HK Global Duty Free Reviews

Ross Khaledi

1. The worst family to work for...EVER

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at HK Global Duty Free full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While there, my co-workers were nice, helpful and pleasant to be around.

Cons

HR was a joke. The three brothers that own it are a joke; all three are mean and only have one volume when they speak; loud and angry. I do believe some shady stuff was going on while I was there. For example, I was told by management to come up with a fake name and fake email address in order to try and buy perfumes from a third party dirt cheap to sell in the duty free stores.

Advice to Management

To the three brothers; learn to treat all your employees like valued employees. If you take care of them, then maybe you would actually have a competent business model with less turnover. I bet that turnover is costing you tons of money, but you don't care. You have your fancy sports cars, fancy dinners and live the life of luxury while your employees do your grunt and shady work for you - all while not being compensate adequately.

2. WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!!

I worked at HK Global Duty Free

Pros

Easy to get hired mostly because no one wants to work for them

Cons

Owners feel like they are still in Mexico and that the employees are somehow indebted to them. They curse and yell for the slightest discrepancy and everyone in the company loves to point fingers instead of problem solving mostly due to the fear of the owners reaction to the situation. Employees are fired DAILY well the ones that dont quit first. Bonuses and comissions are a way to lure you in but arent paid. Does anything else need to be said?? Just in case, theres also no health insurance, less than 1 week of vacation after the first year. 3 days to be exact, no sick time until January 1st of the year following your anniversary date.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes! You are the problem!

3. great company to work for

Current Employee - Management in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Laredo, TX

I have been working at HK Global Duty Free full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

growing and fast paced company , benefits up to national standards for companies this size , great prices for retail specially on electronics and watches. Very customer and sales oriented , clean and well stocked stores, fast service , great place if you are bilingual in English and Spanish because all locations are located on the USA / Mexico border area

Cons

growing pains like every other growing company , need more time with new systems

one star for rating too many

I have been working at HK Global Duty Free full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

at first friendly owners, can learn from them, both positive and negative.

Cons

no growth no raises, low pay. treated people with little to no respect. a lot of fighting and yelling.

Advice to Management

sell business and move to mexico

6. Horrible company

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at HK Global Duty Free full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are very few good aspects to working for this company. You may get a decent starting pay with promised bonuses, but the pay will be slashed 20-40% within the first year and bonuses/commissions do not get paid. My salary was cut by over 25% and I had friends who lost 40% of theirs within the first year.

Cons

Bad pay, no benefits, little to no training, little to no paid leave, horrific communication within company, incredibly high turnover, no trust from upper management to any employee, too much micro-managing by upper management, ... There were conversations with management over a bonus structure for my position, but there was never anything that was followed through on. Many employees that were eligible for bonuses/commissions were force to file claims with the state or file suit in order to get them. Pay is well below average and the only way to get a raise was by threatening to leave. Salaried employees were often asked to work 60+ hours with no overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Follow through on your promises, pay a decent salary to new employees, and hire some people who know what they are doing.

7. Don't work for this company

Former Employee - Buyer in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Buyer in Missoula, MT

I worked at HK Global Duty Free full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't think of any....my only recommendation would be to not take a job with this company.

Cons

They gave everyone a 20% pay cut and took away all benefits. Turnover is horrible. Management is horrible. No one communicates - they just yell.

Advice to Management

Don't buy businesses you can't handle.

8. HKG Duty Free / HK Global Trading

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at HK Global Duty Free

Pros

Interesting people to work with.

Cons

Salary is well below national average. Only commission based usually 6% on profit only and not sales. I found my commission was cut to half due to overhead costs. Worked 10-12 hour days for minimal pay. The merchandise is tough to sell because it is older and other vendors have much better cost. No insurance although I was told I would get it after 90 days. Employee turnover is pretty high.

Advice to Management

Please train your employees. Update the AS400 system (1988). Put the employee first, they are people.

Review

I worked at HK Global Duty Free

Pros

Enrichment from Customer contact and relations. Communication among same level employees. Merchandise environment. Inventory supervision. Entrepreneur approach. Clean areas.

Cons

Owners request too much from employees. Long hours. Very high turnover. System flaws. not enough employees on peak seassons. Not follow marketing lead concepts. Saving too much resources affects performance of business.

Advice to Management

Listen more to low employees. Invest the rigth way. Look to keep employees that can make you richer.

RSS Feed </> Embed