HESS International Educational Group

CEO

Positive work environment

Current Employee - NST
    Current Employee - NST

I have been working at HESS International Educational Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My branch was well organized and balanced. I was only at one branch and had good hours and stable classes. The staff was a lot of fun and I was also called to sub at other branches often.

Cons

For me, I would not want to work there long term because of the constant turnover. It was good for a short term, post college job.

Decent Support, Lots of Bait and Switch

Current Employee - English Teacher
    Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at HESS International Educational Group (less than a year)

Pros

Training and support on arrival, helps total rookies. Pay is OK.

Cons

Bait and switch on promised location, unnecessary amount of stress from short training period. Inconsistent training methods between central and local branches and dysfunctional teacher support at some branches. Burns out beginners with long hours.

Not a great place to work

I worked at HESS International Educational Group

Pros

Entry-level position. Doesn't require experience. Gives you free training. Picks you up at the airport. They don't discriminate against ABCs.

Cons

Your co-teachers will generally act as if they were your bosses. You will work very hard for very little money. High turnover, as you can get better jobs elsewhere once you have some experience. Very little control over teaching style or methods. Keeps you from quitting by having a high monetary penalty for leaving before contract expires. Expect to work Saturday mornings too.

This is their business model. They expect high-turnover and a continuous stream of new employees. However, they could at least look at modern research for language acquisition and try to make their teaching methods more effective and not based so much on mindless repetition.

Big company. Relatively easy system. Potential to work lots of hours easily but need to get lucky with branch.

Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Taoyuan (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Taoyuan (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in a small town with fairly relaxed managers and small classes. I was able to take on a lot of hours because of this and by the end of the year, could do 32 hours teaching with only about 8 hours of prep/marking/reports. The town was dirt cheap and the taxes were low so I ended up saving quite a bit. The starting salary is below average but the streamlined system means less unpaid hours prepping/marking.

Cons

My co-trainees in the cities didn't fare quite as well. Their classes were big and their managers and co-workers often gave them more pressure. Plus, expenses are much higher as well and it's hard to work lots of hours when your classes are big. In the end, I think luck played a big role in my experience. I chose cities as my placements but ended up in the mountains but it worked out great.

While I understand the difficulty of having to deal with so many new teachers all the time, make sure they get enough time and room to grow and adjust to the HESS system. I had a relatively easy assignment and I was close to burning out in the first few months.

Not a great experience

I worked at HESS International Educational Group

Pros

You get an orientation to Taiwan and teaching ESL. How valuable the training will come to be is for you to decide. It definitely helped in regards to teaching the little ones. However, kids in double digit age brackets were very demotivated and difficult to teach due to the rigid/monotonous/shoddy curriculum.

Cons

*Angry cohort teachers (underpaid)
    *The lessons are not as easy to plan as you're lead to believe
    *Pay issues (frequently)
    *Rigid/monotonous/poorly-constructed curricula
    *Low morale among teachers/older students

Find a way to inspire children instead of making money off of their parents.

Good experience if you're flexible and lucky.

Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Native Speaking Teacher in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company with a lot of support in terms of training, peer reviews, etc. Curriculum is plentiful, straightforward, and relatively well-designed. There is always subbing opportunities which means you can load up on hours. Starting pay is low but goes up to above average if you stay on board for a while.

Cons

Management is inconsistent at best. Each branch is its own little world, so your experience often comes down to luck depending on which branch you are placed at. Low salary to start off, and you have little choice on which classes you take.

Better management - power-hungry teachers are often the ones who get promoted because they're the only ones willing to do the job. It often leads to managers overstepping their responsibilities and abuse of power.

Inadequate at best.

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Tainan (Taiwan)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Tainan (Taiwan)

I have been working at HESS International Educational Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You'll be capable of having a guaranteed job. If you require start-up capital, they provide you with an optional interest free loan. Minimum of 20-ish hours a week.

Cons

Training often feels pointless and as if they could email you. They rarely answer questions adequately. Branches are run separately. Some questionable ethics regarding working conditions. Improper materials because of copyright law, while they are okay ignoring national laws for foreign workers. Repetitive, brainless, and dull. Students are often as uninterested in the lessons as you are. Lower than average pay for teaching.

Increase compensation for all employees, provide functional training, actually utilise the talents of trained teachers (rather than boring us into oblivion with curriculum that honestly teaches very little).

Negative experience

Former Employee - Native English Speaker in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Native English Speaker in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- For the most part, friendly Chinese teacher cohorts that are willing to help you out and show you the ropes
    - Week-long training on how to teach Hess's provided curriculum
    - Structured curriculum ensured there was always a lesson plan to follow

Cons

- High turnover rate of teachers
    - Poor management at my branch, all they seemed to be interested in was how to make or attract more money
    - Management at my branch wasn't particularly interested in working with the Native Speaking Teachers (NST), they expected a lot out of NSTs (working over time and developing programs with little to no resources, support, or much advanced notice) but never reciprocated their appreciation
    - Since this is a business first and foremost, the focus of the organization is on money, not the quality of teaching --> I often felt uncomfortable passing kids in my classes that weren't prepared for the next level but was compelled to do so because parents would be unhappy customers otherwise
    - Pay is a lot lower than many other schools

Hire management that's actually interested in the quality of education that's being provided instead of focusing on how to make more money for the branch so that it can win awards and recognition and the annual banquet.

A stable job but gets repetitive after a while.

Former Employee - English Teacher in Taichung (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Taichung (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to follow curriculum. Generally pleasant work colleagues. Opportunity for progression.

Cons

Becomes repetitive. Many students are overworked, so that are demotivated. Some colleagues are too hands on.

Be kinder to your people.

Great experience

Former Employee - English Teacher in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Taipei (Taiwan)

I worked at HESS International Educational Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome pay, coupled with Taiwan's low cost of living, it was very easy to get by. My co-teachers were a lot of fun and fellow English Teachers were great.

Cons

Sometimes felt a bit mismanaged, I would sometimes be called in or asked to teach something within the next day or two without any prep.

Communicate with the teachers a little better and you'll hang onto them.

HESS International Educational Group Photos