HEW Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated April 10, 2014
Updated April 10, 2014

2.0

Kathleen O. Geary

I had great time working there

Former Employee - Head Teller  in  Skyline Crest, VA
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Skyline Crest, VA

I worked at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

the hours where great and nice are to work at

Cons

parking was always hard to find

the worst place ever

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

it was a paycheck an that is it

Cons

I was a manager at this company and its not just the Sr. Management. It also is the other department managers. These are 40 and 50 year olds who act childish. I served in various positions within this Credit Union and once I reached management the B.S. started. I was advised by the EVP how the other managers felt, so I knew their objections going in. I did not have nor feel the support of my peers.
    This place has major issues and I no longer cared about the credit union after my peers tried to tell me that I was wrong when I mentioned that we had a very large turnover and that we needed to work to retain our employees instead of firing them for every little thing. I advised them that staff needed to build a rapport with members and was told by the other managers that that word was over used and it did not matter. Building a rapport is how you better identify the members needs especially when members can have 2 or 3 credit unions that they deal with. The members are going to go where they have a better relationship and know the staff. I sat in a staff meeeting while we did role play and the senario was that a MSR was helping someone who was a beneficiary on an account. I stated that the employee could have suggested to the beneficiary that they were eligibal for an account and everyone yelled "no its too soon"
    including the managers and then they wonder why they don't grow as a credit union. They always say think outside of the box but I guess in never dawned on them that the person infront of them may be unbanked and not have an account, need an additional account for tax purposes or to divided any funds. I felt like not asking the person was a disservice to the person and to the credit union. Furthermore if you can't say "Mrs. Jones "I am going to include this membership application with your paperwork and again I am very sorry for your loss then you don't need to be in this business.

wrap it up and close the doors.

Head Teller

Former Employee - Head Teller  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Falls Church, VA

I worked at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

The Falls church branch hours was good.

Cons

I felt that I'm nothing to them, even I came with years of banking experience before I worked for them, the CU culture isn't focused on employees, members or customer service in general.
    I felt the senior management like a gang if you voice your opinion you are the enemy and you kiss your job good bye. They need to pay for employee parking at Falls Church.

To focus more on H.E.W employees development

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A long struggle to help members and staff due to poor methods of management.

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Promoted several times over many years with good salary increases.

Cons

Management was always slow to make even small, obvious changes. Management would listen to some staff ideas but rarely supported thru the application phase. It took management over 15 years for us to begin to update core software, thus members have suffered and potentially talented staff have not been hired or have left, or worse terminated usually without a reason other than its just not working out. Management provided no path for staff advancement, learning or salary structure so you could see what you could earn in current position or the next level, these levels did not exist. Many years it seemed we were just going thru the motions with operational projects that management never made a reality for our staff and members. Senior managements salary structure seemed very high compared to regular staff in terms of annual salary and retirement benefits. Benefits such as sick pay and vacation accrue at poor rates. Absent of a formally trained HR focused manager for most of my time here, anything HR, primarily overall work culture and advocacy for staff suffered due to lack of ideas and change and helps explain in some part the very high turnover rate of staff, especially branch and department managers and HR normal staff.

Consider retirement, you have had a good run, but families are suffering now, staff and members.

Its good to know some organizations get it all wrong again and again as HEW FCU demonstrates.

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

I struggle with answering this question because one would think their must be at-least a few good reasons to work for any organization. I have only one during my time at HEW FCU. I learned how to better identify back stabbing employees and navigate their world in order to mitigate my own problems.

