HFP Capital Markets

HFP Capital Markets Reviews in New York, NY

Updated May 22, 2014

Geoffrey Byruch

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you put the time in you will succeed

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou have to work hard and study to get your series exams done than you can make money.

ConsIf you don't make sales your just another person that knows how to dial the phone.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually help teach people how to become successful in this industry don't just hand them a phone.

bad place

Fixed Asset Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosthere are no pros its a bad place to work at

Consthe people there are racistis

Advice to Senior ManagementNONE

OK to get your foot in the door...

Sales and Trading Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve sales force more in financial aspects

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern-Stock Broker trainee

Stock Broker Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Descent training process
    -Better understanding of the finance industry

Cons-Cold Calling all day long
    -Getting coffee for other workers
    -Nothing but a boiler room operation
    -Little opportunities for job growth

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your workers.

This place is a joke

Trianee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis place is a joke

ConsIm pretty sure this place will get closed down. No supervision. Screaming at people over the phone. Long hours just a terrible environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a high school diploma

Disorganized

Broker Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- potential for unlimited salary
    - some great guys in the office
    - some of the senior guys are very helpful

Cons- extremely disorganized
    - what seemed to me was a 'shady' background of the company
    - 'shady' background of the president/future C.E.O.
    - one is worried about loosing his/her job every day since individuals get fired for ridiculous reasons
    - 'boiler room' like atmosphere
    - extremely low base salary for trying to live in NYC

Advice to Senior Management- increase the base salary
    - be more honest about the company's background
    - offer more benefits to employees
    - be much more organized
    - increase space

great experience

Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proslong pay int he long run

Conshard to start as a trainee

Advice to Senior Managementhigher pay in the beginning

Worst Company EVER!

Lead Qualifier (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI cannot think of any.

ConsComplete Boiler Room, and they promised me a salary and ended up paying me way less. Stay AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Terrible experience

Registered Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGet sponsored for Series 7 & Series 63

ConsExtremely low pay, even by industry standards. Terrible working environment. No opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your talent better, pay them for the work they've done and maybe the revolving door at the front of your office will stop spinning.

I was lied to from day one!!!!

Registered Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey will sponsor you for your series 7 & 63, they buy good leads. It is a young environment where dont have to be very professional

ConsIts essentially a pyramid scheme where thew top 5 guys make money off the jr. brokers before firing you or bringing in new ones. They tell you the obligation (50 qualified accounts, recently changed to 100) is the tough part and if you can make it through that, the big money starts to come in. However, very few guys are given the chance to actually get through the obligation, and 80% of the brokers that do were fired within 2 months of getting through their obligation losing any chance to make real money because the accounts you get no longer go to your senior broker.

Senior brokers are uneducated for the most part, while the other half is either college dropouts or just high school like the head of retail. There are no CFA's or MBA's and they have an inferiority complex to all the bigger firms. HFP is one of the least paying firms out there.

There is no talk or understanding of the market as you are just told to push the product they need to be sold. Although not a boiler room (because they are selling real products) they are selling very bad investments under the guise of being safe that even the head guys do not understand. I am aware of plently of securities that HFP sold of companies the ended up going bankrupt.

You expected to work 3 saturdays a month and until 9pm during the week (In at 7am)

Most of the senior brokers do not have clean licenses and you can look that up on brokercheck, the head of the firm can not even sell securities in a bunch of states and another state is suing the firm. They are currently spending a lot of money on PR and want only good things to be seen when you search them. Including this site so be aware of what looks like what may be done by a PR pro, it likely is because nobody is happy at this firm except for the top 5 guys. Even the few mid-level guys I have heard are scared for their jobs now that they are making really good money because they do not reach quotas. And because of how the contract is structured they can fire you whenever they want down the road no questions ask. You have to sign it... Best of luck though

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate jr brokers for the work they do and earn. You know they are very underpaid and the obligation standards just arent feasible with the current pay structure

Worked for HFP Capital Markets? Contribute to the Community!