HHC Bellevue Hospital Reviews

1. No place like it,

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital

Pros

Great place to learn all aspects of Facilities Management / Design and Construction, Great Benefits, sick time and Vacation time off.

Cons

As it is a public institution, the pay is on the low side of Private industry

Advice to Management

Take good care of your entry level staff, Many will devote their talents over the course of their career to Bellevue and stay if they are allowed to advance internally rather than leave.

2. A place to start but not the place to pursue your career

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, union, secure city job, exposure to high acuity patients=good experience. My co-workers on my unit were great to work with.

Cons

Management is reactive rather than proactive. They are not good at following systematic problem solving techniques. Few opportunities for advancement. Very unsafe staffing conditions for nurses and techs. Little recognition for good work. Management does not have the power to let go of staff who are chronically late and have poor work attitudes putting pressure on staff who are consistent and have good work ethic. Very little support for new hires after orientation (we always laughed and called it "baptism by fire" but it really isn't funny when you consider patient safety). Nurses and techs frequently get floated which lowers morale. Overall, people at Bellevue, in all departments, seem so unhappy. It is contagious if you aren't careful.

Advice to Management

Learn how to prioritize and manage major problems on your units effectively (patient safety, safe staffing, poor staff work ethic etc.) before you nit pick at your good staff about things that aren't nearly as important (e.g. "you only completed 99,999 of the 100,000 useless daily checklists we created" ~not an actual quote). Improve opportunities for advancement. Standards of professionalism need to be higher.

3. Guaranteed Job Security if you Become Permanent BUT Terrible if you are a Temp Employee.

I worked at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are permanent you are untouchable
    If you are permanent the benefits are awesome!
    Free health insurance!
    There are great people there.
    If you want job security, never be late, you don't even have to be good at your job, unless you are a nurse or doctor.
    As supportive staff you have the easiest job ever.
    It's hard to get fired unless you are late/absent all the time or if you steal.

Cons

Moving up can take years
    For every 1 great person there are two negative and closed minded people.
    Too many politics
    Part time staff work harder (because they are hoping to become permanent) than full time staff for lesser pay.
    No incentive for permanent staff to be more productive after becoming permanent.
    If you are looking to change the morale here for the better, good luck. You might have better luck bashing your head against the wall (at least you'll already be at a hospital).

Advice to Management

Get cozy with management
    Go over and beyond at your job
    Always do overtime and stay overnight if in a 24-hour department

5. Clerical Associate

I worked at HHC Bellevue Hospital

Pros

I worked as temp position. All the coworker are nice and everyone try to help you if you dont understand. Try to ask question.

Cons

THey did not pay for lunch time. But they have great benefit since their part of city job. Its very hard to get in even you work as temp.

6. Incompetent management, lack of professionalism.

Former Employee - CDI in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CDI in New York, NY

I worked at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is cohesive, but the director tried to split the staff up and cause friction.
    The staff managed to maintain an air of civility.
    I enjoyed working with the MD's and the staff on my assigned units.

Cons

The Director's leadership style was very incon even though you completed it to her specifications. 12-13 employees have left the Dept since Hurricane Sandy. She herself was asked to leave. 12/26/14 she fired me and then on 12/27/14 was her last day.
    She said my work was poor and I caused problems.
    That department is being investigated, inspite of the fact that I have been askng for help over one year.

Advice to Management

Listen to you staff with an open mind. Don't be judgemental. Try not to be insecure when a staff member attemps to gain more information about the position.
    The Director should have management and administrative experience and the Academic credentials and background to support the position.

7. Stressfull

Current Employee - HCCPA in New York, NY
    Current Employee - HCCPA in New York, NY

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall internment is welcoming. The employees are nice and it relatively the place is clean.

Cons

Horrible management, they need to be treating fairly rather than constantly pulling ranks!!

Advice to Management

Let staff have a say...Management needs to think of staff as humans not like some low lifes

Generational differences

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital

Pros

People who believe in its mission to provide quality healthcare to everyone, regardless to the ability to pay. Good relationships with co-workers.

Cons

No clear career path. Pay is below market. No raises. Management/leadership message doesn't trickle down to the frontline staff. Constantly doing the same thing expecting different results. Union labor makes it very difficult to motivate. Some people have been there for 10+ years and not looking to go anywhere else. Very hard to get rid of bad apples.

9. A public entity owned by a semi-private corporation.

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My direct supervisor is very supportive and easy to talk to. Additionally many of my coworkers have an amazing work ethic.

Cons

Many of the HHC employees are apathetic as they have been working for the corporation for 15+ years, this attitude can at times make it nearly impossible to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Keep a stiff upper lip and try not to take things home with you at the end of the day.

A place to get some professional practice after graduation and move on ASAP

Current Employee - Dietitian in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Dietitian in New York, NY

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital

Pros

Good vacation and sick time

Cons

No way for promotion. Managing company is Sodexo, who treating the HHC dietitians terribly and there is no option to grow and step up the ladder. Sodexo management is very manipulative, they look to write up employees for every little thing. They micromanage, yet they believe they are not.

Advice to Management

Leave HHC or open senior dietitian positions within HHC.

great learning environment for providers

I have been working at HHC Bellevue Hospital full-time

Pros

helping people in need, does not turn anyone away

Cons

low pay for nyc hospital

RSS Feed </> Embed