Cons

Little community involvement and nothing fun is really offered to the staff to foster a positive healthy working friendships/environment. The best day I worked at HEW was my first day and last day, all in-between years was like living on a playground:

Poor training
    Formal education of staff and senior staff poor
    Senior staff takes retribution on staff vs. helping to coach/set personal and organizational goals
    Little changes in 15 years, old furniture and infrastructure
    Very poor benefits yet senior staff is payed very well and have their own DCP retirement plan separate from regular staff who have received in comparison little to no raises and bonuses in many years.
    Unfriendly personalities to work with, not people oriented.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

Benefits comparable with other financial organizations
    They promote from within

Cons

I wish that we were in other near by cities near other government agencies

Continue to move us upward

Chaos at most times followed by long periods of senior management on vacation.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

The city in DC and surrounding Virginia/Maryland areas is very pretty and offers a plethora of outdoor activities and city happenings within a short drive or regional rail.
    I love what I do and enjoy doing it when I am allowed to actually use all of my skills I have obtained and are required of my position.
    There is so much work to be done that anyone who desires to work on many different things not in your direct area will love being surrounded by endless projects.

Cons

Remember the scene near the start in the movie V for Vendetta when the 5-6 departments heads are being interrogated by the over-all leader; and one of them provides his professional analysis and the over-all leader in charge says, spare us your professional analysis they are irrelevant. This sums up HEW culture perfectly.
    Projects never end, there seems to be no positive outcome when they do and they often end with half of what we could have done because we are told we dont have the money.
    Advice from senior management is lacking in the form of growth within your position and allowing you to take courses off-site to help you and the organization.
    There is no set salary structure, reviews are not completed thoroughly and often late.
    When I offer advice to senior management it is often used against me at some point or others take credit.
    I do not trust most of the staff and especially no senior management to confide in them on any matter being there is no HR department to manage laws and regulations.
    It always seems to be raining at the HQ no matter how good the weather outside; senior management is rarely if ever in a good mode and thus the entire environment reeks of negativity and frowns.
    Our membership base has long since gone to other organizations to build true relationships as senior management eroded all the relationships prior created over 15 years ago.
    Problem is nothing has changed in many years here and now they may be trying to change many pieces at once but still with some of the wrong core issues and the people running it who really do not want to change their own ways being it will expose what a shame they have puled over on the board, staff, and community for so many years.
    No one can seem to get more than a day or two off in a row unless you are senior management; they are gone for several weeks at a time, sometimes entire months several times a year. Nothing gets done during this time because no one has the authority to make any real decisions or spend money.

My advice to a small few senior managers would be to retire. The other managers need to take courses on how the lead and manage staff. Hire a true formally trained VP of HR (part of the senior team) and allow them to create an environment of trust, dedicated staff, reporting directly to senior management. The board must bring in true experienced leadership or we will continue to fade-away as a valid partner in the community. Board, stop spending money on consultants, you are not large and they don't know all of your business issues. Allow the people in the positions they are professionals in to do their job and make decisions. Hire the right people to make the changes from within; this is what you pay them for. Simply changing the business name and tweaking marketing/business development is not the total anecdote, think bigger and more wisely and save some of the good parts of the legacy you have created by showing you know how to build for the future.

Not really a challenging place to work, slow to change methods.

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is average not poor. Nice staff but they are poorly educated in job roles and experiences. 9-5 day, easy work.

Cons

No raises or bonuses are bad. Benefits are poor. Management talk as if they own us and personal lives. Offices are old.

Keep trying to change. Hire educated people. Do more doing and less planning about day to day things staff handle. Stop sweating the small stuff.

Clumsy and awkward management bound on path of little to no changes

I have been working at HEW Federal Credit Union

Pros

You rarely see senior management because they never come see the members or staff at the branches. If I don't say anything positive or negative and make no suggestions management may leave you alone and you can miss the layoffs as they seem to identify people they view as an intellectual threat.

Cons

Reviews are late or never. No set salary structure. No benefits to being a member at the CU. Staff benefits are very poor. Working environment is dull, boring and creativity is not encouraged.

I have no idea how to tell senior management how to change, they would just terminate me or make my life very bad. It is so bad I am not sure any advice can really fix this place short of senior staff being replaced. So much is wrong here being its run by a select few individuals who are accountable to no one for so many years.

Worked for HEW Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!