HGST

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Cordano

Pros
  • work-life balance is good,less pressure on newbies (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits, team work across the organization (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many meetings that lead to no real action items to be solved - wasting time and effort (in 3 reviews)

• Culture - leaves alot to be desired; difficult to adopt new or change (inherited from old IBM) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

SAP Crystal Report Developer

SAP BOBJ (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA Datamart was formed on campus and building infrastructure in Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

ConsReports have been designed to see the available space, campus area, total capacity, and occupancy in a campus/building.

Advice to Senior ManagementSAP Crystal reports was a source to create all those reports based on user requirement.

Overall decent experience

ProsCompany has industry leading flash technology at customer disposal. Great technical resources at headquarters

Conssmall minded thinking in sales cycle. inexperienced leadership in Gov and Defense sector. No end to end solution besides PCIe cards to offer customer base

Mixed experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros1. Great experience
    2. #1 in enterprise storage - only one other real competitor
    3. Good compensation package

Cons1. Poor location and benefits
    2. No work-life balance
    3. Old school thinking permeates organization

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture of the organization. Let go of the past - look to the future. Be nimble, think different. The competition isn't Seagate anymore.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, could be better with a little more effort

Pros- Competitive pay rate but could be better
    - Great work life balance. Understanding managers and flexible with hours
    - Some pretty solid benefits. Crossfit, premium coffee, cell phone discounts

Cons- Always seems to behind the rest of the industry. Slow to come out with new products
    - Constantly shuffling people around, which creates confusion. I had 3 different managers in 6 months at one point
    - Communication gap between US and overseas teams are prevalent in some areas.
    - Seems to be hard to get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementDouble check that organizational decisions make sense rather than just making a move for the sake of making one.

Great place to work!

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood benefits, team work across the organization. Ability to learn and progress up when there is an opportunity. People in most cases are professionals.

ConsWork is always on the line. Many things have to be done from today for yesterday and some are not done for weeks or months. Management will push, but will not provide necessary time and resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo listen more carefully to valuable employees and learn from them when possible. No one was born knowing everything - we learn and improve everyday.

Good company to work for

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI have always heard that HDD industry salaries are about 10 to15% higher than Semiconductor industry

ConsBenefits have continuously been reduced since I began in 2001, although recently some benefits are coming back.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Production planner

Production Planner (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe division was purchased by another company. Some of products are obsoleted and some are still going.

ConsLots of people left the company for they think job cut. It's like a sinking shipping with all the mice leaving it.

Fun multidisciplinary

Failure Analyst - Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsGreat people with challenging work. HDD very complex systems. Teams work across many time zones and international borders. Easy learning opportunities (classes and wiki).

ConsWay too many meetings - sometimes leaves little time for the actual work. Weird management org chart - may report to one manager be in team run by someone reporting to another manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately my manager was not very competent and was in fact removed from the position soon after I left there. As far as other mangers were concerned they mostly seemed very good and cooperative.
    I liked the monthly general "pep talk" meetings.

Excellent Company to work for.

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsLeadership is exceptional. Great values & work culture. Compensation and Benefits are good.

ConsNone in particular in 3 yrs of experience.

asic verification engineer

ProsIt is a great work place to work.

Consi dont see any cons.

Worked for HGST? Contribute to the Community!