supported from the middle down, but the same old Directors from Navteq slow growth.

Cons

Senior Management can't be trusted to follow what they preach and they still grade all talent on the old bell curve. That explains why their best and brightest eventually move on.

Try Hearing what HERE employees have to say and stop allowing HR to mandate the old bell curve talent evaluations.

Worked for HERE? Contribute to the Community!